Windows 10: Should SSD's be defragmented

Discus and support Should SSD's be defragmented in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Here's a question that hasn't been asked before I'm sure. Should an SSD be defragmented. Seriously, I know there are a multitude of opinions on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Maggidon Win User

Should SSD's be defragmented

Here's a question that hasn't been asked before I'm sure. Should an SSD be defragmented. Seriously, I know there are a multitude of opinions on this but was wondering what the experts on this forum would suggest.

:)

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

W10 Cannot defrag hard drive volumes which are defined as SSDs.

Windows 10 does not defrag an SSD because an SSD should not be defragged.

BulldogXX, Jun 8, 2016
  3. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 8, 2016
  4. Should SSD's be defragmented

Hi:

Short answer: NO, not like the defrag of a spinner.

Longer answer: one can here (scroll down to Option 5).

Cheers,

MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 8, 2016
  5. Maggidon, everything I have ever read says not to defrag an SSD.

Vince Massi, Jun 8, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is nothing to gain by defragging an SSD. Defragging was done to reduce the movement of the read/write head in a hard disk drive. There is no read/write head in an SSD to minimize the movement of. Any "smart" defragging program would not give you the option to defrag an SSD anyway.

NavyLCDR, Jun 8, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    The answer definitely no. As I understand it Windows 10 will run the Trim command and no user interaction is needed.

Winuser, Jun 8, 2016
  8. ARC1020 Win User

The reason there are a multitude of opinions is because Microsoft have never officially released a statement regarding this.

The closest we have is a blog post from Scott Hanselman from 2014, who talked directly to developers on the Windows Storage team and they confirmed Windows does sometimes defrag SSD's and that it's by design. However, I've never seen anything official on a microsoft.com site to back this up.

Link:
    The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman

I have run SSD's for a number of years and have witnessed Windows defrag an SSD with my own eyes after a new Windows install, but I have never experienced any ill effects and now just let Windows take care of HDD/SSD optimisation. You kinda need to trust that OS and storage controller engineers know what they're doing to land that type of job in the first place, especially as SSD's aren't new technology anymore, however something official would be nice to put speculation to rest once and for all.

ARC1020, Jun 8, 2016
  9. Maggidon Win User
    Winuser, please clarify for me. You say the answer is definitely no. But then you say Windows 10 will run the Trim command. What is the Trim Command? Is that something that kicks in only when the SSD is installed?
    Moxiemomma, you say "sroll down to number Where is number 5?

Also, I'm being told not to hibernate an SSD drive. Is this true or false?

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  10. You should only defrag a SSD if you want to destroy it in a matter of months. Other than that.......NO!!! Defragging generates los of write hits, which will gradually slow an SSD down and kill it as they go higher. It's an SSD flash-based device, not a hard drive with spinning platters. The seek time is near instant, unlike an HDD, which needs to be defragged regularly because info gets scattered around on the platters, making access times longer.

AnonVendetta, Jun 8, 2016
  11. derekimo Win User
    This is the trim command,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

The number 5 MoxieMomma is referring to is in the word "here" in her post,

Should SSD's be defragmented [​IMG]

Or here,

Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

derekimo, Jun 8, 2016
  12. Maggidon Win User
    Ok, so if I'm getting the messages correctly, then I should turn off Trim. Also, is "hibernating" an SSD going to hurt it or not?

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  13. derekimo Win User

If you have an SSD you want trim on. Hibernating will not hurt an SSD, what it does is use space on your SSD and some people don't want that.

derekimo, Jun 8, 2016
  14. Maggidon Win User
    Forgive me, but this is confusing. I'm being told overall not to defrag an SSD. But is not TRIM in essence doing that once a month or am I misunderstanding something totally?

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  15. Yes. When hibernating, a computer writes a lot of info to the SSD, speeding up the time when it will wear out. There are plenty of posts from users on different forums stating that this is not true. However, PCWorld says that it is, although PCWorld does state that the wearing out of your SSD will take place over a period of years.

Vince Massi, Jun 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Should SSD's be defragmented - Similar Threads - Should SSD's defragmented

2. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  3. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  4. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  6. Should I defragment on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I defragment on SSD drive: Will defragmenting shorten ssd service life? Should I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-defragment-on-ssd-drive/a42de2e2-2b7c-40af-98ae-a3ba3f0ef83b
  7. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?

Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?: I just noticed this today. I have a Samsung 960 EVO with Win 10 pro installed. I was monitoring something else with the Task Manager when I noticed that the optimize operation was running (Under the Task Manager it is listed as Service Host: Disk Defragmenter: Optimize...
  10. Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?: Should I defrag my SSD and or Harddrive? my windows 10 is on my SSD and I have a few games on my SSD and majority of random games and files are on my HDD. I heard it's bad to defrag a SSD 100910

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should an ssd be defragmented