Windows 10: sizes of OS

Discus and support sizes of OS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Windows 7 pro 64-bit eats up about 27G. My Windows 10 64-bit eats up about 41G. AND I don't have everything on it. Don't understand the huge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jack, Nov 18, 2014.

1. jack Win User

sizes of OS

My Windows 7 pro 64-bit eats up about 27G.

My Windows 10 64-bit eats up about 41G.
    AND I don't have everything on it.

Don't understand the huge difference.

:)

2. duds60 Win User

Size of OS Anna Download

Thanks P_A

duds60, Nov 18, 2014
  3. timkamat Win User
    Size of OS Anna Download

When you update thru Ovi suite you completely wipe off your firmware and install new one from scratch.And as for OTA update only the needed files are downloaded. Basically there is no difference between these.

timkamat, Nov 18, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

sizes of OS

I have installed some software, the full Office 2013 Professional, XBMC, some tools I need, all this on C:, yet my whole C: drive has only 29.1 GB used:

sizes of OS [​IMG]

Something wrong in your installation or you have stuff in your user profile under C:\Users which takes space.

5. Charlie Win User
    Charlie, Nov 18, 2014
  6. fred0843 Win User
    Install Windirstat to see what is taking up disk space

fred0843, Nov 19, 2014
  7. jack Win User
    Thanks fellows for your responses.
    And from that I gather that you do not have my problem.
    Will check out your suggestions.

8. adamf Win User

sizes of OS

I just did a clean install of TP and 8.1 (upgraded with all upgrades) with no software except emet installed on either yet. Both were in virtual machines with same settings. The VHD for TP is 12.2 GB, 8.1 is 14.95 GB. I would expect 7 to be bigger as it has more patches.

As other said anything else must be additional programs (small), Windows.old, Recovery partition (created sometimes on root of C:\ drive for TP ), C:\$Windows.~BT (a hidden temp upgrade folder sometimes created in TP) or differences in the size of your page file or hiberfil.sys which will depend on your RAM and usage. I can't think of anything else it could be.

You could start by running disk cleanup on TP (will delete windows.old and temp upgrade folders if you did an upgrade install) and then check out what is taking up the space.

adamf, Nov 19, 2014
  9. adamf Win User
    Note WinDirStat shows offline size of online OneDrive files so may not be accurate for builds prior to current.

adamf, Nov 19, 2014
  10. LittleJay Win User
    Turning off Hyberfile and setting the page file to a max of 2 GBs dropped the size of W10 on my SSD from 19.2 GBs to 12.6 Gb's. I did a clean install so I didn't have the windows.old folder, which would also make a difference.

LittleJay, Nov 19, 2014
  11. jack Win User
    The disk space keeps on increasing. Now 44,947,537,920.
    Search did not find "Windows.old".

I ran "Windirstat" and Windows was the biggest user.
    But Windows store is also a big user. Can, should I delete this file????
    It takes up scads of time when I do a defrag.

I am at build 9879 and I thought since this is in test mode that Microsoft updated the builds.
    I do not know how to upgrade to the latest build. Would you please enlighten me.
    I also ran "disk clean up"
    Thanks for any help.

12. BunnyJ New Member
    Try to provide some images of explorer for the drive you have 9879 installed on. Usage and stuff. The more the better.

That might help out some.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 19, 2014
  13. BunnyJ New Member

sizes of OS

Mine for my PC

sizes of OS [​IMG]

Win10:

sizes of OS [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Nov 19, 2014
  14. fred0843 Win User
    This may heip

After reinstall disk space used 18GB
    After updates disk space used 34GB

used windirstat I found files Repository had 18.6GB. I deleted it went back to disk space used 18GB

This worked for me.
    May or may not work for you.

fred0843, Nov 19, 2014
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    My whole 10 is 10.66GB . But this is the naked system - nothing installed.

sizes of OS [​IMG]

Thema:

sizes of OS

1. sizes of OS - Similar Threads - sizes

2. Windows 10 gets Windows 11’s feature to reduce month updates package size

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 gets Windows 11’s feature to reduce month updates package size: Windows 10 is getting another feature from Windows 11, but it’s not related to the Web or MSN this time. Microsoft is introducing smaller monthly cumulative updates for Windows 10. As a result, the upcoming May 2024 Patch Tuesday update will be less than 700 MB in size, and...
  3. Why can't I create custom page sizes in Microsoft Print to PDF in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I create custom page sizes in Microsoft Print to PDF in Windows 11?: I am using Windows 11. I need to add a custom page size for Microsoft Print to PDF but there is no option to create a new size. Under advanced there is only the choice to select a number of default page sizes only....
  4. Why can't I create custom page sizes in Microsoft Print to PDF in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I create custom page sizes in Microsoft Print to PDF in Windows 11?: I am using Windows 11. I need to add a custom page size for Microsoft Print to PDF but there is no option to create a new size. Under advanced there is only the choice to select a number of default page sizes only....
  5. How do I reset my font size?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reset my font size?: How do I reset the font size on my laptop? And could this have caused other issues with logging into sites? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reset-my-font-size/63271dc2-951a-410b-9525-ab90e0749453
  6. How do I reset my font size?

How do I reset my font size?: How do I reset the font size on my laptop? And could this have caused other issues with logging into sites? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reset-my-font-size/63271dc2-951a-410b-9525-ab90e0749453
  7. Dialog box sizes in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dialog box sizes in Windows 11: I use Windows 11. Is there a way I can increase the size of the dialog boxes when using Word, Excel etc? They're often quite small and when I am presenting to a group of people in a room it's often too small for them to read what I'm doing. I've researched it and can only...
  8. Dialog box sizes in Windows 11

Dialog box sizes in Windows 11: I use Windows 11. Is there a way I can increase the size of the dialog boxes when using Word, Excel etc? They're often quite small and when I am presenting to a group of people in a room it's often too small for them to read what I'm doing. I've researched it and can only...
  9. Is there a way to change Dialog Box Button sizes?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to change Dialog Box Button sizes?: I would like to change the dialog box button sizes using Registry Editor in Windows without changing the Display Size. I tried searching around the internet, but I could not find any documentation like that. I would like if someone gave me at least something that matches my...
  10. Is there a way to change Dialog Box Button sizes?

Is there a way to change Dialog Box Button sizes?: I would like to change the dialog box button sizes using Registry Editor in Windows without changing the Display Size. I tried searching around the internet, but I could not find any documentation like that. I would like if someone gave me at least something that matches my...