Windows 10: Size of backup file using Windows Backup

Discus and support Size of backup file using Windows Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bdennin, Aug 11, 2015.

1. bdennin Win User

Size of backup file using Windows Backup

I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup Win 7) and after a number of hours had a full system backup.

Everything for this desktop is on my C drive which is a 1TB Hitachi unit. Total space used for OS, applications and personal files is 301GB. The full system backup created on the external WD drive is 447 GB.

Any idea why such a difference in size?

:)

bdennin, Aug 11, 2015
  2. SDS_SDS Win User

Windows 10 File History backup size

Hello

I have just set up a new PC running Windows 10.

I have decided to use File History to backup my files.

I am using a 32GB USB Drive.

I have set the options to backup "Daily" and "Keep files for 12 months"

I have chosen "Documents" and "Pictures" to backup.

When the backup starts it tells me the total backup size will be 10.2 GB yet the size of the Documents and Pictures folder according to Windows Explorer properties is only 1.3 GB.

Why is the File History backup so much larger?

Thank you

SDS_SDS, Aug 11, 2015
  3. al_lea Win User
    Unable to restore backups

what is the size of the backup file? or you can use noki to verify that everything is there in the backup file.

al_lea, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Size of backup file using Windows Backup

Personally, I would recommend using a third-party tool like Macrium Reflect. The free version provides all the options you will regularly need and (generally) will result in a compression of 50% or more when creating a full image backup. This means a backup with MR is likely to take around 150GB.

Mark Phelps, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

Size of backup file using Windows Backup

1. Size of backup file using Windows Backup - Similar Threads - Size backup file

2. Backup Using File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Using File History: For the first time in a long time, I cannot backup my files. I have Windows 10. I am using Backup using File History. In the Overview, it states 0 bytes on my external hard drive even though this is not true. Total space is 1.81 TB. I have tried "stop using the drive" and...
  3. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  4. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  5. Windows 10 SINGLE Backup file size?!?

Windows 10 SINGLE Backup file size?!?: Hi, I have been using Windows backup for years....but..this past year (Windows 10), I have noticed, when I go to Manage Windows Backup disk space Backup or restore your files / Manage space / View backups.../ Select a backup period to delete....there is always now only a...
  6. Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup

Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup: Trying to delete all backups from a drive. Now it says There are no data file backups for this computer on this drive. AND There are no system images for this computer on this drive. And yet the Manage Space tool still reports a System image size of 50 GB. How can I...
  7. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  8. Backup using File History

Backup using File History: Does File History (Libraries) Backups utilize the time schedule I created for Automatic Backups? 62035
  9. Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size: My backup process is to manually do a full system backup followed by periodic differential backups until the size of the differential backup gets too big. My question is how big is too big? My thinking (and this is just a guess) is that when the differential backup is about...
  10. Registry Backup File Size Is Growing

Registry Backup File Size Is Growing: I've backed up my registry twice recently, and I noticed a huge difference in the size of the backup file. Two days ago, the backup I created was 18,066 KB. The one I created this morning is 247,691 KB. Should I be concerned about this, and, if so, what can I do about it? 29317