Windows 10: Size of Users folder

Discus and support Size of Users folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I have just a little query really. I have a 175GB C: Windows drive. At the moment it has 102GB used. However 47.5GB is the C: Windows/Users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by enfield250, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Size of Users folder

Hello!
    I have just a little query really.
    I have a 175GB C: Windows drive.
    At the moment it has 102GB used.
    However 47.5GB is the C: Windows/Users folder.
    I have moved all the pictures, videos and music from this folder to their own dedicated drives, but 47.5GB still seems rather a lot.
    Are there any files that Windows creates in the Users folder, that I don't need?
    Cheers,
    Colin

:)

enfield250, Nov 2, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

empty the space in C drive

On the View Ribbon in Windows File Explorer, check the box marked 'Hidden Items', then click the Options button on the same Ribbon,

On the resulting dialog, click on the View Tab and in the list on that tab un-check the 'Hide protected Operating System Files'

Now, go back to your C Drive and check the size of the 'System Volume Information' folder and and re-check the size of your Windows Folder, Users Folder and Program Files Folder.

Please get back to us with the sizes of these folders . . .

DaveM121, Nov 2, 2017
  3. Recover pictures folder from windows.old folder Windows 10

Hi Team,

I recently upgraded to windows 10 and I need to recover some photos from windows.old folder which I missed to back up. Is there any way I can retrieve.

I tried to open windows.old/Users folder but it is taking longer time and not loading at all. When I check the size it says 300GB. Is it because of the large size it is not opening? Is there any other way to open my Users folder on windows.old?

Please help me

KomalThiyagarajan, Nov 2, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Size of Users folder

Download Treesize Free, run it and see.

Size of Users folder [​IMG]

You can drill down and see what is taking the space but no, you shouldn't have 47GB stored in a user folder if you don't know what it is.

Most likely it is a bug and something is storing junk in C:\Users\<your name>\apppdata but have a look first...

lx07, Nov 2, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Just as an example: Programs you install create folders which are part of the programs, or which they use for working space and settings, for example.
    Quite a lot of space may be used in folders of which you are unaware.

Size of Users folder [​IMG]

(A quick way to see that is to type
    %appdata%
    in file explorer's search bar)
    Mine is about 2.2Gb (example only). But don't think you should necessarily delete that data. It depends what it is. Some folders are essential parts of the program installation.

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  6. Thanks for the info,
    I have managed to reduce the size of my C:Windows/Users folder to 10.7GB.
    Cheers,
    Colin

enfield250, Nov 2, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    You are welcome. If you run out of space then look. Windows never takes 50GB.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Size of Users folder

1. Size of Users folder - Similar Threads - Size Users folder

2. not able to see folder size in size column

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not able to see folder size in size column: size column does not show the size of the folder. is there a way? Please fix it if someone from Microsoft reading this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-see-folder-size-in-size-column/2cfbde76-3e20-4e80-bd8d-e89f3a863988
  3. Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive...: Duplicated User Folder located in User Documents Folder is doubling the Size of My C Drive since upgrading to Win 10 . How cab be this solved as Im running out of space every week for almost 2 years....
  4. Windows folder size...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows folder size...: This question had been asked previously, but there had been no resolution AFAIK... The "C:\Windows" folder size on my system is: [img] The three folders, that are targeted to be relocated/deleted, have a combined size of ~27 GBs. There are two backup folders that can be...
  5. Size of c:/Users after redirecting default folders.

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of c:/Users after redirecting default folders.: On a new laptop with a SSD drive (c:) I have redirected some of the default folders under c:/Users to a HHD (d:). Ive checked that the new folders are in the right location etc. [I created empty folders on d:, used Properties, Location, Move on the ones on c:, selected to...
  6. Folder Size Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Size Problem: Hi, everyone. I have a quick question. I want the files inside the folder to appear large, but each time I enter the folders the icons are still small. How do I make the entire folders and other icons large by default? Thank you. *Sick 111670
  7. Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of my User folder is actually...
  8. Folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size: In W10, is there a way to always make folders open maximized. I always close them maximized, but the next time I start computer and open them, they are minimized. Thanks for looking. 101166
  9. Folder Size

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Size: Hi Group, I have an internal hard drive, 1 TB, just for data. If I add up the sizes of all the folders, it is about 75 GB. But properties for the drive show it has 455 GB of data. I know it has nowhere near that. The red line appears showing it close to full. What is...
  10. User folder icon size WONT SAVE

in Windows 10 Support
    User folder icon size WONT SAVE: [img] [img] idk why , i go to my folder and i always like to see this icon in big , i select view in big but when i close the folder and open again return to medium icon , why , is look like when i click on large icon is wont save for always!!??? can pls help me 97540