Windows 10: Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 How to Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10

How to: Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10

How to Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10

The Win+X Quick Link menu is a pop-up menu from the Start button that includes shortcuts of common management, configuration, and other power user Windows tools.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14971, Windows PowerShell will show in the Win+X by default now instead of Command Prompt.

This tutorial will show you how to have either Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell show on the Win+X menu for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Show Command Prompt or PowerShell on WIN+X menu in Settings
    • Option Two: Show Command Prompt or PowerShell on WIN+X menu using a BAT File

EXAMPLE: Win+X menu with Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell

Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Show Command Prompt or PowerShell on WIN+X menu in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, and turn On (default) or Off Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the start button or press Windows key+X on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Show Command Prompt or PowerShell on WIN+X menu using a BAT File
    *note The downloadable .bat files below will change the DOWRD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

DontUsePowerShellOnWinX DWORD

0 = Show "Windows PowerShell"
    1= Show "Command Prompt"

1. Do step 2 (Command Prompt) or step 3 (PowerShell) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Command Prompt on WIN+X menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Command_Prompt_on_Win+X_menu.bat

Download

3. To Show Windows PowerShell on WIN+X menu
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Windows_PowerShell_on_Win+X_menu.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Run the .bat file.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly opens and closes as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 16, 2016

2. Windows 10

Right click the Start icon and right click Command Prompt (Admin)
    on the menu list.

You may need to add Command Prompt to the Win+X menu.

Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10:

Gerry C J Cornell, Nov 16, 2016
  3. Shawn Brink, Nov 16, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

I am trying to replace PowerShell in WIN + X menu with PowerShell ISE, I prefer ISE over Command Prompt or normal PowerShell. I thought it would be easy simply by editing shortcuts in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3:

This does not work; although I've changed the target to ISE, normal PowerShell will still be opened.

Ideas?

5. oneLess Win User
    yes

is not a good ideea to modify an existing entry in Win-X menu

because
    a. are SYSTEM links and always will point to the same predetermined program by OS
    b. if you change their names you will see the same SYSTEM name in Win-X menu entries

best ideea (at least here) is to make your own new entries (home made entries)
    same thing for win 8.x Win-X menu

if you will create your own entry for Win-X menu
    you will can rename the entry
    and
    even run it as elevated process.

there are solutions on the web
    one of them is on *REMOVED*
    is a portable program ,
    but I don't use it because (at least here)
    1. don't works with already existent .lnk files (the entry is not showed in menu)
    but works here with .exe files like your
    2. cant run it as elevated process (no UAC intervention)

I use this small program ( ~ 7..8KB ) manually for solve the above problem .1
    is a third party tool

and and and
    I do it SILENT (with a homemade autoit script)

BTW you can create Group4 as a new folder , like in attached picture

c

oneLess, Dec 15, 2016
  6. Is it possible to show both Powershell and CMD in this menu?

Suncatcher, Feb 11, 2017
  7. I have successfully changed the start menu entry with option #1.

But how I can get back the "Command Prompt here" by clicking SHIFT + Right-Mouse-Click on a directory in the windows 10 file explorer?
    (It seems, this context menu entry is also changed to PowerShell)

WTenNewbie, May 17, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 17, 2017
  9. Thanks a lot for the incredible fast answer, @Brink.
    Maybe you can link the above 2 tutorials to your options#1 and #2?

Do I have to change the text for the context menu manually in the .reg-file to the german
    "Eingabeaufforderung hier öffnen (Administrator) "
    for my german windows?
    Or does Win10 "translate" it automatically?

WTenNewbie, May 17, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome.

It should automatically translate for you with this these.

Brink, May 17, 2017
  11. Great! It works, is automagically translated and even shows a little leading "C:" Command Prompt-Icon. Nice!
    Thank you.

WTenNewbie, May 17, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It uses special alien technology. *Wink

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Show Command Prompt

2. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  3. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  4. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. No command prompt and no PowerShell on my pc windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    No command prompt and no PowerShell on my pc windows 10: Hello, No command prompt and no PowerShell on my pc windows 10 ? Thank you Savvy108 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-command-prompt-and-no-powershell-on-my-pc/ec4f5172-b4f7-4970-ba33-aafadfb7a5cb
  6. command prompt is x:\windows\system32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    command prompt is x:\windows\system32: My computer crashed and I have tried everything I can think of you restart, but the command prompt starts with x: instead of c: I've tried the fixes suggested and listed below: In Command Prompt, type DISKPART, press Enter. When it loads type LIST DISK. Choose the...
  7. X command prompt?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    X command prompt?: Hi all ive been having issues with a laptop- have had help before but I still not booting up. It reads the windows 10 media but gets to 50% then says error. So so I downloaded recovery media and that usb not even being recognised in boot set up. So so I went...
  8. Difference between Command Prompt and Windows PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    Difference between Command Prompt and Windows PowerShell: [ATTACH] Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 all come shipped with Windows PowerShell out of the box. Along with that, it came the older Command Prompt which was a successor to MS-DOS Command line. But often the presence of two command [...] This post Difference between...
  9. Lost Command Prompt in Win-X Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Command Prompt in Win-X Menu: Somehow I have deleted the command prompt and powershell entries in the Win-X menu (the right-click on the Win button menu). Anybody know how to restore either to that menu? I have tried installing and using the Win-X editor from winaero.com but without sucess. While there...
  10. Change PowerShell To Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PowerShell To Command Prompt: How do you change from PowerShell to Command Prompt using file explorer ? 104838