Windows 10: Simple DVI question?

Discus and support Simple DVI question? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Gigabyte 7870 graphics card. The specs read that I have a DVI-I (dual link). There is a cheap QHD Monitor I am shopping. The monitor specs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Marshall Moore, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Simple DVI question?

I have a Gigabyte 7870 graphics card. The specs read that I have a DVI-I (dual link). There is a cheap QHD Monitor I am shopping. The monitor specs read DVI-D only. Will my graphics card work?

:)

Marshall Moore, Nov 3, 2015

2. Second Monitor Not Working Anymore

Strangely Enough, the fix was a simple yet, odd one. All I had to do was shut down my pc > unplug the power cable in the back > and hold the power button located in the front for 30 seconds to 1 minutes. Then replug-in the computer and turn it on, and
    amazingly enough it started to recognize the monitor in the DVI-D port again. My only guess is that caused a energy flush in the system allowing new energy to surge in and reach the DVI-D port which is located a little farther then the DVI-I port causing it
    to come up short in the power department.

JohnPeterson404, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Windows 10 install = blank (black) screen, no cursor

I have sorted my issue out. Turned out to be really simple.

I have a dual head video card, one VGA output and one DVI. I have been using VGA - I tried connecting DVI up and it went through first time.

Now that windows 10 is running it says that it is using a generic driver not the one for my card so this driver issue must have been affecting how windows chooses which output to use.

IAmTheStig, Nov 3, 2015
  4. stormy13 Win User

Simple DVI question?

As long as you have a dual link DVI cable, yes.

stormy13, Nov 3, 2015
  5. Thank you I was thinking that it would work. The monitor specs say specifically that DVI-I will not work. The graphics card just uses the terminology DVI-I (dual link) instead of DVI-D.

Thanks for your reply!

Marshall Moore, Nov 3, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    DVI-D is digital only (Digital Visual Interface - Digital only). DVI-I (Digital Visual Interface - Integrated) is the same as DVI-D plus 4 extra pins. These extra pins are used in a DVI-to-VGA adapter to get an analog signal for old VGA (D-SUB) monitors. A DVI-D male-male cable should connect both on your graphics card and on the monitor without any issue. You don't need the extra pins for a digital connection, that's why the monitor doesn't have them. Just make sure the cable is for digital connection.

For details see DVI in Wikipedia

spapakons, Nov 3, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    I'm unfamiliar with "QHD".

What resolution and frame rate does the monitor support?

(DVI Dual Link supports up to 2560 X 1600 at 60 Hz. I have a cheap 3840 X 2160 display. To get 60 Hz, I use a DisplayPort cable.)

bobkn, Nov 5, 2015
  8. Simple DVI question?

That's a good question because I took a look on Newegg and they seem to omit the refresh rate in the specs. I am sure I could search it enough to find out. I believe QHD is sometimes also listed as WQHD. The few I've been looking at have a 2560 x 1440 (2K) resolution. Prices have fell to as low as 199.00 for a Korean brand 27".

Marshall Moore, Nov 5, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    QNIX QX2710? 60 Hz. (One site showed it as overclockable to 120 Hz, but it's not clear that is a good idea.)

$200US for a 2560 X 1440 PLS monitor? Seems like a great bargain.

bobkn, Nov 5, 2015
  10. I thought so too. I paid 299.00 for my HP 27" and its max resolution is 1920x1080. Of course that was 3 years ago. I read somewhere before about overclocking the refresh rates. I would have to learn how that is done. There is something you might can help me with. I want to experience a monitor with higher resolutions because I love higher resolution definitions clarity. I am not to thrilled about smaller text and icons. With your monitor can you compensate the settings with windows or the monitor to get larger text and icons at max resolutions?

Marshall Moore, Nov 5, 2015
  11. spapakons Win User
    Yes, you can. Click on the search icon and type scaling. Then click on Change the size of apps on screen. Move the slider to the right to make things larger.

spapakons, Nov 5, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    Right. No problems on the desktop or in web browsers.

Some applications (like Photoshop CS6) don't seem to scale well to high resolutions. Things can get rather small on a 28" monitor at 3840 X 2160. Perhaps if I was prepared to update/subscribe...

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Simple DVI question?

1. Simple DVI question? - Similar Threads - Simple DVI question

2. A simple question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A simple question: This is not related to my computer, but here's a quick question. Can Windows Defender still scan viruses even if the OS is something like a Windows 7? unsupported https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-simple-question/3da19697-7034-4131-8361-d3faa23cc59c
  3. A simple question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A simple question: This is not related to my computer, but here's a quick question. Can Windows Defender still scan viruses even if the OS is something like a Windows 7? unsupported https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-simple-question/3da19697-7034-4131-8361-d3faa23cc59c
  4. A hopefully simple curiosity question...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A hopefully simple curiosity question...: Over the past few years and my last 2 or 3 laptops, I have always bought laptops with the largest hard drive I could get...right now, my current laptop has a 1TB SSD drive. I've done this because I've got tons of pictures and other documents for genealogy research, and have...
  5. Simple Questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Simple Questions.: Hello. I'm pretty new to this and I have a couple of simple questions. What are the ways to install Windows 10 on a PC? The only way I know is using a USB drive with a copy of Windows 10 on it and installing it with that. What happens if you boot up a PC for the first...
  6. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA: OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second display to a computer with only 1 VGA port and no room for a video card for a project my wife is involved in. I believe the...
  7. Quick and simple question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick and simple question: So guys, I've been using Windows 10 LTSC for like a year now and been perfectly fine, but now I have to downgrade to Pro edition. I've read that you cant downgrade to Pro without wiping all the data, but can I downgrade losslessly if I buy and change the product key to Pro...
  8. Simple questions, simple issues, no answers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Simple questions, simple issues, no answers: Hello. 1) Why all Microsoft troubleshooting utilities ends in errors? Nothing of built-in utilities never solved my problem. 2) Why do you shut down MS Store on W8.1 and it says, please try again later. Why it cannot say, Sorry, were closed forever? 3) Why is there such...
  9. so simple question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    so simple question: Can you use a ps4 controller for a game emulator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/so-simple-question/1df12f99-c8bd-4482-998b-4b1af1156ca6
  10. HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions: It will probably be a long time before I can afford this thing but it looks pretty exciting. Looking at it's setup made me wonder. Part of the setup requires a HDMI out or DVI output from your PC. Fair enough. But on my Nvidia 980ti GPU I already use the HDMI out to connect...