Windows 10: Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties.

Discus and support Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is an issue I just discovered. I have a folder on my desktop that is 10.8GB. It has many files and folders inside of it. When I hover my mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 22878, Aug 13, 2018.

1. 22878 Win User

Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties.

This is an issue I just discovered. I have a folder on my desktop that is 10.8GB. It has many files and folders inside of it. When I hover my mouse over it, it shows the correct total size of the contents of the folder i.e. 10.8GB. However, if I right click the folder and go to properties, it only shows 5.67GB. It's doing this because it's not counting all the files and folders. In properties it only lists about half of the total files and folders for some reason.

I have dragged this folder onto an external drive and then right clicked it from there and it shows the correct size from that drive, but not the drive my OS is on.

I really want to like Windows 10, but only a few days into using it and I am having lots of issues, and I haven't even done anything on the computer yet. I'm still just trying to get all my programs and files moved over.

:)

22878, Aug 13, 2018

2. Properties shows wrong size for files and folder

I went through both methods (thanks alot for the help BTW) and retested the same pictures drive again, with both methods again

Method 1 - right clicking on the folder...selecting properties, and reading the size on disk it reports

Method 2 - opening up the folder, clicking inside the search bar and selecting *.* which shows every file and folder inside + all subdirectories. Confirmed theres no "grouping" its all just listed together. Select all files (control A) then right click and
    select properties...and reading the size on disk it reports

Same results Im afraid. I retested another folder on a physically different hard drive using the same test - and also came up with ridiculously contradicting claims on how much data is in there

Interesting hey Test 1 = 142Gig VS 386Gig

Test 2 on a seperate HDD (physically seperate drive) 669Gig VS 184Gig

Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties. f6bb6b91-a6f3-46cc-ac99-fdaa821acb46.jpg

Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties. 31ce51bd-4b68-450b-a5d2-ce7126e623a6.jpg

sdfgaesftgeawrtawe, Aug 13, 2018
  3. gypsycomp Win User
    showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Properties are shown differently for folders and roots.
    Root properties only shows used and free space.
    Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders.
    Questions:
    1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive?
    2 - Better, how could I list the number of files within each folder?
    3 - Even better, how could I list the total of subfolders and files at each level within the tree branches?

gypsycomp, Aug 13, 2018
  4. Edwin Win User

Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?

For some reason, this only applies to Taskbar jump lists, but you need to 'Pin' the item to the list first.
    Everywhere else it works as expected.

Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties. [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties. - Similar Threads - Shows different file

2. Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties": I'm downloading about 2,500 pictures and videos from my Onedrive to my HDD. When I looked in Windows Explorer/Properties, the size of all the files came to about 75GB ignoring size on disk as they are all in the cloud. When I started to copy them, the "Items Remaining" info...
  3. Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties": I'm downloading about 2,500 pictures and videos from my Onedrive to my HDD. When I looked in Windows Explorer/Properties, the size of all the files came to about 75GB ignoring size on disk as they are all in the cloud. When I started to copy them, the "Items Remaining" info...
  4. Solution to Monitors showing different sizes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Solution to Monitors showing different sizes: So this is actually a reply to jbootzin's question from 2018, which you can read here.The actual solution to this instead of the moderator's response is that you have to have the monitor with the highest DPI or resolution set to the maximum comfortable resolution of the...
  5. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  6. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  7. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 7 used to show the properties of a file or shortcut on the desktop when I hover my...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 7 used to show the properties of a file or shortcut on the desktop when I hover my...: Is there any way/setting to make Windows 10 behave like Windows 7. I really liked in Win 7 when I hovered my mouse curser over an icon spreadsheet, .exe, etc it would show me the info like date modified, file size, etc. Windows 10 does not do this nor can I find a way to...
  9. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  10. Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It

Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It: Greetings: I have a folder containing photos, Word docs, music, etc. A mouse hover over the folder shows a file size of approximately 20 GB. But when right click on the folder and select properties, it shows a size of roughly 6 GB. Which is it and why the discrepancy?...