Windows 10: Should my system files really take up 300 gigs worth of space?

Discus and support Should my system files really take up 300 gigs worth of space? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, it's my first post and all so I'm just going to make this short. Should my system files really take up 300 gigs worth of space? I downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Evergreen, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Evergreen Win User

Should my system files really take up 300 gigs worth of space?

Hi, it's my first post and all so I'm just going to make this short. Should my system files really take up 300 gigs worth of space? I downloaded windows 10 through bootcamp on my mac through USB. I dedicated about half of my computer hard drive space to Windows (about 450ish gigs). But in actuality, I only have about 150 gigs because my system files take up a majority of the storage. I'm assuming that this isn't supposed to happen (but it would really suck if it did)

All help is appreciated!

:)

Evergreen, Jul 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 upgrade-When installing windows 10 do I need to move those files to a different hard drive?

Hello all!

So I have about 300 gigs worth of games and other stuff on my computer. When installing windows 10 do I need to move those files to a different hard drive? Or can I just download windows 10 and have it set up and I'll be on my way playing games after the install?
    How will that work exactly?

AdrianAghaie, Jul 1, 2017
  3. ZanesZoo Win User
    "choose another drive" option not available in Win10 Update Assistant on tablet

There is an OS C: 12.9 G free of 28.4 G in File Explorer. System storage says "16.2 gig used out of 29.1 gig".

There is a System F: 66.8 mb free of 96.0 mb (s/b hidden as I am denied access). This would be Asus's hidden (setup/restore) drive on the primary hard drive. Obviously, a very tiny space.

There is a Data1 D: 465 G free of 465 G. This is the "external USB" drive built into the keyboard (dock).

My C: drive shows:

• 8.58mB eSupport folder,
    • empty PerfLogs folder,
    • 1.22 gig Program Files folder,
    • 50.3 mB Users folder,
    • 11.5 gig Windows folder,
    • 15.1 mb Windows10Upgrade folder,
    • 512 kb mem_dump file, and
    • 61 kb winstatresults file.
    I don't see anything there worth working on to try to free up 3+ gigs of room. According to System Settings, my largest app is MS Office at 586 mb, next largest is Firefox at only 91.6 mb. It would take a long time to delete enough apps to clear off 3
    gig and I would find it hard to believe that I should have to.

Thank you.

ZanesZoo, Jul 1, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

The C:\Windows Folder on mine is about 32GB, the C:\Program Files [32-bit and 64-bit]. The C:\Program Files (x86) [32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows] and ProgramData Folders total about 12GB. Mine may be larger as I have a lot of programs installed but it may also be smaller than others as I have taken to installing larger programs on the D: partition. C: is 150GB and D: is about 780GB, both on the same 1TB HDD.

It may help to run Disk Cleanup, put that in the Search box or just right-click the partition letter, Properties and run it from there. There's 2 choices, the second will clean up old install files.

Berton, Jul 1, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should my system files really take up 300 gigs worth of space? - Similar Threads - Should system files

2. temp files taking up 75 gigs of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    temp files taking up 75 gigs of data: so, i was watching youtube, as you do. i got a notification to clear up my files, i thought "strange, i only ever store files on my d: drive" so i click the notification, and BAM! i got 75 gigs of temp files. so i was like "WHAT IN THE NAME OF-" and tried to clean it up by...
  3. temp files taking up 75 gigs of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    temp files taking up 75 gigs of data: so, i was watching youtube, as you do. i got a notification to clear up my files, i thought "strange, i only ever store files on my d: drive" so i click the notification, and BAM! i got 75 gigs of temp files. so i was like "WHAT IN THE NAME OF-" and tried to clean it up by...
  4. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  5. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  6. System Files taking up too much space

System Files taking up too much space: I've been having storage issues and I checked my system files. Asked a few people and searched it on web and found out that 70GB is too much. I don't know what seems to be the problem since Windows file isn't that huge. How do I fix this?...
  7. System files taking up 150 gigs of space, need help

System files taking up 150 gigs of space, need help: Surely this cant be right? I have run WinDirStat and there is 150 gigs of space just missing, any clue how to clear that up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-files-taking-up-150-gigs-of-space-need-help/65d5282c-e559-4a85-8a3d-1dd913b35a20
  8. System files taking up 85GB of storage space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System files taking up 85GB of storage space: Today I got a system notification on Windows 10 telling me that my C: drive is full, so I checked where most of the used space came from and found this. It seems like 85GB out of my 111GB drive are being occupied by system files, here you can see how 77GB are being used by...
  9. Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really

Temporary Files is taking up 12gb of space but not really: So if I go to my storage settings, it says that Temporary Files are taking up 12gb of space. However when I click on 'Temporary Files', it shows that my downloads take up 6gb of space and the rest take up about 500mb of space. What is taking up the remaining 4.5gb? I...
  10. System files taking up a ton of space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System files taking up a ton of space?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/katkoon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hohbdl/system_files_taking_up_a_ton_of_space/