Windows 10: Should my Microsoft Account have administrator privileges?

Discus and support Should my Microsoft Account have administrator privileges? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just finished reinstalling Windows 10 (Creator version) and decided to have the installation process create a Microsoft Account instead of bypassing... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by cjayed, Jun 21, 2017.

1. cjayed Win User

Should my Microsoft Account have administrator privileges?

I just finished reinstalling Windows 10 (Creator version) and decided to have the installation process create a Microsoft Account instead of bypassing that step like I have on other laptops in the past and creating a local account later. After the install I went to Accounts in the settings and saw that the Microsoft Account was listed as an Administrator. I always thought the main user should only have standard privs for security purposes. Thoughts? Should I create a new admin account and try and change the MSA to a standard account?

:)

cjayed, Jun 21, 2017
  2. GF1
    gf1 Win User

Cannot setup new account on computer running Windows 10, Anniversary Update - v1607

Sorry I should have included that in my original post. I am logged into an Administrator account so I should have the authority to create new accounts.

It doesn't say "Local Account Administrator" like in your screen print, it just has my Microsoft account name
    L: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and under that is says "Administrator"

3. Is there some way to continue in Windows Insider program without using a Microsoft Account...

or at least make it a non-administrator account?

I have a problem using my online Microsoft Account if it is an administrator account on my local machine. It violates the very basics of online computer security:

1) If someone manages to guess my password (or manages to steal it) they could potentially have administrator access to my computer. One should never make an online password the same as their login credentials for a local machine, especially if its an administrator
    account.

2) One should never log into their computer as an administrator to perform everyday tasks (something the Microsoft Account was designed for)... e-mail, web browsing, etc...

In order to opt into the Insider Program you must use a Microsoft Account, and it must have administrator access to control the update pace (fast or slow ring) on the local machine... that is insane. The option to opt into the insider program is not on the
    Windows Update page unless the Microsoft Account has administrative privileges.

Is Microsoft considering this security oversight?

archanonetwoseven, Jun 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello cjayed, *Smile

The account you created during Windows Setup will be an administrator by default since you need at least one administrator account on the PC to be able to do anything that requires elevated rights.

Brink, Jun 21, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    The first account created on installing Windows is always an administrator - it has to be, as it's the only account you have and you need to be able to manage your Windows.

It's always a sensible precaution to have at least one more local account that is an administrator. This can be very useful should you need to make emergency repairs. Whether you then keep the Microsoft account as an administrator is a personal choice. As I don't use a MS account I'll leave it to others to advise.

Whatever you do, make sure you have another administrator account and that you can log in to it successfully before you demote the MS account to a standard user!

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That depends on your particular situation. How tech savvy are you when it comes to not changing something you are not supposed to and locking yourself out of your own computer? How much do you know about getting back in should something that you swear is beyond your control happens to lock you out of your account? How often do you do full system image backups? How important is the data you have stored in your user folder?

I only have one user account on my computer, using a Microsoft Account login and it has administrator privileges. All my important data is stored on a NAS (external to the computer). I have never gotten locked out of my account, because if I am going to do something that I think has the possibility of locking me out I create a temporary local administrator account first. If I should get locked out due to some action by Microsoft, I know how to get into my computer via a bootable rescue drive.

If you don't meet all those conditions, then I recommend keeping an extra local account created as administrator for emergency use only. Just don't forget the password to it!

NavyLCDR, Jun 21, 2017
  7. cjayed Win User
    Thanks for the responses. I did create a new user (non-msa) and assigned it Admin privs. Will change the msa to standard user when I finish setting up the laptop.

cjayed, Jun 21, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Make sure you make that change from the new user account you created!

NavyLCDR, Jun 21, 2017
  9. cjayed Win User
    oh shoot...yes of course...THANK YOU!

cjayed, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should my Microsoft Account have administrator privileges? - Similar Threads - Should Microsoft Account

2. Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges: I have Administrator account enabled and the other account on my PC set to standard. I have password prompt active for every administrator privilege. It used to work fine. Always required Administrator password for ie opening Task Manager, uninstalling apps. Now certain apps...
  3. Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Non administrator accounts have administrator privileges: I have Administrator account enabled and the other account on my PC set to standard. I have password prompt active for every administrator privilege. It used to work fine. Always required Administrator password for ie opening Task Manager, uninstalling apps. Now certain apps...
  4. account administrator privileges?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    account administrator privileges?: Before installing a new motherboard and upgrading to windows 11 I was co administrator of a pc account. Not now. How can I recover .... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-administrator-privileges/ed399470-405d-4a34-868e-dcfd2975e0f3
  5. account administrator privileges?

account administrator privileges?: Before installing a new motherboard and upgrading to windows 11 I was co administrator of a pc account. Not now. How can I recover .... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-administrator-privileges/ed399470-405d-4a34-868e-dcfd2975e0f3
  6. My account no longer has admin privileges and should have

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My account no longer has admin privileges and should have: I am trying to restore my computer to factory condition. For some reason, my windows user/account no longer has admin privileges on my personal laptop. I am unable to restore the computer or install programs or anything as it asks to approve the install or whatever but...
  7. My account no longer has admin privileges and should have

My account no longer has admin privileges and should have: I am trying to restore my computer to factory condition. For some reason, my windows user/account no longer has admin privileges on my personal laptop. I am unable to restore the computer or install programs or anything as it asks to approve the install or whatever but...
  8. Administrator account does not seem to have administrator privileges

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator account does not seem to have administrator privileges: I have both local and microsoft accounts, both show as "Administrator". I've set both to be in the "Administrators" group. Yet I still can't use "run as administrator" on either account. There's no error message, just nothing happens at all. I've been all over the net...
  9. Administrator account does not have administrator privileges

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator account does not have administrator privileges: Hello all, my default user account is set up as an administrator account yet still does not have all write privileges needed when installing to certain drives (C, in this case), and I believe it is causing problems with certain software working the way I need it to. Please...
  10. Administrative account with no administrative privileges

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Administrative account with no administrative privileges: Lead up I have been working on an issue where a user cannot open attachments from Outlook in Word. This problem is caused by Word not being able to access the Fonts folder, I need to change the privileges, no clue how it keeps getting changed. Problem I cannot change the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should my microsoft account be standard or administrator?

2. does a microsoft account windows 10 site have administrator privileges

3. administrator privileges reinstalling

4. you must have administrator privileges to install office 265,
  5. why do microsoft accounts have administrative priveleges,
  6. how to make an online microsoft account have admin priv