Windows 10: Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10

Discus and support Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10 How to Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10 Searching from your taskbar makes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10

How to: Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10

How to Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10

Searching from your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14946, you can have the search box show at the top or bottom.

This tutorial will how you how to show the search box at the top or bottom for your account in Windows 10.

Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note The downloadable .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\Flighting\0\SearchBoxOnTop

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\Flighting\1\SearchBoxOnTop

Value DWORD

0 = Bottom
    1 = Top

EXAMPLE: Search box on bottom or top

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (top) or step 3 (bottom) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Search Box on Top
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

SearchBoxOnTop.bat

Download

3. To Show Search Box on Bottom
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

SearchBoxOnBottom.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Run the .bat file.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 5, 2016

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 26, 2019
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10

Search box

Hi,

To start troubleshooting your issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar.
    • Select Cortana.
    • Click Show search box.
    Let us know how it goes.

Eugene deV, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Arul_D Win User
    Search Box Reduced to Magnifying Glass Icon

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings to show the search icon.

• Right click on the search bar

• Click on search

• Check show search icon
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Arul_D, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Arjay Dom Win User
    Search box on taskbar missing.

Hi John,

This issue with search box may happen if it's hidden from the taskbar.

To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar and select Search.
    • Select Show search box.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10

1. Show Search Box on Top or Bottom in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Show Search Box

2. Search Box on bottom left in Win10 is BlanK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Box on bottom left in Win10 is BlanK: Hi MS, I have a search rectangle at left bottom of screen. THIS is not blank. It has a spyglass and the words, "Type here to search". However when I click on it to search for a file in my file mgr or the internet, it produces a blank, dark gray, box approx. 7" x 8.5" is size....
  3. Search Box on bottom left in Win10 is BlanK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Box on bottom left in Win10 is BlanK: Hi MS, I have a search rectangle at left bottom of screen. THIS is not blank. It has a spyglass and the words, "Type here to search". However when I click on it to search for a file in my file mgr or the internet, it produces a blank, dark gray, box approx. 7" x 8.5" is size....
  4. Search Box on bottom left in Win10 is BlanK

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Removeal of the top search bar/box .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removeal of the top search bar/box .: Still cannot remove the top search bar/box . Instructions given do not work, I have a Dell computer. Can will someone please help and me remove this ungainly top search bar*moved from Community Participation Center...
  6. Search box at bottom left

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search box at bottom left: The search box on bottom left of my desktop is acting up After typing in a couple of letters, it stops working How do I fix problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-at-bottom-left/71ca3a52-0a4d-48ed-b71d-8ceea499a154
  7. Search Box not showing

in Cortana
    Search Box not showing: Hi, I am on W10 1903 build 18980.1. Since a while, should I click on the taskbar's search icon or WIN+S, nothing happens (or sometimes I get a big black square). This is kind of a pain, as i'm not fond of icons y navigate mostly through searches. I already tried...
  8. Search box at left bottom

in Cortana
    Search box at left bottom: Win 10, search box at left bottom doesn't search. It comes up with screen saying ms-appx-web & that I need this new app?? worked ok before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-at-left-bottom/841ee37b-396a-410f-b391-6a1fb7ab0623"
  9. The search box at the bottom of the pag (task box) has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The search box at the bottom of the pag (task box) has disappeared.: Is this a function of the latest update? What are we supposed to use instead? I went to Fire Explorer to look for my printer, using the initials HP, and was presented with a long list that had nothing to do with what I wanted. I used to be able to go to that search box and...
  10. Show Notifications at Top or Bottom in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Notifications at Top or Bottom in Windows 10: How to: Show Notifications at Top or Bottom in Windows 10 How to Have Toast Notifications Show at Top or Bottom of Display in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 9926 released on January 23rd 2015. [img]...