Windows 10: Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Discus and support Shutdown then Immediately Restarts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro x64 HP Spectre x360 15t, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, NVidia Geforce MX150 2GB GDDR5 I was having some issues with HP printer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ghanson, Jan 7, 2018.

1. ghanson Win User

Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Win 10 Pro x64
    HP Spectre x360 15t, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, NVidia Geforce MX150 2GB GDDR5

I was having some issues with HP printer drivers but that did not appear to cause this shutdown issue. I plugged an LG BE14NU40 Blu-Ray Writer via USB and output via HDMI port on PC to a TV. The system seemed to have issues with video getting to TV and I had to restart. After the movie ended (American Assassin, 3 out of 5 stars, the book was better) I issued shutdown command and the system restarted. I could not get it to shutdown at all so left it for this morning.
    I changed Power Settings so that pressing the power button causes shutdown. Absent that I cannot get it to shutdown by command or using nirsoft's nircmd with /s switch. Everything but pressing the power button to kill it results in a restart.

What could be the culprit?

:)

ghanson, Jan 7, 2018
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Shut down and then restarts by itself immediately

Hi,

It's possible that some settings on your computer are affecting your computer. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Did you make any changes to your computer before this started happening?

Given the troubleshooting steps you've already attempted, we'd like to learn exactly what each and everyone of them are, aside from the ones you've already listed. This would help us skip them and help us isolate the cause of the concern as well.

We look forward to your reply.

Yolvi Ell, Jan 7, 2018
  3. micarden Win User
    Shut down and then restarts by itself immediately

Whenever I shut down my computer the computer will shut down first, but after a few seconds it restarts by itself

I haver a Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 and Windows 10 installed. I bought my laptop at Microsoft store

Therefore, I have two options:

1) Leave my computer running in locked mode (which means the laptop will heat up a lot and drain its battery), or

2) Force a shut down by holding down the physical power button set on the right side of the laptop (which I believe it will damage my computer in the long run)

My computers details:

Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1; Windows 10 installed. I bought my laptop at Microsoft store in December 2017 and the problem was always there

I tried EVERY POSSIBLE solution, including installing Windows 10 from a recovery drive an installing ALL new version of the drivers but the problem still persists (also changing power preferences, and some other possible solutions I found on internet and
    suggested by Dell Technical team - they have no clue on what the problem is).

I saw many people on this forum had EXACTLY the same problem. I hope someone can help

thanks!

micarden, Jan 7, 2018
  4. Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Please boot your computer into Safe Mode and try shutting down your computer from Safe Mode and tell us if issue persist or not.

FreeBooter, Jan 7, 2018
  5. ghanson Win User
    FreeBooter,
    Thanks for the reply. The issue occurs in Safe Mode, as well. Note that this is a new Windows 10 installation and not an upgrade from Win 7/8.

ghanson, Jan 7, 2018
  6. Can you reset BIOS settings to its default factory settings you can do this from BIOS setup utility.

FreeBooter, Jan 7, 2018
  7. ghanson Win User
    Reloaded factory defaults in BIOS and attempted shutdown: the computer restarted.

ghanson, Jan 7, 2018
  8. Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

FreeBooter, Jan 7, 2018
  9. ghanson Win User
    No joy. I followed the instructions and unchecked allowing the computer to save power.
    Start menu shutdown: restarts
    Command line shutdown: restarts
    Single press of power button: restarts (system set to shut down on press of power button)
    Hold power button for 4 seconds: shutdown

ghanson, Jan 7, 2018
  10. Make sure to install Windows 10 updates.

Boot your computer with KNOPPIX bootable live CD, DVD or USB flash drive and see you can shutdown your computer from KNOPPIX if you can then we will know shutdown problem cause by Windows 10.

FreeBooter, Jan 7, 2018
  11. ghanson Win User
    I will perform that operation tonight. (I've got to get back to work.)
    Thank you for the real-time assistance, FreeBooter!

ghanson, Jan 7, 2018
  12. ghanson Win User
    I used Etcher to burn KNOPPIX 8.1 CD/DVD to a USB drive. Booted to it and got the system to come up. Boy, KNOPPIX does not like 3840 x 2160 resolution! I had to grab a pair of magnifying glasses I use for circuit work to be able to read the menus.
    I am comfortable with ubuntu but know little of KNOPPIX. I could not find how to shut it down so I opened a terminal and issued sudo shutdown -hP now. That worked and I heard "Initiating Shutdown" in the spacey, female voice.
    The system shut down and then restarted.
    Did I write the correct command or does KNOPPIX need something special to issue a full shutdown?
    Gack!

ghanson, Jan 8, 2018
  13. Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Try below command:

Code: shutdown -h now[/quote]
    If above command wont work try below suggestion.

• Click the “K” menu in the bottom left corner.
    • Click “Logout”.
    • Knoppix will begin shutting down.
    • The Knoppix CD will be ejected.
    • Remove the CD and close the tray.
    • Press Enter on the keyboard.
    • Knoppix will attempt to turn off the computer automatically. If it doesn't turn off automatically, it is now safe to turn off the computer yourself using the power button.

FreeBooter, Jan 8, 2018
  14. ghanson Win User
    Had to use the K menu to initiate shutdown.
    As before, the screen reports the system shutdown and then the computer restarted.

ghanson, Jan 8, 2018
  15. Please upgrade BIOS firmware with latest version of the BIOS firmware. You can download latest version of the BIOS firmware from your computer manufacturer website.

If something goes wrong, it could render the PC completely unbootable; you won't even be able to boot a live Linux flash drive or reinstall Windows. There's probably a way to bring the PC back to life, but it won't be easy. Normally one should not really update the bios unless you are experiencing issues which a newer version address, which appears to be the situation in your case.

FreeBooter, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

1. Shutdown then Immediately Restarts - Similar Threads - Shutdown Immediately Restarts

2. Help with immediate shutdowns after filecrypt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with immediate shutdowns after filecrypt: Hello, I have been having issues with my PC in which it will frequently and randomly freeze and restart.I have RMA'd the ram to Gskill twice. The first set threw errors in memtest86 immediately, second set threw a hardware failure in windows memory diagnostic tool. This third...
  3. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  4. Restart or shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart or shutdown: I have seen a lot of Windows users don't shutdown or restart thier PCs at least at the end of the day and that creates some of low performance or not responding to some commands. I keep telling them please restart it or shutdown so the O.S will re-arrange it's files and fixes...
  5. 4 BSODs: Windows Shutdown immediately

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4 BSODs: Windows Shutdown immediately: Hello everyone,I keep getting BSODs while the PC is idle or after I do some light gaming/work. I have updated my drivers to the latest but I'm not sure why they keep appearing.Minidump files are stored in this link...
  6. 4 BSODs: Windows Shutdown immediately

4 BSODs: Windows Shutdown immediately: Hello everyone,I keep getting BSODs while the PC is idle or after I do some light gaming/work. I have updated my drivers to the latest but I'm not sure why they keep appearing.Minidump files are stored in this link...
  7. Windows restarting immediately after shutdown, with critical and error "The previous system...

Windows restarting immediately after shutdown, with critical and error "The previous system...: For the past while now my computer has been having issues shutting down. When I click "shut down" via the windows power menu, it shuts down like normal. However, my PC doesn't actually shut down but instead reboots immediately. When I shut it down again it shuts down...
  8. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  9. Windows 10 restarts immediately after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 restarts immediately after shutdown: Windows 10 restarts immediately after shutdown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-restarts-immediately-after-shutdown/c73b6d59-c862-4fad-9afa-c0c213268b4a"
  10. restart shutdown

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    restart shutdown: hello, Im just having one problem with win 10 The restart shuts down my computer and I don't have this problem on linux mint can someone point me to a solution. I have tried to turn off hibernation and it seemed to be working for a little while ,but now it just shuts down...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp spectre x360 boots after shut down

2. spectre x360 restarts instead of shutdown

3. spectre x360 shutsdown then reboots