Windows 10: 'Show Hidden Files' has damaged windows 10

Discus and support 'Show Hidden Files' has damaged windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Last night due to email problems I needed to access some hidden files in appdata so I ticked 'show hidden files' , and left it running over night... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trans6, Mar 7, 2017.

1. trans6 Win User

'Show Hidden Files' has damaged windows 10

Hi
    Last night due to email problems I needed to access some hidden files in appdata so I ticked 'show hidden files' , and left it running over night as it looked like it was going to take some time. This morning the files are still hidden, and on a restart my task bar has completely frozen, programs are crashing when I open them (photoshop, Firefox ) and generally Windows10 is unusable. I've tried to restore windows to an earlier point but when I finish the process it says it has failed, and no files have been changed.
    Any idea on how trying to 'show hidden files' could have caused so much damage? And how can I get it all working again?
    Frances

:)

trans6, Mar 7, 2017
  2. finding MS Outlook .pst files on backup

Google "knows" when you ask it like so:

Show hidden files in Windows 10

Frederik Long, Mar 7, 2017
  3. CountMike New Member

No idea unless something has changed/deleted some file(s). Those are hidden only from user's sight but system and programs can still find them. Probably just a coincidence. Most of them are also protected so you couldn't have changed/deleted them even if you wanted to.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2017
  4. trans6 Win User
    ok well that's seems to be what triggered it, my main concern is just to get things working again, I've read that virus checkers can stop Windows restore from working but I cannot uninstall my anti-virus because I cannot open control panel.

trans6, Mar 7, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    When many things are happening at same time, cause/effect can easily be confused. Anyway, did you try Safe mode ?

CountMike, Mar 7, 2017
  6. trans6 Win User
    Yes it is the same in safe mode, I'm just running a SFC scan from safe mode now.

trans6, Mar 7, 2017
  7. Bree New Member

The system restore failure is not due to anything you have done, there is a known problem...

Windows 10 update KB 3213986 triggers System Restore error 0x80070091 | InfoWorld

...and a lengthy thread on possible ways round it here...
    System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091
    ...though as the fixes mostly involve taking ownership of system folders and deleting/renaming them I'm leaving mine 'broken' and awaiting a fix from MS. In the mean time, restoring from a system image is the only practical option.

It is an unfortunate coincidence that this system restore problem surfaced at the time you needed system restore the most, but it wasn't anything you did - just bad timing.

Bree, Mar 7, 2017
  8. trans6 Win User
    Thanks for your help - yes I ran system restore and came across across that error and haven't had any luck restoring it. It looked like I moved or somehow damaged the files in my appdata folder last night when I tried to unhide that folder. When using another user profile everything works fine. In my own profile most of the programs show error files and the task bar is frozen. I'm at a loss of what to do, I've spent all day on this when I have deadlines approaching Do you think a repair install of Windows 10 would work?

trans6, Mar 7, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    A repair install of Windows 10 will likely NOT work because it does not restore user files, only the Windows 10 system files. You need to move to a different user account and if the new/different user account is created as an administrator you can copy your data files from your old user account to your new one.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2017
  11. trans6 Win User
    Thanks for your help I was about to do a repair install, but I will hold off. I have a lot of files under my old user name so this will be a big job, and I need to figure out the whole administrator thing because at the moment I can't even open the folders in my old account when I'm in the new one. Thanks again for your help.

trans6, Mar 7, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member

Only a current administrator can grant administrator rights to a user account so if you only have a standard user account that you can log into, you will have to enable the built-in administrator account temporarily in order to grant the standard user account administrator rights.

Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

You can see which users are part of the administrators group by running from a command prompt:

net localgroup administrators

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 'Show Hidden Files' has damaged windows 10 - Similar Threads - 'Show Hidden Files'

2. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A hidden hidden file?: Win 10 is telling me a folder exists that it doesn't show no matter what I click.I've been trying to install Corel Photo house 4.0 on Win10 but it keeps telling me that there's a .dll file missing that it can't load. I've tried recreating the folder in Win10 that it's looking...
  3. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A hidden hidden file?: Win 10 is telling me a folder exists that it doesn't show no matter what I click.I've been trying to install Corel Photo house 4.0 on Win10 but it keeps telling me that there's a .dll file missing that it can't load. I've tried recreating the folder in Win10 that it's looking...
  4. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Damaged Picture Files In Windows 10

Damaged Picture Files In Windows 10: Windows 10 1909 latest updates 2/11/2020 When I look at my picture files on my hard drive with File Explorer they all have an 'X' at the bottom left of their thumbnail. The thumbnails are showing correctly. When I try to open the picture files with IrfanView64 I get the...
  6. Windows 10 damaged / damaged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 damaged / damaged: Sometimes I have received (or what it seems) a Windows notification to say that it is damaged and I need to carry out instructions to prevent my files from being deleted. There is a countdown timer and a sharp beep that is really annoying. Is there anything I can run from...
  7. Damaged file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Damaged file: How do I repair a damaged Adobe PDF file? MB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/damaged-file/a3799082-2d08-4d96-81dd-0238b6868fcf
  8. Files are damaged

Files are damaged: I have some very important files for my work in my USB but when I open them it says that the files are damaged. Please, I need these files urgently as I can do to have them back. Please help me...
  9. Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10: How to: Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 How to Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information Hidden files, folders, and drives do not show by default in Windows. Windows protected system files (ex: desktop.ini files) are...
  10. Show Hidden Files And Folders Error

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Hidden Files And Folders Error: Hi, I haven't updated anything today, but now when I go into Control Panel>Appearance And Personalisation>Show Hidden Files And Folders, I just get a beep and then get taken back to the desktop, with nothing happening. Other options in Control Panel seem to be fine. Has...