Windows 10: Should settings revert to default after a Windows Update....

Discus and support Should settings revert to default after a Windows Update.... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; ... and if so, is there any way to prevent this happening ? I have 7 "control" computers & photo kiosks, plus 4 workstations all open networked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by smartcooky, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Should settings revert to default after a Windows Update....

... and if so, is there any way to prevent this happening ?

I have 7 "control" computers & photo kiosks, plus 4 workstations all open networked together (password protected sharing is turned off) with network drives and shared folders all over the place. The "control" computers (DCM, RIP, PCC and the Kiosks) all run turnkey proprietary software. With previous versions of windows that I have used (2000, XP & Seven) settings never changed after an update, but after Win10 updates, I am finding every computer has its network settings reset to "password protected sharing turned on". When this happens, the DCM wont talk to the Kiosks, or the PCC, RIP, and Lab workstations (which also won't talk to each other). While the Lab computers can simply have their settings changed on the fly, I have to disable the turnkey systems by removing their hardlock keys so that the software doesn't start, then change the network settings then shut it down and reinsert the hardlock key and repeat the procedure for all the Kiosks and control computers before rebooting the entire system. It takes about about 60-90 minutes to get up and running after a Win 10 update.

Is there any thing I can to do stop this from happening?

NOTE:
    DCM = Digital Control Module, a server for the Kiosks
    PCC = Printer Control Computer
    RIP = Raw Image Processor, a computer that runs a commercial photo printer

:)

smartcooky, Jul 3, 2017

2. Touchpad settings revert to default after restart on Windows 10

I have been floundering with this for about a year now. I have to do the 13 clicks every time I log on to remove the tapping. Has Microsoft got anything new on this!???

I have tried all these things and still have to do the 13 clicks to disable tapping on the touch pad every time I log on. This has become a major irritation on both my lap tops. Is there anything new from Micro soft on this?

Roy Umhlanga, Jul 3, 2017
  3. Touchpad settings revert to default after restart on Windows 10

I posted this previously tonight ref the same issue -- MS needs to check the code to ensure that the saved profile is being loaded.

I have an HP with Synaptic touch pad. The touch pad/mouse profile worked with the initial download but has not worked since it was upgraded. I have had the issue of the touch pad being enabled after restart or shutdown. I have read posts where it is
    a driver issue or something else. Not the case from my experience.

The issue is that Win 10 is not loading the saved profile associated to disable the touch pad when an external mouse is attached. Win 10 has Alzheimer's and doesn't load the profile.

I saved the profile under the same saved profile name after I checked disable pointing device, clicked OK and exited out of settings and restarted Win 10.

I opened up settings and went to mouse and touch pad, additional mouse options, clicked on profiles, loaded the saved profile. Touch pad was disabled as I checked the touch pad to make sure that it was disabled.

Many times I had saved that profile after checking the disable internal pointing device which led me to believe that the profile was not being loaded.

It worked for me .. so try it as I don't use a touch pad for anything.

Road Ranger, Jul 3, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Should settings revert to default after a Windows Update....

Yes, frequently Upgrades changes customized things versus most updates that I've gotten don't. Note the difference [regardless of what Microsoft calls them], historically a Version number change is an Upgrade while a Build is an update. I consider the Build to be similar to the older Service Pack. The Version Upgrade changes can only be prevented by not allowing the Upgrade be installed. I have programs that survive a Build change [update] but disappear each time an Upgrade is done, prompting reinstall of those programs.

Berton, Jul 3, 2017
Thema:

Should settings revert to default after a Windows Update....

1. Should settings revert to default after a Windows Update.... - Similar Threads - Should settings revert

2. Settings revert after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings revert after Windows update: Everytime Windows 11 updates, settings and functions no longer work the way I had them set up. For example, there is some issue with linking to help in excel. I keep getting an error message "Something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again". I fixed...
  3. Settings revert after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings revert after Windows update: Everytime Windows 11 updates, settings and functions no longer work the way I had them set up. For example, there is some issue with linking to help in excel. I keep getting an error message "Something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again". I fixed...
  4. Desktop and settings reverting to default after restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop and settings reverting to default after restarting: Hello... I have been facing an issue in which my desktop and settings revert to default everytime I restart it. Because of so I have to set my settings and desktop again back to my own settings and personalization. My download and document file also seem to reset everytime I...
  5. Desktop and settings reverting to default after restarting

Desktop and settings reverting to default after restarting: Hello... I have been facing an issue in which my desktop and settings revert to default everytime I restart it. Because of so I have to set my settings and desktop again back to my own settings and personalization. My download and document file also seem to reset everytime I...
  6. Desktop and settings reverting to default after restarting

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows 11 mouse settings revert to default after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 mouse settings revert to default after restart: So, new computer, freshish install of Win 11. In Control panel, change mouse pointer to different size, Apply, save, etc. Works fine. Shut down or restart and cursor is reverted to default. Interestingly, when going back into mouse settings after restart, the desired cursor...
  8. Windows 11 mouse settings revert to default after restart

Windows 11 mouse settings revert to default after restart: So, new computer, freshish install of Win 11. In Control panel, change mouse pointer to different size, Apply, save, etc. Works fine. Shut down or restart and cursor is reverted to default. Interestingly, when going back into mouse settings after restart, the desired cursor...
  9. Laptop is reverting to default setting after restarting the system post windows update of...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop is reverting to default setting after restarting the system post windows update of...: I got windows 1903 update. The update requires a system restart. I have restarted the system after installing the update. My data in Documents folder has been deleted, all installed software's are not available, my desktop and display settings were reverted to default view....
  10. sound settings revert to defaults

in Windows 10 Support
    sound settings revert to defaults: I've set the audio settings and saved them SEVERAL times. I know how to do it correctly. Windows 10 will not save my settings. They revert to the defaults. When I select any of my saved schemes, every sound is the default. AARRGGHH!! *Mad 29207

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows settings revert after update