Windows 10: Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Discus and support Should I upgrade to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an HP Pavilion 20-b010 all-in-one. I'm a little hesitant to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 due to specs of the hp. I know what the Microsoft specs are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by copiman, Feb 25, 2018.

1. copiman Win User

Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

I have an HP Pavilion 20-b010 all-in-one. I'm a little hesitant to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 due to specs of the hp. I know what the Microsoft specs are for 10 but I have concerns that their specs are under rated when it come to the real operation of Windows 10. I would like to get input from those who know the real deal. Here are the specs of the HP:

AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.4GHz

4.00 GB RAM (3.58 usable)

Currently 8.1 64-bit

:)

copiman, Feb 25, 2018

2. I should wait to upgrade ?

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone) will only be free for computers already running Windows 10.

Frequently
    Asked Questions Windows 10 Anniversary Edition codename Redstone

also see:

Windows
    10 Free Upgrade On Schedule to End July 29TH 2016 - What are your options?

I would upgrade to Windows 10 now while I can.

then try upgrading manually:

Option 1:

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

How to create a ISO or USB drive.

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? [​IMG]

Option 2:

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Andre Da Costa, Feb 25, 2018
  3. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

If you have windows 7, do not up-date
    to Windows 10 or 8 it's a no ending pain! I wanted to go back to Windows 7, as Windows 8 was almost as bad as Windows 10, which is worse! Besides going back to Windows 7 and 8 are out-of-date! Bummer!

Arlene Day, Feb 25, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, best thing is- try it. Performance also depends on your personal needs. Whilst plenty of PCs not rated officially to run Win 10 by the manufacturer do so, that naturally carries a degree of risk.

1. Create a disk image of Windows-all partitions necessary- of what you have now (we strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging for recovery from bad scenarios). E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).
    2. Upgrade and try it.

If you don't like it, you have two ways to revert:
    a. Within 10 days - roll back to previous build is available.
    b. Restore your disk image.

dalchina, Feb 25, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have discovered that the less powerful a computer is that the more benefit is gained from the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2018
  6. copiman Win User
    OK, I will try it. Will do image with Relect, I really like Reflect. Thanks for you input.

copiman, Feb 25, 2018
  7. Hi,
    Personally I'd just restore the system image "needs to be tested anyway" to another hdd or ssd and upgrade it to 10 keeping the original intact.

ThrashZone, Feb 25, 2018
  8. roy111 Win User

In my experience win 8.1 is the less resource hungry windows, but win 10 has more features like cortana, edge and more upgrades.

roy111, Feb 25, 2018
  9. copiman Win User
    In the process now. May have to delay, friend in hospital. Will post results later.

copiman, Feb 25, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Hope things are well with your friend
    Best reason to keep the original 8.1 intact is the fact 99.9% of the time one will have to clean install 10 to get rid of the upgrade bugs that will surface soon after
    Restoring 8.1 why risk it keep it as is reinstall the original sdd/ hdd when and if you want too *Wink

Use shutup10 might curb some of the new annoyances of win-10.

ThrashZone, Feb 25, 2018
  11. An old computer with 4 GB RAM doesn't need Windows 10. I really think it needs to be replaced. Is that possible/reasonable for you?

margrave55, Feb 26, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    In my opinion this comment is complete rubbish.

4GB RAM is ample for simple tasks (Office, Web, etc). I run Windows 10 on a 2006 MacBook which had 3GB RAM (maxed out) and after one stick broke now has 1GB. It works fine running Windows 10. Slow, but fine.

I don't think I'd buy a new computer with only 4GB of RAM but what do you suggest? Throw old computers in the landfill? Keep on running a less efficient OS? I'm confused really.

13. f14tomcat Win User

*Ditto

And even if it were replaced, there's a very good chance it would come with Windows 10 anyway, don't ya think? *Wink

f14tomcat, Feb 26, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    None of mine have more than 4GB, I've not seen any problems or noticed any lack of speed. A heavy Gamer may need a lot more, but for general use (Office, browsing, and the like) it should be sufficient.

15. Bat 1 Win User
    Not knowing the Hours put on the HDD but given it's age *Think replacing the HDD would seem like a good option. It is a little more complicated versus a Desktop however but there are many YouTube vids like this one on doing it: HP Pavilion 20 All-In-One teardown/take apart - YouTube

If the HDD were to Test Good, the OP could also look into installing Win 10 in a Native Boot VHD instead ??

I recently gifted several HP desktops that I didn't need anymore after dropping out from the Warez/torrent sites *Redface I had been running Win 10 on them but rolled them back to Win 7 before I gave them away. Most people in the rural area where I live are still running dial-up *Shock or have a DSL connection that isn't much faster *Sad Pretty hard to run Win 10 with a connection like that.

Bat 1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade

2. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  3. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  4. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  5. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  8. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  9. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  10. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...