Windows 10: Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?

Discus and support Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think you're making good choices and decisions as you work your way through the buying process -- the biggest portion of which is the research,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Jan 22, 2017.

1. EdTittel Win User

Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?

I think you're making good choices and decisions as you work your way through the buying process -- the biggest portion of which is the research, weighing the options and the budget. My first computer was a 512K Macintosh SE ("Fat Mac") purchased in 1984, and I stayed with Apple until 1994, while learning DOS and Windows over that time period. I eventually moved away from Apple because of what you also appear to be recognizing: that you have to spend 2x to get the same power/capacity/etc as on Windows. True then, apparently still true today. For many, it's worth it because of the improved stability and usability. For some, it's not.
    Keep at it, and enjoy your purchase, whatever it may be.
    --Ed--

PS: I do have at least one triumphant Apple success story to share: I bought an Apple LaserWriter in 1987 and kept it until 2009 at which point I gave it to a friend/colleague who needed a printer. AFAIK, it's still running today. The early models were built like tanks, and lasted quite, quite well.

EdTittel, Jan 30, 2017
  2. bobkn Win User

"Apple's was that much better"? I'm not a computer engineer, but that sounds like total made-up nonsense. The hardware "architecture" of a modern Intel Mac is all Intel. There's nothing there that is proprietary to Apple. (Corrections welcome, but not expected.)

Have you heard of a "Hackintosh"? That's the Mac OS installed on non-Apple hardware. I'm not suggesting that (mostly because I expect that it's not worth the trouble), but it may suggest how different the "architecture" of a Mac is from a Windows PC. That is to say, not different at all.

You might be ecstatic to own the iMac, but I can't recommend basing your choice on what that character is telling you.

bobkn, Jan 30, 2017
  3. @DavidY It is only an OEM version of Windows that is tied to the specific hardware with which it was sold, irrespective of whether the upgrade to Windows 10 has been taken. A retail version of Windows (which ship69 has) can be transferred to another PC provided that it is de-activated from the previous one, i.e. it should ever be used on more than one machine at any time.

MikeinGrange, Jan 31, 2017
  4. DavidY Win User

Yes if it was a retail version of windows 10, but I think ship69 has a retail version of 8.1 and hoping that by upgrading that to Windows 10, the Windows 10 licence can be transferred across.

I don't think the free upgrade works that way, because at the point of upgrading, the digital entitlement is based on the hardware of the upgraded machine (in this case, an older one), not the product key.

Certainly ship69 has rights to transfer the retail version of 8.1 on another machine, but I'm not sure that Windows 10-upgraded-from-8.1 will transfer in the same way, at least not by my reading of the Win10 free upgrade offer details (when the upgrade was current).

DavidY, Feb 1, 2017
  5. ship69 Win User
    I asked Microsoft by webchat and they thought it would work. That said, I don't 100% trust the muppets on their webchat, but that's gonna have to be good enough for me.

ship69, Feb 1, 2017
  6. Teflon Win User
    My understanding is that Win 10 is now linked to your Microsoft account ( assuming you're using one) rather than the hardware. Certainly, mine states: "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account." and I upgraded (for free) from an OEM edition of Win 7. Furthermore, a month or so ago I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, graphics card, and hard drive (basically a new PC) and retained my Windows license, although I did have to use the "activation troubleshooter" to transfer it across. (see here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...troubleshooter )

Apologies if this has already been said, as I have to confess I haven't read the entire thread.

Cliff

Teflon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade buy

2. Will I have to buy a new license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I have to buy a new license?: My husband's computer was borked due to the combination of a Windows Update and a bad disk drive. I am having to totally replace the drive that had Windows installed on it, and reinstall Windows 11. Am I going to have to buy a whole new license or is there a way to use his...
  3. Will I have to buy a new license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will I have to buy a new license?: My husband's computer was borked due to the combination of a Windows Update and a bad disk drive. I am having to totally replace the drive that had Windows installed on it, and reinstall Windows 11. Am I going to have to buy a whole new license or is there a way to use his...
  4. Should I buy a GPU?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I buy a GPU?: I'm still struggling with forcing the i3 9100 to run at full powerthe computer technician near my house says that use extra GPURTX, GTX or others actually make it run at full turbo boost speed 4.2 GHzso, it that real and which should I buy?as cheap as possible...
  5. Should i buy this mouse?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i buy this mouse?: Hi, i found this mouse here, i believe this company is partnered with another cause i found one called the zelotes t60 mouse , and they are almost identicle. and in a video it said that the og mouse is also manufactured by many different brands such as victsing and more....
  6. Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro: So the issue is this, I have had my computer for just over two years. The motherboard is giving me issues, at first it was sound issues, now it's intermittently freezing. Like controls/screen freezes for like 5 seconds, drops internet than starts again. I will be getting a...
  7. What should I upgrade?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What should I upgrade?: Computer type: PC/Desktop OS: Microsoft Windows 10 CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.50Ghz Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 Memory: 8 GB Graphics Card(s): AMD Radeon RX 570 Browser: Google Chrome Antivirus: Windows Defender The overall performance of my computer is going down, I...
  8. what should i upgrade first on a potato pc

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    what should i upgrade first on a potato pc: i have an i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz 4GB ram NVIDIA GeForce 605 graphics card and a low budget everything else pls help
  9. Upgraded, not activated, which product should I buy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded, not activated, which product should I buy?: Hi People and thanks for taking the time to read and help, My problem is ... I currently live in China and I bought a Dell G7, obviously the OS was in Chinese. I couldn't change the language to English as i needed to update to pro. I didn't check to see if the product...
  10. Getting a new drive what Windows key should I buy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting a new drive what Windows key should I buy?: Hi, buying a new drive what type of key should I buy. A genuine one or an OEM? I've never understood the differences between the two of them. 78925