Windows 10: Size error for update reported???

Discus and support Size error for update reported??? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have automatic updates disabled and use the Update MinTool. I do this because where we live I have to use Mobile Internet and have a capped monthly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pewe, Dec 15, 2017.

1. pewe Win User

Size error for update reported???

I have automatic updates disabled and use the Update MinTool.
    I do this because where we live I have to use Mobile Internet and have a capped monthly allowance so need to control the timing of update downloads.

Today I saw an update notified in the WUMT which reported a size of 195.72 GB (which is more than 5 months of my data allowance.
    So I went to the Windows update catalogue to see it is shown as 510.9 MB.

Why would the update tool be showing the wrong size ????? - it has not reported incorrect sizes for updates in the past.

Size error for update reported??? [​IMG]

:)

2. Cannot download and update any application from store

Hello Are you getting any error code?

I am not getting any error or error code reference. all apps are downloaded by half of there actual size and then stucks. for example, 9 MB of Excel update is downloaded but can not download app after 9MB even after restart. same size of update is downloaded
    even if I cancel downloading update, close and reopen the store.

This is happening almost on all Microsoft developed apps and games. but some other apps. such whatsapp, adobe photoshop is downloaded successfully.

- Harshal

Harshal Ladhe, Dec 15, 2017
  3. How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Even though I have an external device with more than 40 Gb capacity and the assistant recognizes it, it still keeps asking me to free 5 more Gb from the (unit CSize error for update reported??? :).

I have 3'62 Gb free memory in (Unit CSize error for update reported??? :). It asks me to free 5'63 Gb more. That'll make a total of 9'25 GB. The assistant needs 9'80 GB free memory to update windows 10 without any external device. Does this mean that my external device will only be used
    for 0'55 GB? Please I don't understant anything. I just want my laptop to work. I'd stay with my actual version but it keeps showing me ads, interrupting my work and deleting random stuff because of uninterruptible random updates. It has already freed 3 GB
    and I dont even know where from.

Thank you.

Update windows 10 error, Dec 15, 2017
  4. Size error for update reported???

Hi,

I would assume that the KB4054517 update is incorporating all the 64 bit versions & excluding the 32 bit ones.

Lottiemansion, Dec 15, 2017
  5. I imagine, it is about, how does WUMT fetches the size info?
    I guess it might be size of that update with all versions/languages.
    The previous update had around 800MB or so and I saw it like 900GB.

TairikuOkami, Dec 15, 2017
  6. pewe Win User
    I downloaded the Cumulative Update x64 version (my pc is 64bit) and now the installer is saying it is not for my computer - ??????

7. Bree New Member
    Two things here.

First, you are not looking at the same thing in WUMT and the Update Catalog. The Catalog listing shows the December cumulative update for the Fall Creators Update. The WUMT shows the 'Features Update for Windows 10, version 1709' - in other words the install package for the entire operating system, used to upgrade your existing Windows to the Fall Creators Update.

Second, WUMT is completely wrong - the true size of the 'Features Update to Windows 10, version 1709' is about 3 or 4GB (depending on whether you need the 32 or 64 bit version).

Well, that would be because you can't apply a cumulative update designed for 1709 to a PC that isn't running 1709 - and you are obviously not on 1709 else WUMT wouldn't be saying the features update to 1709 is ready for you.

Run Winver to find out what version you have, my guess is that it will say 1703 or (less likely) 1607.

8. Bree New Member

If you're trying to keep within a download data cap, it's not a good idea to download a standalone installer for a cumulative update (even one that's for the correct version). That's because it contains all the fixes issued since your version of Windows 10 was released (most of which you probably have already).

Windows update actually does a good job of minimising downloads, because it only downloads those parts of a cumulative update that are not already installed on your system.

9. pewe Win User
    Thanks guys.

In fact, I noticed that there was a discrepancy in the versions (mine is 1703) that I had not picked up on and was about to post back when I saw your replies.

I also noticed that in Windows update it was reporting different update availability.

The problem is that being on a metered connection is a bit of a problem because Windows update does not give sizes of the updates, and that's why I went to the WUMT.

It appears from the catalogue that the most recent update for 1703 is 1GB - so downloading that now - then see where it goes from there.

10. Bree New Member
    In the Catalog there are Cumulative updates, and then there are Delta updates. The difference is that a cumulative update has all the fixes for your 1703 since the day it was released - the Delta update just has the new fixes since the previous cumulative update. For December, at 247MB 1703's Delta is about a quarter of the size of the Cumulative update.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...px?q=kb4053580

If you were fully up to date before a new cumulative update is released on 'Patch Tuesday' then a Delta update is all you require.

PS: If you had used windows update, that too would only have downloaded about 247MB, because that's all that's new since November.

PPS: Sooner or later windows update will find the 'Features Update to Windows 10, version 1709'. Letting windows update handle this is the least 'download-heavy' way to get the Fall Creators Update. Plan for about 2.5 - 3GB download for an x64 system.

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update phased rollout approach

11. pewe Win User
    Now this is the other reason I went for WUMT, or manual dowloads.

I used windows update and it started the download - and then stuck at 99% (where it has been for the last 45 minutes) - so I have used up data to get to a position where I will probably have to start again.

12. pewe Win User
    Ok, so on my fourth attempt Windows update completed the update for 1703.

However it now wants me to update to 1709 (just like WUMT was trying to do) with no indication of the download size. All I get is this message - what does that mean???

Does it mean that this is the whole download/update size, or that it will download in these size chunks????

13. Bree New Member

Yes, 2.68GB is the size of the total download to upgrade you to the next version. It will be downloaded in smaller chunks.

The features updates work a little differently from cumulative updates. A cumulative downloads a few patches and replaces on or two system files. If a restart is required it will be scheduled for the next time you reboot.

A features update upgrades you to the next release of Windows 10 and replaces the whole OS, keeping your original one in a windows.old folder in case you need to roll back. To do a full upgrade it has to download the install files for a whole new version. This happens in the background and may take some time to complete. You can use the PC as normal while this is being downloaded.

When completed, you won't be forced to install at the next boot. You will be able to postpone it until a time that suits you. The upgrade process can take anything upwards of an hour (and in a few rare cases, a lot longer, so be prepared to leave it running over night).

Note that the upgrade will want to check for updates during install. As you have already downloaded the Standalone installer for the latest 1709 cumulative update you do not need to let it do this. Just make sure you keep that update handy so you can use it after Fall Creators update has installed.

14. pewe Win User
    Thanks.
    But I have a problem (which happens frequently when I try to use Windows update for updates) - the update has started to download but has been sitting at 1% for over an hour and there is no data activity on my connection - I can see what is going on as I use DUMeter.

How can I update without downloading the complete file rather than a cumulative one.

15. Bree New Member
    Features updates like the 'Features update for Windows 10, version 1709' that your windows update is apparently trying to download at the moment do not come in 'cumulative update' form. There's no 'just download the bits you need' option for these. They are a complete copy of the new version of the OS which has to be downloaded in its entirety before it can start installing.

Personally I never rely on windows update to get a Feature Update for me, it often seems to take it's time to get the whole thing downloaded. I prefer to use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to make install media on a USB and use that to perform a manual in-place upgrade. There's little difference in the size of the download and I get to keep the install media when I'm done. It can be useful for repairs (if ever needed) or be used to update other systems.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Thema:

1. Size error for update reported??? - Similar Threads - Size error update

2. Error Report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error Report: How to solve following issue. Please assist.Problemsignatur:P1: 141P2: ffffd109eb1d4050P3: fffff8076402de38P4: 0P5: 684P6: 10_0_19044P7: 0_0P8: 256_1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-report/b2c5e58b-0331-49c4-a7b8-4ef5f86e7fcb
  3. Error Report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Report: How to solve following issue. Please assist.Problemsignatur:P1: 141P2: ffffd109eb1d4050P3: fffff8076402de38P4: 0P5: 684P6: 10_0_19044P7: 0_0P8: 256_1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-report/b2c5e58b-0331-49c4-a7b8-4ef5f86e7fcb
  4. Error Report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NUC not reporting proper sizes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NUC not reporting proper sizes: Code: Disk 0 is an SSD. It has 5 partition(s). Model: CT1000P5SSD8 This computer has the above 1 fixed storage device(s) in total. ======================================================================= Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.19041.610 Copyright (C) Microsoft...
  6. Error Report

Error Report: Hey there guys, so I tried to play Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition but when I try to run the game it shows. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please help!!!...
  7. Windows update error, it reported 0x800f080d

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update error, it reported 0x800f080d: When I update windows KB4549951, it always reported error and failed, so I download window update that a software downloaded from your home website, and finally it also report an error 0x800f080d. I try to find some solutions and find there are some comments about it...
  8. Error Reporting

Error Reporting: Approximately 2 months ago, error reporting by windows stopped. This seemed to coincide with a windows 10 update. By error reporting I mean the message box that should appear on an application failure, informing that the application needs to stop and offering several...
  9. Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; the a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of the folder is actually...
  10. cumulative update 1607 error report

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cumulative update 1607 error report: I tried two times to update, but without any success (many updates before passed without a problem). At the end PC reported that there is a problem and showed for a short time a blue window with the error code and a link to a support. But time was too short to note it and I...