Windows 10: Sign in screen vs lock screen backgrounds

Discus and support Sign in screen vs lock screen backgrounds in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just had my laptop returned after a repair and done a reset/upgrade. I'm 99.999% sure that last time, when I powered it on the background of the sign... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mkr10001, Aug 25, 2017.

1. mkr10001 Win User

Sign in screen vs lock screen backgrounds

Just had my laptop returned after a repair and done a reset/upgrade. I'm 99.999% sure that last time, when I powered it on the background of the sign in screen was the spotlight one with the changing picture and the little info boxes but now its just this picture
    https://ioyby2hf25e3sg55t3muegr1-wpe...-wallpaper.jpg

but if I lock the screen with windows + L I get the proper spotlight images

I swear before I sent it off I got spotlight on both occasions. Should I?

:)

mkr10001, Aug 25, 2017

2. Black lock screen

Using latest Windows 10 (ver 1607 14393.187) 64bit. Using Windows Spotlight for Lock screen.

If "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" is off, lock screen has background picture, sign-in does not; this is correct.

If it is on, then lock screen background is black (date etc is OK) and sign-in has the lock screen background picture. Lock screen should have picture, not black.

JosephLTate, Aug 25, 2017
  3. edreded Win User
    Windows 10 Version 1709-Blank Lock Screen

TeeBee

Question: Do you now see your lock screen picture also as background on your sign-in screen?

This has been the issue for me and others not the blank blue screen.

If I change from Settings:

"Show lock screen background picture on sign in-screen" = ON

Then yes, I also get lock screen background displayed consistently. BUT also get it as unwanted background on the sign-in screen.

If this is setting slider is set = OFF

Then do not get picture displayed on either lock screen or sign-in screen, EXCEPT after awaking PC from sleep when it appears as wanted on lock screen.

So lock screen picture display is inconsistent, as stated by very first poster on this thread above.

edreded, Aug 25, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Are you autologging in, and what version are you running?

cereberus, Aug 25, 2017
  5. mkr10001 Win User
    no auto log in, Pro 1703 Build 15063.540

mkr10001, Aug 25, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Have you set login screen image to be same as lock screen image?

Have you set the lock screen image?

cereberus, Aug 25, 2017
  7. mkr10001 Win User
    Lock screen image is set to spotlight, I think it defaulted to that when I installed creators update

mkr10001, Aug 25, 2017
  8. AntJac Win User

AntJac, Aug 25, 2017
  9. mkr10001 Win User
    yeah that looks to be the same.

really weird as it the same laptop and the image I used to do the refresh is the same as the one that was originally on it so I see no reason for it to not work this time

mkr10001, Aug 25, 2017
  10. AntJac Win User
    My dad's AIO Acer had the same issue but the reset Spotlight tweak worked on that. It hasn't on mine though. I'm resisting the urge to do a repair install as the new major update is out soon

AntJac, Aug 25, 2017
  11. mkr10001 Win User
    Just tried the reset, lock screen is displaying spotlight pictures but sign in screen is still a static image.

might look at the inplace repair installation

mkr10001, Aug 25, 2017
  12. mkr10001 Win User
    ffs just tried a repair installation and still the same.

how...???

why...??

mkr10001, Aug 25, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

I share your frustration, but as I said in post #43 of the thread AntJac pointed you to...
    So what I have done is save one of my favourite Spotlight pictures, set that as the lock screen background picture and turned on 'Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen'. Having restarted, locked the screen and signed in and out a few times to check that I do indeed have my chosen picture on the sign-in screen I can turn Spotlight back on for the lock screen.

Find and Save Windows Spotlight Background Images in Windows 10

I still get the static picture on the sign-in screen, but at least it's now one I like *Smile

14. AntJac Win User
    Just seen this on the MS community site. I havent done anything in registry yet as i am very tentative about messing around with anything in there but maybe one of the more technical guys can see if this works and post back?

I have read a lot of nonsense about how to fix the Windows 10 Spotlight not working issue of the last couple of weeks since I personally have had the issue. I am not a forum poster generally but I had to post my situation in the hope it helps someone.

Basically I get a black lock screen when I press "WIN-L" or when the laptop boots up. I generally hibernate but the same thing happens when I boot from cold. The "Preview" pane in the "Settings - Personalisation - Lock Screen" section was grey when "Windows Spotlight" is chosen, but correctly displays a picture if "Picture" or "Slideshow" was chosen.
    Upon checking the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_<somerandomchara cters>\LocalState\Assets" folder for the images, I could see that the content was being downloaded correctly. When I deleted the files and new ones would appear. If I changed one of the larger files to have a .jpg extension I could open the image and it was fine, but no amount of changing available settings would make Spotlight work correctly.
    I resorted to checking the registry myself for something obvious and found the "hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\lock screen" location. With the Windows Spotlight feature enabled I noticed that under the "Creative" sub-key the locations for the Windows Spotlight images are set. For me the "LandscapeAssetPath" and the "PortraitAssetPath" were set to an image file name that didn't exist and if I turned Spotlight off and on again it would set the same incorrect image file name each time.
    I located a correct landscape image and manually updated the regkey accordingly (note: the directory path to my profile was correct its just the image file name that was wrong). After doing this Windows Spotlight started to work. "WIN-L" once again displayed an image! I have turned Spotlight off and on again in the "Settings - Personalisation - Lock Screen" menu and it displays a new image each time. Also I "Didnt Like" one of the images and it immediately changed it to a new one.
    I am using a standard laptop so I cant say if the same fix applies to Portrait mode.
    Also, I haven't rebooted my machine as yet, but fingers crossed this works permanently.
    Hope this helps someone as it has frustrated me for the last couple of weeks.

AntJac, Aug 26, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    That solution is for a slightly different problem from the one we have...
    ...whereas we get a Spotlight picture, but a different static picture for the sign-in screen. Actually, I get the Spotlight picture on the sign-in screen for WinKey+L but the static picture at start up.

I've checked my registry settings referred to in that fix and found them to be correct, the changes described were not needed.

Thema:

1. Sign in screen vs lock screen backgrounds - Similar Threads - Sign screen lock

2. Lock Screen background picture on sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen background picture on sign in: Is there a way to focus background picture on sign in ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-background-picture-on-sign-in/b49422bc-cce8-441b-b50b-1226bf52180a
  3. Lock Screen background picture on sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock Screen background picture on sign in: Is there a way to focus background picture on sign in ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-background-picture-on-sign-in/b49422bc-cce8-441b-b50b-1226bf52180a
  4. Lock Screen background picture on sign in

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Lock Screen Background

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen Background: I have checked Windows Spotlight on the Lock screen / Background, but the picture never changes. Is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-background/24a64239-4ff4-493d-ab96-a3694cbb914d
  6. lock screen background

lock screen background: hello, I set a custom lock screen and when booting up my PC crashed. when it restarted the lock screen became the default windows lock screen is this a bug or is it supposed to happen...
  7. lock screen background

lock screen background: i cannot change me lock screen background, like i cannot press this button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-background/f795fca4-1d28-4cf7-9232-fdb25e16f5bc
  8. Lock Screen and Sign-in Background not changing

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen and Sign-in Background not changing: Hi, I will try to explain the problem precisely I have the "Show lock-screen background picture on the sign-in screen" enabled, and they have the same background which is good, but the problem is I can't change the background, I have set the "Background" setting to...
  9. lock screen background

lock screen background: My lock screen background is not updating even on windows spotlight mode and is stuck on the same background from the last days. This problem occurred sometime ago also, so at that time i changed the settings from windows spotlight to pictures mode, then again to windows...
  10. Show Lock Screen Background on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Lock Screen Background on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10: How to: Show Lock Screen Background on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show Lock Screen Background on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 Starting in lock screen background picture on your sign-in screen background. This tutorial will show you how to turn...