Windows 10: Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10

Discus and support Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10 How to Show Drive Letters Before or After Drive Name in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Bumpkin, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Bumpkin Win User

Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10

How to: Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10

How to Show Drive Letters Before or After Drive Name in Windows 10

Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition in the computer.

A drive name or drive label, is a unique name of up to 32 (NTFS) or 11 (FAT) characters assigned to a drive, disc, or other media connected to the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to hide or show drive letters before or after drive labels in File Explorer for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide or Show Drive Letters Before or After Name for Current User
    • Option Two: To Hide or Show Drive Letters Before or After Name for All Users

EXAMPLE: Drive Letters in This PC

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide or Show Drive Letters Before or After Name for Current User

Note Option Two below will override this option.

The .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

ShowDriveLettersFirst DWORD

0 = (Default) Show all drive letters after drive label
    1 = Show only network drive letters before drive label
    2 = Hide all drive letters
    4 = Show all drive letters before drive label

1. Do step 2, step 3, step 4, or step 5 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show All Drive Letters After Drive Label
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Show_all_drive_letters_after_name.bat

Download

3. To Show Only Network Drive Letters After Drive Label
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Show_only_network_drive_letters_before_name.bat

Download

4. To Hide All Drive Letters

Hide_all_drive_letters.bat

Download

5. To Show All Drive Letters Before Drive Label

Show_all_drive_letters_before_name.bat

Download

6. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

7. Unblock the .bat file.

8. Run the .bat file.

9. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

10. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Hide or Show Drive Letters Before or After Name for All Users

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This option will override Option One above.

The .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

ShowDriveLettersFirst DWORD

(delete) = (Default) Allow users to be able to use Option One above.
    0 = Show all drive letters after drive labels
    1 = Show only network drive letters before drive labels
    2 = Hide all drive letters
    4 = Show all drive letters before drive labels

1. Do step 2, step 3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show All Drive Letters After Drive Label
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 7 below.

Show_all_drive_letters_after_name_for_all_users.bat

Download

3. To Show Only Network Drive Letters After Drive Label
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 7 below.

Show_only_network_drive_letters_before_name_for_all_users.bat

Download

4. To Hide All Drive Letters

Hide_all_drive_letters_for_all_users.bat

Download

5. To Show All Drive Letters Before Drive Label

Show_all_drive_letters_before_name_for_all_users.bat

Download

6. To Undo OPTION TWO and Allow Users to be able to do OPTION ONE
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

Undo_all_users.bat

Download

7. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

8. Unblock the .bat file.

9. Right click or press and hold on the .bat file, and click/tap on Run as administrator.

10. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

11. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Bumpkin, Jan 12, 2018
  2. Philinaz Win User

Installed windows 10 and cannot access partition

I just installed windows 10 as upgrade to 7. My hard drive had another partition which had been encrypted with Truecrypt and on which partition I kept all my data. After installing 10, I was still able to access that partition using Truecrypt in the usual
    way for the first day.

That night I powered off the PC and when I turned it on the next day TC came up with access error. I went into Explorer but the partition was not showing but when I opened Disk Management it showed up but without a drive letter. I do not remember what drive
    letter I gave to that partition before only the virtual drive letter after TC had opened it. I then successfully reassigned a drive letter to that partition and then tried accessing it with TC using the assigned letter but that did not work. It possibly
    was not the original drive letter, but that should not have made any difference as I changed the "device" in TC to the newly assigned letter.

I also tried a system restore but it was unable to restore to a previous time, but I don't think it would have helped if it had. The partition is showing in Drive Management as unformatted and the size and free space being the same. I think it would have
    showed that way before as that is hot TC operates. If the new Windows had removed the drive letter, one would think that it would also have reformatted at the same time??

Very unhappy with Windows 10 apart from that as I had set it to download 10 upgrade and left it on all night and was shocked to find that it actually installed itself. Also some of my photos which were in a folder named Photos on my encrypted partition
    had been copied or transferred to the C drive and must have been done so when I had left that drive unencrypted. Point is, I did not give permission! Who knows what other damage Windows has done, as I did not have time to check for more surprises. In the
    meantime , how can I get TC to recognize that partition?

Philinaz, Jan 12, 2018
  3. Evilbob0 Win User
    Rename Optical Drives (without using labels)

1. The optical drive is connected via SATA3 to the motherboard.

2. No error message is given. As described in the initial question, the label changes the name after the drive letter, not the name before the drive letter.

Troubleshooting> There are no troubles with troubleshooting. The drive works just fine.

The computer is up to date as of 2/13/16, 9:52AM Central US Time.

Again, as belabored in the initial question; how does one change the label of the optical drive before the letter (encircled in blue in the picture).

EDIT: Is this just not possible? I haven't heard any response in awhile now.

Evilbob0, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  5. I see the difference but I don't understand the reason for doing such a thing. Please explain.

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 12, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Jack, *Smile

It's just one of those personal preference type settings.

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  7. Thank you Shawn.

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Show Drive Letters

2. file explorer letter before drive letter in search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer letter before drive letter in search: when i did a search in file manager it showed the file as "rc:******" why is there a letter before the drive and what does it mean f and r are the letters that are shown before the drive...
  3. How to Show Drive Letters first before Drive Names in Windows 10 Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    How to Show Drive Letters first before Drive Names in Windows 10 Explorer: Drive names or volume labels appear before the drive letters in Windows OS by default. But, if you want, you can change this default behavior and show drive letters first before drive names in Windows 10. Whenever you will open File Explorer, you will see that letters (C, D,...
  4. System Drive Keeps showing up after removing drive letter in CMD

System Drive Keeps showing up after removing drive letter in CMD: Hey everyone, Interesting event here. So I recently performed a Repair Upgrade in Win 10 20H2 x64. Prior to that, I had added the R drive as my system drive as I was looking to locate my recovery file from it, Winre.wim. After finding it, and subsequently removing the...
  5. I see network drive letters but not names

I see network drive letters but not names: Hello, I am accessing a bunch of USB drives on my Win 10 desktop from a Surface over home ethernet. The connections work fine, but I only see the drive letters, as single capital letters, and not their names on the Surface. On the desktop, I see both in the default order...
  6. DVD drive letter not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive letter not showing: DVD drive letter not showing in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-letter-not-showing/46115d53-baad-49ba-904f-b73fb669a6f7
  7. after enjecting my USB, windows shows drive icons with random drive letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    after enjecting my USB, windows shows drive icons with random drive letters: after enjecting my USB, windows shows drive icons with random drive letters, I've tried restarting but didn't fix it. Screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/U3E6P9l.png https://i.imgur.com/e3dhy4E.png anyone knows how to remove them??...
  8. Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10: Hello, After I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 1909, my C drive became F, and the hidden recovery partition became the new C. As a result the PC cannot boot goes to BSOD with stop code 7b, so I was forced to restore the system image that I created before the upgrade....
  9. How to put drive letters before drive label?

How to put drive letters before drive label?: I have Windows 10 Home. I want my drive letters to appear before the name of the drive. I tried: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer ShowDriveLettersFirst DWORD 4 = Show all drive letters before drive label I rebooted. But it didn't...
  10. Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 [img] Information A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition in the computer. This...