Windows 10: Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar

Discus and support Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have successfully installed Windows 10 ("final') on three devices: One venerable notebook, one "media" desktop computer (in my living room) and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hammerz, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Hammerz Win User

Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar

I have successfully installed Windows 10 ("final') on three devices: One venerable notebook, one "media" desktop computer (in my living room) and my main desktop computer in my home office.

Unfortunately, I have encountered a strange phenomenon on my main work computer. I have set the taskbar icons to "large" and they are a "bearable" size. However, the desktop icons (which I don't display on the desktop) in the taskbar are TINY (!) — and I can't find any way to make them larger. *Sad

What make this strange is that there is NO disparity between the size of the App and desktop icons on the desktops of the other two machines. Am I missing a setting, or is this a "glitch"? Is there a workaround? It is really NOT acceptable — a "step backward" form Windows 7, in my opinion. *really

:)

Hammerz, Aug 26, 2015
  2. Aminovos Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons large space

Dear community

After Windows 10 upgrade, I'm having a problem with desktop icons with large space between each other. Not to mention the desktop icons cannot go to the edge of the taskbar or to the edge of right screen. The desktop icons can only be placed like 5 centimeters
    from the edge of the taskbar and almost 3 centimeters from the edge of the right screen. Here is the picture with Recycle Bin and Chrome as only icons you can see: http://oi58.tinypic.com/x1dlza.jpg

I want my desktop icons to fit on edge on taskbar as well on edge of right screen like in Windows 7. And I also want not to have a large space between desktop icons, but just the same space between icons like in Windows 7. How can I do that?

Aminovos, Aug 26, 2015
  3. resize picture in desktop to size of my display windows10.

Sorry pictures are not the problem. desktop size is! I misled you. desktop wallpaper is too large! Icons and taskbar are somewhat off screen. down to hdmi to dvi-d cable may work. waiting on it! CNTL. + scrolling changes size of pictures and icons
    but not wallpaper on desktop or size of desktop.

denniskimsey, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar

Hello Hammerz Welcome to the Ten Forums!

You aren't the first to be complaining about the size of items pinned to the task bar. Efforts to adjust the dpi on those separately only seem to lower the desktop resolution as well. When 10 first went on here I had to change the screen res back from 1600x1024 or 1600x1152 to the native and supported 1440x900 for the pair of 19" lcds in use here. The task bar however remained at the 1600x ? res while the rest saw the 1440x900 take effect.

I tried unlocking the task bar as has been done previously with 7 to grow the size by widening out the task bar and it wouldn't budge a bit as another idea. That only revealed the shortcuts seen in the Quick Launch type additional tool bars added onto the main task bar as jump lists but didn't grow the icons any!

Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar [​IMG]

If you should find a solution for this I think a good number of people would love to hear about it just being one of the few annoyances the new version is bringing in with it. Too much emphasis on Tablet and a bit lacking now for the desktop is what the main problems seem to be.

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Aug 26, 2015
  6. Hammerz Win User
    Hey, Night Hawk! I marked it "solved" because of what Edwin wrote in the posting above. "Solved" in the sense that I now have bigger desktop icons on the taskbar. Still feel like we should have more control over the size of ALL the icons, though! ;-)

Thanks for weighing in, and thanks to Edwin for the "quick fix"!

Chuck

Hammerz, Aug 26, 2015
  7. Hammerz Win User
    Thanks, Edwin! Who'd have thought that it would be so simple? (Is this the way it worked in Windows 7? If so, I never used it!)

Hammerz, Aug 26, 2015
  8. Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar

That;s so ironic since I have right clicked on the task bar as well as the dual lines in between the different addon tool bars as well as the pinned items and never once saw the view option at the top. Now I can update a thread where several of us had been wondering how to go about this being dumbfounded by a simple right click option missed! Good catch! *Smile

Problem solved for not only but a good number of people! Have a look at what came out of it here!

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  9. I don't have the View option :S

Screenshot

neither the double lines

Screenshot

Is it an addon? I do have Win 10

NickieSanx, Jun 24, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    Hi @NickieSanx, welcome to tenforums! *Smile

You'll need to assign a New Toolbar first:

Edwin, Jun 24, 2017
  11. how do i assign a new toolbar?

NickieSanx, Jun 30, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 30, 2017
  13. Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar

WooooW!!!!!!!!!

Finally i was able to bring that menu thnx to you *Smile

Screenshot

But the icons are still small :S

Nothing changes when clicking on Large or Small icons.

Screenshot

Am i missing something?

Edit: The only thing that changes is the "size" of the taskbar. Even having the "enlarged" taskbar a few times more the icons won't change size.

Screenshot

NickieSanx, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar

1. Sizing disparity between App icons and desktop icons in taskbar - Similar Threads - Sizing disparity between

2. Taskbar icons size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons size: So for like a month or so after one update these taskbar icons are so big i cant even look at them. Tb stopped working and yes ive tried taskbarsi set it to 0 still they are big im running on 1280x1024 bc its just better for me while playing games and i got used to it. Icons...
  3. Taskbar icons size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons size: So for like a month or so after one update these taskbar icons are so big i cant even look at them. Tb stopped working and yes ive tried taskbarsi set it to 0 still they are big im running on 1280x1024 bc its just better for me while playing games and i got used to it. Icons...
  4. Taskbar icon size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icon size: When I first upgraded to Windows 11, the one problem I had was the size of the icons in the Taskbar. Being visually changed, they were just too small. After some digging, I found a YouTube video by Kevin Stratvert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswaXcWWCo0 , that, in five...
  5. Taskbar icon size

Taskbar icon size: When I first upgraded to Windows 11, the one problem I had was the size of the icons in the Taskbar. Being visually changed, they were just too small. After some digging, I found a YouTube video by Kevin Stratvert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswaXcWWCo0 , that, in five...
  6. Taskbar Icon size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Icon size: Is there anyway Microsoft can include a Taskbar Icon Size adjustment in the settings with an update for Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icon-size/d5e19191-fbf6-4176-ac07-8abca3fb44f1
  7. Taskbar Icon size

Taskbar Icon size: Is there anyway Microsoft can include a Taskbar Icon Size adjustment in the settings with an update for Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icon-size/d5e19191-fbf6-4176-ac07-8abca3fb44f1
  8. change size of taskbar and desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    change size of taskbar and desktop icons: The icons on my desktop icons suddenly got huge and all could not fit on the screen. Simultaneously, the taskbar icons got very small. I had not done anything intentionally to cause this. I tried clicking settings I got pressing the windows button (lower lft of screen). I...
  9. Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Icon Size: Hello everyone. I have small problem again. Is anyone know how to change the taskbar icon size? Because Windows 10 Taskbar icons looks so small too me. Here is different from Windows 10 to Windows 7. Thanks. Attachment 27697 11667
  10. Size of taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of taskbar icons: How can I enlarge my taskbar icons I can only see 30% of the icon. 57839