Windows 10: Shut down

Discus and support Shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I shut down Windows 8.1 the connect light on the Router stays lite.On windows 10 preview when shut down the connect goes out. Is this normal ?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fred0843, Jan 29, 2015.

1. fred0843 Win User

Shut down

When I shut down Windows 8.1 the connect light on the Router stays lite.On windows 10 preview when shut down the connect goes out. Is this normal ? Does windows 10 shut down more of the computer then Windows 8.1 ?

:)

fred0843, Jan 29, 2015
  2. 707606 Win User

PC wont shut down, using start menu > shut down.

My computer restarts if I shut down from the start menu.

If I shut it down from the sign out > shut down however, it shuts down properly and doesn't restart.

So my question is.

What's wrong with my start menu > shut down?

Is the the button itself?

It's funny how the sign out > shut down does it's job. But the start menu doesn't and just restarts my computer.

I've tried fixing it in many ways, I figured it was a power issue. I messed with my power and sleep and such options, even regedit and other areas.

Nothing helped.

I don't spot any errors or device problems. My updates are fine and I don't have any blue screens or anything. It's just the shut down command on the start menu that keeps restarting my computer.

What I've been doing is start menu > shut down. Once it restarts I go to the shut down in the sign in screen and it shuts down.

But I've just decided to not hurt my computer anymore and go to sign out> shut down since.

I'll repeat once more.

My computer wont shut down using start menu > shut down. It restarts.

My computer shuts down, if i use start menu > sign out > shut down. Then it shuts down properly and wont restart.

What's the problem?

707606, Jan 29, 2015
  3. Craigcam Win User
    Can't shut down my Dell Laptop (intel) with Shut Down button.

I fixed this on Windows 10 Pro 1709 in a new system by going into the BIOS and changing the Boot order.

I have all SSDs in my system but the boot SSD drive appeared twice with a Windows Boot manager as the first name.

So I changed the Windows boot manager located on my Boot drive to the second drive and the boot drive (the same drive I know this is confusing) as the first boot choice.

Don't ask me why this worked, but it did!

Onward!

Craigcam, Jan 29, 2015
  4. Winuser Win User

Shut down

Do you have Fast Start turned on in Win 8.1?

Winuser, Jan 29, 2015
  5. fred0843 Win User
    No fast turn on is off both

fred0843, Jan 29, 2015
  6. I have found the Shutdown procedure in Windows (all versions, clear back to Win-98) is a real pain in the backside.

So going back over 15 years, I've used a Quick Shutdown Icon on my desktop or in my Quick Launch Toolbar.

The syntax for the shortcut has changed some since the '98 days, but it still works to close files and Shutdown the PC, much faster than going through the Windows Shutdown Procedure.

Here's the Syntax for the Windows Quick Shutdown for Windows 8 and 8.1. It still works, by the way, in Windows 10.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

I either put this shortcut on the Desktop, right above the START button, or in the Task Bar.
    Every space in the shortcut is important, so just copy and paste the blue line into a New Desktop Shortcut.

Cheers Mates and Happy Shutdown!
    *Cool

PS: For added safety, Plug your computer and monitor into a Switchable Power Strip and shut that OFF after
    you shutdown your computer. There have been hundreds of complaints, about PC's coming ON by themselves and shutting off the power to the PC totally eliminates that. (Desktop PC's only...NOT Laptops)

Added Note:
    If your router is WiFi and Not protected by a password, someone else may be accessing it, when you're not.
    Every WiFi Router, should be password protected.

TechnoMage, Jan 29, 2015
  7. caperjack Win User
    I also use what TechnoMage uses and have been for a long time now
    plus this one,just because I think it neat,lol,
    someone posted this in another thread here on win10 forum awhile back ,, Slidetoshutdown.exe ,
    you can type it into Run ,or create a new desktop shortcut using "Slidetoshutdown.exe" in the location box ,with out the quotes of course

caperjack, Jan 29, 2015
  8. fred0843 Win User

Shut down

Looks like Windows 10 may be doing some thing like if you turn off power with a switched power strip to the computer.
    Could this be some thing new in windows 10 ??

fred0843, Jan 29, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    Hey fred:
    I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue but, did Windows happen to sneak this update on your install?

Shut down [​IMG]

I've read some conflicting info about this so I'm not sure.

Edwin, Jan 29, 2015
  10. linw Win User
    The switch port goes dead here as well when in sleep mode or shutdown. Maybe a 'by design' feature?

Thema:

Shut down

1. Shut down - Similar Threads - Shut down

2. Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.: I replaced my laptop battery this week and lately the pc HP 255 G7 NOTEBOOK PC, internal battery just powers off whilst in use. And to power it on it needs to be plugged in. It then shows an error on startup, CMOS failure or something then restarts. After it's on I can unplug...
  3. Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.: I replaced my laptop battery this week and lately the pc HP 255 G7 NOTEBOOK PC, internal battery just powers off whilst in use. And to power it on it needs to be plugged in. It then shows an error on startup, CMOS failure or something then restarts. After it's on I can unplug...
  4. My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.: The screen is completely blank, but the power button is on and the caps lock is flashing as well—3 long, 5 short. It usually takes a long pattern of turning it off and turning it on for it to work. The second time this happened, I got an error saying "CMOS checksum is...
  5. My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.

My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.: The screen is completely blank, but the power button is on and the caps lock is flashing as well—3 long, 5 short. It usually takes a long pattern of turning it off and turning it on for it to work. The second time this happened, I got an error saying "CMOS checksum is...
  6. My HP laptop has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My HP laptop has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.: The screen is completely blank, but the power button is on and the caps lock is flashing as well—3 long, 5 short. It usually takes a long pattern of turning it off and turning it on for it to work. The second time this happened, I got an error saying "CMOS checksum is...
  7. My HP laptop has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.

My HP laptop has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.: The screen is completely blank, but the power button is on and the caps lock is flashing as well—3 long, 5 short. It usually takes a long pattern of turning it off and turning it on for it to work. The second time this happened, I got an error saying "CMOS checksum is...
  8. Windows 7 shuts down randomly in welcome screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 shuts down randomly in welcome screen: When I turn on my Dell Inspiron 1545I boot to Windows 7 and then it randomly shuts down in the welcome screen.Drivers are updated and the laptop was not overheatingIt has dual boot to Windows 10 Plus I think this happened because of disk check thinking my pc is corrupted...
  9. Windows 7 shuts down randomly in welcome screen

Windows 7 shuts down randomly in welcome screen: When I turn on my Dell Inspiron 1545I boot to Windows 7 and then it randomly shuts down in the welcome screen.Drivers are updated and the laptop was not overheatingIt has dual boot to Windows 10 Plus I think this happened because of disk check thinking my pc is corrupted...
  10. PC unexpectedly shutting down

PC unexpectedly shutting down: While my PC idles, it will sometimes shut down for seemingly no reason. This is occurring on a new prebuilt PC, and has doesn't have anything to do with an automatic hard disk shut down. I have the dump files for all the occurrences....