Windows 10: "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate

Discus and support "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here's something strange! I tried to shut my computer down because of another problem, and I found that it only went into Hibernate. When I started it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delly10, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Delly10 Win User

"Shut Down" only enters Hibernate

Here's something strange! I tried to shut my computer down because of another problem, and I found that it only went into Hibernate. When I started it back up, programs were still running that would have normally been turned off when the computer shuts down. So I tried it again, making absolutely sure to click "Shut Down". After that, the screen displayed "Shutting Down.....", so I figured it must be. Then I turned it back on and it resumed as if only going into Hibernate. So then I clicked on Restart, and then it actually did shut down and start up from the Shut Down condition. But what if I don't want to restart, but just want to Shut it down and leave it off? Can't I do that now?

BTW, the reason I wanted to shut it down is because my flash drive keeps giving me problems. When I plug it in, it doesn't show up and under Drivers and Devices, it has a message about having a memory left from a previous session. I discovered that if I shut down the computer and then turn it back on, I'm able to use the flash drive again--at least until I unplug it and then plug it in again. Then I have to shut the computer down and restart it in order to use the flash drive.

So, shutting down is the only way to solve the flash drive problem, but now that I can no longer do that, is there a way to bring back the Shut Down feature to where it works again?

I have Windows 10 Home Edition, which was originally on the computer when I bought it a few months ago.

:)

Delly10, Oct 2, 2016

2. How do I remove the "Shut down" option?

This eliminates all power options from Windows. I also tried manually creating and modifying the registry key mentioned in your previous reply, but that only removes it from the sign-in screen. Are there any means of only removing the shut down option across
    Windows? I wish to retain Hibernate and Sleep.

Skat0r vista, Oct 2, 2016
  3. buster454 Win User
    Windows 10 "INVALID IP CONFIGURATION"

worked like a champ

buster454, Oct 2, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Windows 10 has a 'Fast Shutdown' mode (enabled by default). This is like Hibernate in that it saves some system states to disk before shitting down, reloading them at start up for a faster start. It may be that some of the settings it saves have become corrupted and its behaving a bit too much like Hibernate.

Try turning off Fast Shutdown. Go to Control Panel - Power options and click Choose what the power button does. The Shut-down settings are greyed out until you click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'. Now un-tick 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)' and click 'Save changes'. Try shutting down now.

If that works normally, you could try tuning Fast start-up back on and see if this has cleared the fault and it behaves normally again. Personally I leave fast start-up off, when I tell a machine to shut down I like it to really shut down. *Smile

Bree, Oct 3, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    For the Flash drive problem, this may help: In File Explorer right-click on the Flash drive in 'My PC' and select Properties. On the Hardware tab select your Flash drive and click the Properties button. On the 'Flash drive USB properties' window click the 'Change settings' button. On the Policies tab select 'Quick removal (default)' and click 'OK'. This should be the default setting, but it may have been changed from the default in the past.

Bree, Oct 3, 2016
  6. Delly10 Win User
    Did that and now it seems to be shutting down more completely. I actually have heard about Fast Start-up before and that it should be turned off in order to allow things like Windows Update to fully install the updates. They said that they may not fully install if Fast Start Up is active. That, along with my flash drive problem makes me wonder if Fast Start Up is worth using. I normally just Hibernate my computer anyway until there's a real reason to do a complete shut down anyway.

Delly10, Oct 3, 2016
  7. Delly10 Win User
    I'll have to give this a try! Thank you for this solution!

Delly10, Oct 3, 2016
  8. "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate

I've noticed the same thing, I wonder if something has turned on fast start...

nigelmercier, Oct 4, 2016
  9. nigelmercier, Oct 4, 2016
  10. Delly10 Win User
    Ok, I went into my computer and did as you said. It turned out that the Quick Removal option was already set. Is there anything else that could be causing the problem I was referring to?

Delly10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate - Similar Threads - Shut Down enters

2. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  3. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  4. INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR after shutting down or hibernating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR after shutting down or hibernating: Hi Experts, I have a HP Elitebook 840 G5 that is running into INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR bugcheck when starting up the laptop after shutting down, rebooting or hibernating. This issue is intermittent but it's happening quite a few times for the past couple of months to be...
  5. Hibernation shuts down the PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation shuts down the PC: Everytime I click on hibernate, instead of hibernating, it immediately and instantly shuts down the PC and next time I open up, I have to open all apps. It just goes OFF instantly The power plan settings hard disk turn off is set to 0 as advised. This happened after may 2020...
  6. Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue: Hello, Recently I had replaced new battery and Hard disk for my laptop(HP Pavilion p045tx notebook, 4th i7, 8 GB/1 TB). Then Changed the OS to windows 10 instead of previous 8.1. Till then, the laptop is facing issues with sleep, hibernate & shut down functions. When I...
  7. HIbernate or shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    HIbernate or shut down?: I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the...
  8. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep: I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which...
  9. Laptop not Shutting down Nor Hibernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop not Shutting down Nor Hibernating: Hi Everyone I have HP elitebook 8460P Core i5 Second generation laptop. And I installed windows 10 32bit. But there is a big problem. And the problem is that , that when i am clicking on shut down, shutting down screen appears. and after that My PC's screen become black,...
  10. Shutting down coming out of Hibernation???

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutting down coming out of Hibernation???: Hi All I have a weird problem that started about 3 months ago before that all was well, if I put my Windows 10 laptop into Hibernation when I try to bring it out it shuts down, it does start to try to open but it gets to the point where the black background with the blue...