Windows 10: Size of Win10 Updates

Discus and support Size of Win10 Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded my Win 7 to Win10 back in August. Circumstances forced me to use my Win XP until now. I am sure there are numerous updates and fixes that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dlwmacgregor, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Size of Win10 Updates

I upgraded my Win 7 to Win10 back in August.
    Circumstances forced me to use my Win XP until now.
    I am sure there are numerous updates and fixes that have been released since October.
    How can I determine how big those updates are in advance so I can schedule them (I have a 10GB limit per month).
    Thanks.

Doug

:)

dlwmacgregor, Apr 28, 2016
  2. WBGHEX Win User

Print to PDF files too large

Another observation to add.

When printing reports from our application using Win10's "MS Print to PDF", the resulting PDF file size is ~ 10x larger than expected.

If we instead print the same report from our application to the 'MS XPS Document Writer' the resulting OXPS file size is just a fraction (~1/20) of the PDF size.

Now if we open that OXPS file in the MS XPS Viewer and print it again using the 'MS Print to PDF' printer the resulting PDF is now ~12 time larger than expected.

These basic tests using the MS products clearly show the unusual large file size change in behavior when printing to PDF on Win10.

The feedback from our customers who have also encountered this change after updating to Win10 suggests they will delay updating their remaining seats to Win10 until this is resolved or a solution is provided.

WBGHEX, Apr 28, 2016
  3. raffles38 Win User
    data allowance used by windows10 updates

Thanks for the reply Robert. I was aware of the metered connection feature but my main grumble was really the lack of info relating to the data size of Win10 updates.

raffles38, Apr 28, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Size of Win10 Updates

There was a major update to 10586 around 3GB and several updates say around 0.5GB each. When you update most updates are cumulative it only downloads the most recent update as that supersedes all previous updates.

Your bigger issue is general telemetry burning your allowance. If using wifi, set pc to metered connection, and turn off auto updates from various programs.

cereberus, Apr 28, 2016
  5. Thanks Cereberus.
    It is actually an LTE wireless hub (ZTE).
    How do I set the PC to a metered connection?
    Thanks.

Edit.
    Nevermind Cereberus, I found out that you cannot set an Ethernet connection as Metered in Windows 10

dlwmacgregor, Apr 28, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    You can do more or less the same by disabling the windows 10 update service by running services.msc, but if you do that you need to enable it periodically to get updates.

cereberus, Apr 28, 2016
  7. All the updates were completed successfully and the total download was 721 MB. Last date I used Win10 was Sept 19th, 2015. Not bad.

dlwmacgregor, Apr 29, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

Size of Win10 Updates

Just a note, my late July or early August RTM was numbered 10240 and in November there was a new update [bigger, takes longer] called Version 1511 Build 10586.0, I am now up to Build 10586.218 on 3 Desktops and 4 Notebooks with a newer update coming. The Version 1511 number signifies as being Nov. 2015.

To see your version hold down the Windows key and press R to get the Run dialog box. Type winver and press Enter.

Berton, Apr 29, 2016
  9. My Windows 10 version using winver is showing as 10240 but when I search for updates in Settings it says "your device is up-to-date".
    I was wrong about the last used date...it was October 17th, 2015.

10. I guess I'll have to use the Media Creation Tool to Upgrade to 1511.

What I can't understand is why it won't download and install the upgrade by itself.

11. bboyukoy Win User
    Where and how to check the size of these updates? It's not displayed in Control Panel Windows Updates.
    The installed updates is not even in Program Files Installed Updates.

bboyukoy, Apr 30, 2016
  12. roblinb Win User
    Doug did you get it to patch all the way up to the current version, 10586.218?

I know you can search the MS Catalog by KB update number and it will show the file size of the update, but that's definitely not a very efficient way to check. Control panel, installed updates, won't show it even if you filter by details.

roblinb, May 2, 2016
  13. Size of Win10 Updates

I haven't booted into Windows 10 in a week (win7 is my current OS). I have done some further investigation and I believe the update I am missing is the so-called November Update...is this true?
    What I have been reading is that a lot of people back then weren't receiving that update so it was recommended to use the Media Creation Tool and request Update this PC now.
    I'd still like to know how big that major update is.

Here is a screen capture of my Update status.

dlwmacgregor, May 4, 2016
  14. roblinb Win User
    Yeah you are missing it.

Media creation tool might be the way to go.

roblinb, May 5, 2016
  15. I didn;t have to go the Media Creation Tool route.
    I noticed yesterday that it was in my Update List.
    It downloaded and updated successfully...over 2 hours to complete.

dlwmacgregor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Size of Win10 Updates

1. Size of Win10 Updates - Similar Threads - Size Win10 Updates

2. update size ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    update size ?: what is the size of this update from windows 10 to windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-size/61bdc9e8-3696-40a9-b7fc-16f14f2e9813
  3. update size ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    update size ?: what is the size of this update from windows 10 to windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-size/61bdc9e8-3696-40a9-b7fc-16f14f2e9813
  4. UPDATE SIZE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UPDATE SIZE: I just want to know the size of 21h1 update my current version is 1903 os build18362.1256. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-size/bc6138c3-78e1-4c33-8468-e49f266e25e8
  5. Win10 update size.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 update size.: Hi Folks, is there any way I can see the size of the updates before starting to download or during download? 154327
  6. Size of November update

Size of November update: Hey there! I have to update Windows 10 to 1909 version. What's the size of the update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-november-update/2bcee78f-7b89-42af-a2bb-0990345ca022
  7. Update Size

Update Size: Im sorry to be re-ask this question again, cause im not too understand on last same question i ask. now im ask with the screenshot that show my current windows 10 version. my question is : *) How much update size to the newer version of windows? *) What happened if i...
  8. Update Size

Update Size: My windows version is Windows 10 build 10240. i want to update it to newer version, how big that the size to download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-size/079c3585-8ea3-4a00-8ae2-a0bd613172bc
  9. WIN10 No Longer Remembers SubWindow Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN10 No Longer Remembers SubWindow Size: Example... using E:\Download\Birds in earlier Win 10, I could open both Download and Birds to the same configuration. After Win 10's massive update, going from E:\ to \Download sometimes gets that folder right, but then going to \Birds never does. I've changed the...
  10. Updates Sizes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates Sizes: Why is when I am doing the update there is no listing of the files size, sometimes I want to do the larger updates at night vs day when I use laptop most, I used to determine by the size in windws 8.1 or is tere something I am missing. Thanks in advance. 17277