Windows 10: should I use a standard user account?

Discus and support should I use a standard user account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is it still recommended to do your daily tasks in a non-administrator user account, or is that obsolete advice in windows 8-10? 43250 Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by shmu26, Mar 6, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

should I use a standard user account?

Is it still recommended to do your daily tasks in a non-administrator user account, or is that obsolete advice in windows 8-10?

:)

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016

2. BSOD on OneNote 2016 after Upgrade to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709

Same here. Onenote 2016 on Win 1709 leads to system_service_exception in
    win32kbase.sys, mainly when zooming in or out. Installed new graphics driver, switched off hardware acceleration in Onenote. Did not help.

Microsoft, do something!

Standard User, Mar 6, 2016
  3. greghollo Win User
    Should I have 2 users 1 admin & 1 standard

I understand that an admin user runs same as a standard user & invokes admin status when admin permission is needed in an ElevatedUI (not sure that I understand ElevatedUI). Therefore if I use my computer with an Admin user for day to day activity I will
    be as secure as running a Standard user the same as long as I pay attention to what I give permission for. If that is the case should I have a Admin user that I do not ever use, that has limited applications & maybe no network access in case I get myself in
    trouble?

greghollo, Mar 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Personally, my Microsoft Account login has administrator privileges. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a main user account with user privileges and a seperate local account with administrator privileges.

What you absolutely do NOT want to do is rely upon or use the built-in Administrator account as your routine administrator account.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  5. shmu26 Win User
    Sorry, I didn't get it. What is the built-in admin account? Is is the microsoft user account that windows 10 wants you to set up upon installation?
    And what is bad about it?

shmu26, Mar 6, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    excerpt from this tutorial :
    administrator user - Is an unelevated administrator account that is created by default during the installation of Windows, or is already setup for you on an OEM (ex: Dell) computer. This account can be a local account or Microsoft account. An administrator account has complete access to the computer, and can make any desired changes. If an administrator user tries to do something that requires elevated rights (ex: run as administrator), Windows will display a UAC prompt for the administrator user to approve before allowing the action.

Built-in "Administrator" - The hidden built-in elevated "Administrator account" is a local account that has full unrestricted access rights to the PC. By default, this "Administrator" account will not be prompted by UAC. Anything that runs while signed in to this "Administrator" account will also have full unrestricted access to the PC, so it is not recommended to use the built-in "Administrator" account for everyday usage. It's recommended to only use the built-in "Administrator" account as needed instead.

RE : Is it still recommended to do your daily tasks in a non-administrator user account, or is that obsolete advice in windows 8-10?
    This tune has seldom been played nowadays.

My personal opinion only : To me such an advice is obsolete.
    However, for beginners or under-aged people who require parental supervision, a Standard account is absolutely recommended.

davidhk, Mar 6, 2016
  7. Barman58 Win User
    The tokenized Administrator is a short cut system to the way that Professional system administrators have used for many years, they would always have a standard user for day to day use and only use their administrator user when required. In a networked system this meant that they saw the system as a user so could see any problems and correct them quickly, the issue was that they would need to change users, (log out as the standard user and login as admin), or actually visit the server location, every time they needed to do any admin work, the Microsoft system eliminates the annoyances, but retains the security of a two user system ... Also if a standard user is met by a UAC prompt an Admin can simply enter credentials to continue with out the need to log out the standard user.

The UAC prompt is a well thought out security model as when it does pop-up only the mouse and keyboard have access to it, this means that if you do not know the required access credentials you are not getting in *Wink

Barman58, Mar 6, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

You are welcome.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. should I use a standard user account? - Similar Threads - should standard user

2. Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11: I have always used two accounts for personal computers using Windows since XP days, an admin account plus a standard user account and I always advise friends and family to do the same. I am very disappointed that computer manufacturers do not even suggest this for new...
  3. Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows accounts - advice using admin + standard user on W11: I have always used two accounts for personal computers using Windows since XP days, an admin account plus a standard user account and I always advise friends and family to do the same. I am very disappointed that computer manufacturers do not even suggest this for new...
  4. Why can't I use my administrator account to download files on a standard user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I use my administrator account to download files on a standard user account: I have setup a new standard account on a laptop for one of my colleagues with myself as administrator.However when I try to start the download/install for the file on the standard user account I am met with a page asking for credentials which is fine however when I put in the...
  5. Why can't I use my administrator account to download files on a standard user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I use my administrator account to download files on a standard user account: I have setup a new standard account on a laptop for one of my colleagues with myself as administrator.However when I try to start the download/install for the file on the standard user account I am met with a page asking for credentials which is fine however when I put in the...
  6. Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!: i want to ask that becouse my father blocked my user acc from his admin accwhich password i dont know to installing things, so..... i want to know is their a possible way to do remove this from a user acc. Tnx in advance POV: Sry for my grammar, but im not english....
  7. Administer / Standard User Accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administer / Standard User Accounts: I want to set up my Microsoft Account with both an Administrator account for making changes and a Standard User account for everyday use. However, I only have one email address. How can I do this? Or must I run as an administrator all the time?...
  8. Changing Standard user account to Administrator account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing Standard user account to Administrator account: Split from this thread. how do I change administrator on this ProBook s series. administrator passed away gave this laptop to me but cannot change from owner guest to administrator? ***Original title: How do I change administrator on this laptop?***...
  9. About accounts: Admin/Standard user?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    About accounts: Admin/Standard user?: I just did a clean install of W10 for a friend. I havent set up a fresh install of 10 and am familar with the structure of accounts in W7> So. Clarify for me the "rights" of accounts(that i set up) in W10 Do they have adminstrator rights? Plan was to set up and Admin account...
  10. What User Account should I use for PC to be sold

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What User Account should I use for PC to be sold: Glad we could help Greg.