Windows 10: Should $Windows~BT Folder be deleted after Windows10 is installed?

Discus and support Should $Windows~BT Folder be deleted after Windows10 is installed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My question is simple and in the Title itself. It is, "Should $Windows~BT Folder be deleted after Windows10 is installed?" 14509 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by junglee, Aug 8, 2015.

1. junglee Win User

Should $Windows~BT Folder be deleted after Windows10 is installed?

My question is simple and in the Title itself. It is, "Should $Windows~BT Folder be deleted after Windows10 is installed?"

:)

junglee, Aug 8, 2015

2. I've been running 10 now since the second not first upgrade that was replaced by the second quite well with those two folders remaining. It's not mandatory to see them removed since those are not in the way of anything but take up a small space. You would first need to take ownership over them however in order to see them manually deleted from the drive.

Fortunately there are two guide as well as a quick download to add the option of taking ownership over files and folders you can look over. The first is seen at: Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

That will put the option for taking ownership over anything into the right click menu! The other is optional as that is mainly to see a new entry placed in the system registry for .. How to Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

The second one there Warns note from the start you can't use that option on the Windows OS drive itself or expect a potential for disaster. It would interfer with the normal operation of Windows making "Shaky" and unstable.. As for the BT and WS folders themselves I doubt the PC Refresh option found in the Bootup recovery options as well as found on the usb installation key or Recovery Drive will require those. I would say go right ahead as I believe those are only temp folders used by the 10 installer to install Windows out of since these are where the set up files are copied to either during the initial upgrade or later when tending to a clean install.

With an upgrade install note the PC Refresh option is not found in the Control Panel. You simply find at least for the first 30days which afterwards you won't be able to revert back to the previous version whether 7, 8, or 8.1 that option is found.

Night Hawk, Aug 8, 2015
  3. junglee Win User
    Thank you for your very prompt reply.

junglee, Aug 8, 2015
  4. RWOne Win User

You can remove them thru disc cleanup - by choosing the advanced system options and selecting to remove previous windows installations and temps, etc. No worrying about changing ownership in that method.

If removed though, you can't rollback.

RWOne, Aug 8, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes,,, you can. I deleted it and had zero issues.
    HTH

BunnyJ, Aug 8, 2015
  6. They are non essential and the roll back is seen as the Backup/Resotation option in the Control Panel to run that if you decide not to keep 10 on. Here not being sure but still planning to see 10 go onto the second OS not reconnected as the Disk #0 plus the boot entry for 7 added in separately while the other was unplugged making the 10 drive bootable as a stand alone as well as to see how things worked out.

Apparently the versions newer then 7 don't play well when you mix Sata II drives which have been the OS drives with Sata 3 drives in an array used for storage? Not having reviewed the upgrade or clean install guides which I recommend to anyone who still doesn't have 10 on yet to go through I had left those other drives plugged in and guess what?

Each upgrade attempt not only failed but two folders as well as boot files were found on those drives! The boot files on one while the other saw the BT and WS folders which still needed to see permissions elevated to clear those off! I had to nuke them off of the 7 drive when the upgrade attempt had failed there as well and wouldn't expect to have problems since that has 7 running on it while a week has passed already and no issues related to not having the two folders are expected to be seen since I plan to nuke the present 10 upgrade for a clean install anyways!

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should $Windows~BT Folder be deleted after Windows10 is installed? - Similar Threads - Should $Windows~BT Folder

2. $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    $Windows.~BT folder: After upgrading mother board windows changed the file system on all drives not the boot drive to $Windows.~BT folder. How do i get my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windowsbt-folder/4a350342-ad66-4f02-af41-4090c3dfb7fa
  3. Surface, windows10, deleted folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface, windows10, deleted folder: I have windows 10 installed by MSFT from the network. I noticed that KBs are installed and in some cases my system rebooted. On one occasion, after a reboot, one of my folders was gone and I found it in the recycle bin. Has anyone else seen this happen? TIA...
  4. how to delete Windows BT folder ??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to delete Windows BT folder ??: I am trying to do a fresh windows install via Refresh Tool and cant because it says couldn't start please try after pc reboot.After quite a bit of google-ing i found out that i need to delete the Windows BT Folder, but i can't even in safe mode because it says that i need...
  5. Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT

Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT: I read an article that this file is actually a older version of window 10 than I'm currently using. My first question is why doesn't my C: drive show the size of any folder? Can we see theirs size some how? There is also a file folder called PerfLogs on my C: drive. I...
  6. What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?

What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?: In my C: drive, there is a folder that's called $WINDOWS.`BT. I don't really know what it is. From the looks of it, it's doesn't have anything important. Is it safe to delete it? Or is it important?...
  7. Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?: This folder and $Windows.~WS are both part of the Windows 10 upgrade from what I've been told. Now that I've finished the installation, these two folders are still on my C: drive, eating up 11.5GB of space between them. Is it safe to get rid of them after the installation is...
  8. Ok to delete $Windows10.~BT folder after install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ok to delete $Windows10.~BT folder after install?: Is it ok to delete $Windows10.~BT folder after install? Mine had 6.29Gb. *Zip 11928
  9. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete $Windows.~BT folder: I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to me that it is a $Windows.~BT folder that is preventing me from doing so. From what I have read, Windows should have done so...
  10. Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade: Hi, I have downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO using Media Creation Tool and I wanted to know if it is safe to delete the Windows~BT folder before doing the upgrade. Will it cause some mess with the upgrade process if I delete it or just to leave it intact? Thanks,...