Windows 10: Show Cortana Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer

Discus and support Show Cortana Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer How to Show Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Jerry06, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Jerry06 Win User

Show Cortana Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer

How to: Show Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer

How to Show Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer

Show Cortana Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial is no longer valid starting with Windows 10 version 1903.

When searching the web from Search on the taskbar, the Bing search results can display in Microsoft Edge (default) or Internet Explorer.

If you use a screen reader, you may want to make the web search results open in Internet Explorer instead of Microsoft Edge.

Cortana and Search has been separated starting with Windows 10 version 1903.

This tutorial will show you how to set to show web search results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

Note Starting with Windows 10 build 16251, you can now view the results that Cortana has for you without launching the web browser. For some questions, the Cortana pane will expand automatically, quickly showing you exactly what you need to know. It works with movies, celebrities, stock prices, weather, flight status – you name it! If Cortana doesn’t have a quick answer for your query, the pane won’t automatically expand. No worries! Just click the arrow next to the relevant web suggestion (or press the right arrow key) to see what the web has for you.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Optimize Taskbar Web Search Results for Screen Readers in Microsoft Edge
    • Option Two: To Optimize Taskbar Web Search Results for Screen Readers using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Search the web from Search and web search results

OPTION ONE [/i] To Optimize Taskbar Web Search Results for Screen Readers in Microsoft Edge
    1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the More actions button on the toolbar, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the View advanced settings button towards the bottom of Settings. (see screenshot below)

4. Turn On (Internet Explorer) or Off (Microsoft Edge - default) Optimize taskbar web search results for screen readers for what you want. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Microsoft Edge if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Optimize Taskbar Web Search Results for Screen Readers using a REG file

Note The .reg files below make changes to the DWORD value in the registry key below.
    Code:
    OptimizeWindowsSearchResultsForScreenReaders DWORD

0 = Off - Show web search results in Microsoft Edge
    1 = On - Show web search results in Internet Explorer

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Web Search Results in Internet Explorer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_OptimizeWindowsSearchResultsForScreenReaders.reg

Download

3. To Show Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_OptimizeWindowsSearchResultsForScreenReaders.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Jerry06, Oct 6, 2016
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 6, 2016
  3. searching with Cortana

Whenever I search using Cortana the search results are displayed in Internet Explorer not on Microsoft Edge what's the reason and how to change this to open on Microsoft Edge?

1a584b95-c959-4ade-915d-21e96ceff7a7, Oct 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sorry about that @Jerry06. They should be fixed now. *Smile

Brink, Oct 6, 2016
  5. Jerry06 Win User
    Thanks..

BTW I love the Tenforums Website

Jerry06, Oct 6, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Show Cortana Web Search Results in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer - Similar Threads - Show Cortana Web

2. Web search results

in Cortana
    Web search results: Hi, my name is Sumiyuru I am using a windows 10 home operating system hp I have a problem in the search box, as experienced in my other 2 computers when I search something in the web it immediately gives me web results but in my hp computer in the search box when I search...
  3. Windows Search Not Showing Web Results

in Cortana
    Windows Search Not Showing Web Results: I have been using a Windows 10 Professional from the past 4 months and from yesterday the Windows Search was not showing any Web Results. I am from India and according to this article:...
  4. Cortana No Longer Searches Internet Web

in Cortana
    Cortana No Longer Searches Internet Web: I have good internet connection with all apps i.e. Edge, Firefox, Outlook 2016, ... except Cortana. Cortana only searches my PC, not the internet. I'm using Edge 84.0.522.40. Four days ago Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems was updated KB4560960 & KB4497165...
  5. Cortana stopped showing web results

in Cortana
    Cortana stopped showing web results: Cortana search from the Taskbar recently stopped including web results. I've tried the following: 1. Rebooting my computer 2. Rebuilding my search index 3. Stopping/restarting the Windows search service 4. The solution posted by Vijay_Verma that involved running the...
  6. cortana shows web search result very well but cannot understand voice search.

in Cortana
    cortana shows web search result very well but cannot understand voice search.: I have tried setting up my voice with "hey cortana" and it worked well. typed search results are fine. the problem is with voice search. please provide some tips to solve it....
  7. Internet is not working in Microsoft edge, internet explorer, Microsoft store and cortana....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet is not working in Microsoft edge, internet explorer, Microsoft store and cortana....: I tried reset internet properties and Inplace Microsoft upgrade but nothing helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-is-not-working-in-microsoft-edge-internet/0297ef94-a40f-4378-baf1-cba90c6c75f5
  8. Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results

in Browsers and Email
    Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results: Ever since Build 14385 and now in 14388, Cortana has been using and opening IE as the browser for showing search web results instead of Edge. Edge is set as the default browser and has been for a long time. Have checked all the settings in both Edge and IE, as well as in...
  9. Microsoft Edge showing Youtube search results weirdly

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge showing Youtube search results weirdly: The Edge browser is behaving oddly nowadays for me especially on youtube, I dont't know what's causing it. Whenever I search on youtube using edge it shows the search results on the right side with texts and other info partially cut-off. The attached screenshots should...
  10. Search only shows Web Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only shows Web Results: When I search for something in the search bar, now I am only getting web results. I am not getting computer related items. For example, if I search for printers, I only get web results about printers. I am not getting anything about the printers I have installed on this...