Windows 10: showing titles and icons, NOT images, for alt-tab and taskbar hovering

Discus and support showing titles and icons, NOT images, for alt-tab and taskbar hovering in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm a new windows 10 latptop owner, previously used windows 7 with the classic theme. In both win 7 aero and in win 10, I dislike how the use of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mike1127, Mar 8, 2016.

1. mike1127 Win User

showing titles and icons, NOT images, for alt-tab and taskbar hovering

I'm a new windows 10 latptop owner, previously used windows 7 with the classic theme. In both win 7 aero and in win 10, I dislike how the use of alt-tab and hovering over taskbar icons shows a series of miniatures images of windows. This is a terrible user interface --- all my windows are dense with text and could be scrolled to any point, so they can't be identified from the image. What I need to see are window titles. Or in the case of alt-tab, icons. Win 10 does show the titles but not stacked vertically, making them difficult to scan by eye. Same with icons---they are tiny little things in a sea of useless image.

So can I change the win 10 theme to show a vertical stack of window titles when hovering over the taskbar, and to show icons when doing alt-tab switching?

Mike

:)

mike1127, Mar 8, 2016

2. "All settings" now showing up

Hi,

The icon appears on the taskbar, hovering over it will show the "mini" window, alt+tab will show the settings window but I can't access it.

Windows 10 anniversary

Vidar Petursson, Mar 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 taskbar app icon not showing preview (Taskbar Hover preview)

Hi,I found that when I hovered my mouse pointer over the app icons on taskbar. Windows didn't show a preview (a small window above the app icon) of the apps like it used to. I am wondering how to fix this?

thanks

Original title: Windows 10 taskbar app icon not showing preview

daiyueweng, Mar 8, 2016
  4. vkaryl Win User

Heh. I asked that ages back, never got an answer. I'll track this thread in case you get more action than I did!

vkaryl, Mar 8, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 13, 2016
  6. vkaryl Win User
    I did search months back, but apparently wasn't using the correct keywords. I'm personally not fond of registry editing for something that should be a customization option in settings, but thanks for finding it.

Tried that just now, and it's not working set at 0, still getting the image for the first window. However, getting the list for more than one window is still a huge improvement. I quite frequently have several notepad2 windows open at a time, several Computer windows open, etc. and having little images pop for tooltips whenever the mouse skates over them was so annoying....

vkaryl, Mar 13, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. showing titles and icons, NOT images, for alt-tab and taskbar hovering - Similar Threads - showing titles icons

2. Alt-Tab and clicking on icon in taskbar not working as expected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt-Tab and clicking on icon in taskbar not working as expected: Hi,For some reason, I'm seeing weird behavior with the taskbar and the Alt-Tab keyboard shortcut. I'm not sure what is causing it. Here are the symptoms:If I have more than one window open for an application, I cannot use the taskbar to go to one of the windows. I used to be...
  3. Alt-Tab and clicking on icon in taskbar not working as expected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt-Tab and clicking on icon in taskbar not working as expected: Hi,For some reason, I'm seeing weird behavior with the taskbar and the Alt-Tab keyboard shortcut. I'm not sure what is causing it. Here are the symptoms:If I have more than one window open for an application, I cannot use the taskbar to go to one of the windows. I used to be...
  4. Alt-Tab and clicking on icon in taskbar not working as expected

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Taskbar showing up on Alt+Tab screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar showing up on Alt+Tab screen: My taskbar started showing up on the alt+tab screen yesterday. It shows like a sort of app but when you switch to it, nothing happens. I tried to click X in hope of closing it, but it instead shows the Shut Down Windows dialogue. I plugged in a flash drive from my friend...
  6. ALT+TAB making hidden taskbar not showing up when hovering mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ALT+TAB making hidden taskbar not showing up when hovering mouse: This bug has happens as long as I can remember (and still happening in 1909), and I decided to post about it today. If you set the taskbar to auto-hide in desktop mode, and when pressing ALT+TAB to switch between windows, taskbar won't show when you hover mouse over the...
  7. Taskbar icons gone + alt tab doesn't work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar icons gone + alt tab doesn't work.: Hello Everyone, I've recently encountered a situation in which none of my taskbar icons are displayed, I can't click the windows icon or task view in the bottom left and Alt + Tab doesn't work either. Win + Tab used to work but now it doesn't. I attempted following this...
  8. How to disable the title previews when hovering over an icon on the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable the title previews when hovering over an icon on the taskbar?: Disable these little text previews when your mouse hovers over an icon on the taskbar? For some reason even when I cursor is somewhere else these annoying little shits are still taking up a precious 1% of my screen. submitted by /u/TheZergBerg [link] [comments]...
  9. Taskbar not showing while alt-tabbed with multiple monitors

Taskbar not showing while alt-tabbed with multiple monitors: I'm running two monitors, monitor A is my main monitor, and monitor B is my secondary i use for videos and everything while gaming. When I have a game on monitor A and I alt+tab out to a window on my second monitor, the taskbar doesn't show up. It's the same when i click off...
  10. Showing Icons on Alt+Tab and Selection with Mouse

Showing Icons on Alt+Tab and Selection with Mouse: Hello, I have tried the registry tweak to turn back to classic ALT+TAB, showing icons (not windows) and it works great, but without mouse selection. On my previous Win 8.1 it was possible to click and select with mouse on any icon. Is there any way to activate on Win 10...