Windows 10: Size of c:/Users after redirecting default folders.

Discus and support Size of c:/Users after redirecting default folders. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On a new laptop with a SSD drive (c:) I have redirected some of the default folders under c:/Users to a HHD (d:). Ive checked that the new folders are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnhenry, Sep 3, 2018.

1. johnhenry Win User

Size of c:/Users after redirecting default folders.

On a new laptop with a SSD drive (cSize of c:/Users after redirecting default folders. :) I have redirected some of the default folders under c:/Users to a HHD (dSize of c:/Users after redirecting default folders. :). Ive checked that the new folders are in the right location etc. [I created empty folders on d:, used Properties, Location, Move on the ones on c:, selected to move files even though there weren't any at the time.]

However, the free space on the c: drive doesn't reflect this. Hovering the cursor on Users it shows 496 MB but its properties shows 42.5GB and this latter is reflected in the c: drive free and used. The redirect folders show the correct size on d:.

I'm about to add quite a bit of application software which I want on the SSD but what will happen when this exceeds the stated free space??

:)

johnhenry, Sep 3, 2018
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Size of c:/Users after redirecting default folders. ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Sep 3, 2018
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Sep 3, 2018
  4. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Sep 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Size of c:/Users after redirecting default folders. - Similar Threads - Size Users redirecting

2. Redirecting the everything going to the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Redirecting the everything going to the user folder: I have a small system SSD-disk that is getting to small for the task. I don't really have a replacement at hand and I can't afford a new one right now. So I know windows and programs running on windows just keep filling the user-folder with all kinds of trash, it's a...
  3. Redirecting the everything going to the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Redirecting the everything going to the user folder: I have a small system SSD-disk that is getting to small for the task. I don't really have a replacement at hand and I can't afford a new one right now. So I know windows and programs running on windows just keep filling the user-folder with all kinds of trash, it's a...
  4. C:\User folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\User folders: Please respond to the following with your thoughts and recommendations since this setup looks WACKY to me:Note that I am the only person who has ever used my computer. No one else has ever created a User folder on it.There are five User folders under C:\Users in my File...
  5. Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive...

Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive...: Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive since upgrading to Win 10 . How cab be this solved as Im running out of space every week for almost 2 years....
  6. Folder Redirection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder Redirection: I created a folder on Windows 10 and on my Server 2016 I created a GPO that will direct Desktop of the users on the domain to the folder I created on Windows 10. Because I applied wrong the GPO I tried to delete it and unchecked the share box on the folder I created under...
  7. Missing user folder after moved it to c:\

Missing user folder after moved it to c:\: Missing user folder after moved it to c:\ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-user-folder-after-moved-it-to-c/58d83d57-5a6b-4c13-acf7-46f7e010382b"
  8. Redirect Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Redirect Folders: I'd like to redirect the Downloads folder to a different disk (D drive). What's the best method? a. Right click Downloads folder -> Location -> change path b. or, use mklink? Thanks! 21618
  9. Size of Users folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of Users folder: Hello! I have just a little query really. I have a 175GB C: Windows drive. At the moment it has 102GB used. However 47.5GB is the C: Windows/Users folder. I have moved all the pictures, videos and music from this folder to their own dedicated drives, but 47.5GB still...
  10. size of c:\windows folder

in Windows 10 Support
    size of c:\windows folder: When I use file explorer and select c:\windows and then select 'properties' it shows size on disk = 16.6GB. When I enter that folder and select ALL files including hidden ones , the properties show size on disk at 6.4GB. chkdsk /F indicates all is ok. What could account...