Windows 10: Since signing up to OneDrive I can't find Docs and Pics easily

Discus and support Since signing up to OneDrive I can't find Docs and Pics easily in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I think the first thing I want to do, before dealing with OneDrive, is to have files stored in the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cheapster, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Cheapster Win User

Since signing up to OneDrive I can't find Docs and Pics easily

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I think the first thing I want to do, before dealing with OneDrive, is to have files stored in the same Documents and Pictures files all the time. I believe they used to be at the end of this path: This PC > OS (C) > Users > "Username". Am I right thinking this is the path Windows defaults to?

Also, as I said before, I'm not completely au fait with the pathway architecture of File Explorer but is it possible that my misuse of OneDrive has created the Documents and Pictures folders directly within This PC (see screen grab below) or do folders with these names always appear both inside This PC and again, deeper down, in OS (C) > Users > "Username"? If the latter, it seems an unnecessary complication.

Since signing up to OneDrive I can't find Docs and Pics easily [​IMG]

Can I solve this problem and then move on to OneDrive settings or is it possible my OneDrive settings are at the root of this problem?

Cheapster, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Cheapster Win User

I'm not a Windows native and I find much of it unintuitive, especially the architecture of File Explorer where folders of the same name can be found down multiple pathways (for example, there are Documents and Pictures folders in OS (C) > Users > Username and also in This PC).

I used to find my docs and pics in the folders at the end of the first path but the Docs and Pics folders there are now empty. This change seems to have occurred since I signed up to OneDrive, which I also find far from intuitive.

What is the best way to restore my docs and pics to where I used to find them. If this involves de-activating my OneDrive account, so be it. I would like all my files to back up to the cloud but perhaps OneDrive is not the solution for me.

:)

Cheapster, Apr 11, 2018
  3. After I installed Windows 10 I lost personal files.

Luckily I backed up my pics doc. to One Drive However I did not do this with my music Now I can't find my music I would appreciate any feed back on how to find the music files

MarilynPYLE, Apr 11, 2018
  4. RGDG Win User

Documents being saved to OneDrive when I want them saved only to local PC

Thank you for responding. I have already done what the “Files save to OneDrive by default” link you provided. “This PC only” has already been selected for Doc & Pics.

But, after creating a doc, it is still saved in OneDrive.

I create a doc, then select ‘computer’ under the save as section. Again, the doc is saved in OneDrive as well as Documents in the This PC section. It is not saved in Documents under "Libraries."

What do I have to do in order to have my documents saved ONLY to my local PC? I do NOT want them saved in OneDrive!

Thanks for any help provided!

5. mrgeek Win User
    "I used to find my docs and pics in the folders at the end of the first path but the Docs and Pics folders there are now empty."
    1) Follow this simple tutorial to change the default save location from Onedrive to This PC folders that you're used to using - Auto Save Documents to OneDrive or This PC in Windows 10

"What is the best way to restore my docs and pics to where I used to find them."

2) Copy the contents of the Onedrive folders to the corresponding This PC folders, eg; Pictures to Pictures, etc. Move them if you don't want the files in the Onedrive cloud.

"I would like all my files to back up to the cloud but perhaps OneDrive is not the solution for me."
    3) This is exactly what Onedrive is for, although the free space may not be enough for most and you may need to buy more space. You can pick and choose which files to back up. R-click the Onedrive tray icon/Settings/Accounts tab. Choose your preferences.

Since signing up to OneDrive I can't find Docs and Pics easily [​IMG]

Understand that the folders in the nav panel are separate spaces. The folders under This PC are on your hard drive only. The folders under Onedrive are on both your PC AND the cloud. Hence, anything you want backed up, needs to be in the Onedrive folders.
    You may find that you want the same files in both locations (copy file to Onedrive folder), or to save cloud space, you may choose not to back up a big Music collection and use an external drive to back. I hope this clarifies your options.
    As you can see from my picture, Onedrive is a handy service for me to share huge files that can't be emailed.

mrgeek, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Since signing up to OneDrive I can't find Docs and Pics easily - Similar Threads - Since signing OneDrive

2. Docs&Pics in onedrive wont relocate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Docs&Pics in onedrive wont relocate.: There are folders of the same name that I've downloaded data to from onedrive. I've unlinked OneDrive, diddled with ownership, and made various changes to security settings and get the same error. Help!...
  3. Docs&Pics in onedrive wont relocate.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Docs&Pics in onedrive wont relocate.: There are folders of the same name that I've downloaded data to from onedrive. I've unlinked OneDrive, diddled with ownership, and made various changes to security settings and get the same error. Help!...
  4. Docs&Pics in onedrive wont relocate.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't sign into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign into OneDrive: In addition to not being able to sync Edge, here is the message that I get when I try to sign into OneDrive:ERRORSomething went wrong [1001]Correlation Id: 73f92f72-0da0-43e0-8d8f-a7d4e43b2029Timestamp: 2024-03-02T23:51:04.000ZDPTI:...
  6. Can't sign into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't sign into OneDrive: In addition to not being able to sync Edge, here is the message that I get when I try to sign into OneDrive:ERRORSomething went wrong [1001]Correlation Id: 73f92f72-0da0-43e0-8d8f-a7d4e43b2029Timestamp: 2024-03-02T23:51:04.000ZDPTI:...
  7. Can't sign into OneDrive

8. Can't sign in to OneDrive

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't sign in to OneDrive: I have not been able to sign in to OneDrive for months. I put in my user name and password with no problem. It asks if I want to use the existing or new file location - I've tried both multiple times. It always comes back with "There was a problem signing you in - please...
  9. Can't Sign Into OneDrive

Can't Sign Into OneDrive: Hi I am trying to sign into OneDrive to renew my subscription but keep getting the following message. "Something went wrong and we can't sign you in at the moment. Please try again later. The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication...
  10. propeties for sign in pic to find location

in Windows 10 Customization
    propeties for sign in pic to find location: properties for sign in pic to find location? seems like forever to wait for them. sometimes they show right away if you just don't sign in & once signed in gone & no way to retrieve, unless you shut down & again sit & wait....