Windows 10: Sizzling noise when cleaning PC dust with canned air

Discus and support Sizzling noise when cleaning PC dust with canned air in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't know if this post is appropriate for this forum section but hopefully it is. Today I cleaned my PC with canned air. Hadn't cleaned it for over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zablablukas, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Sizzling noise when cleaning PC dust with canned air

I don't know if this post is appropriate for this forum section but hopefully it is. Today I cleaned my PC with canned air. Hadn't cleaned it for over a year. I opened it up, took outside and put it on a table. It wasn't too cold outside but not warm either. Then I started spraying canned air. Everything was going smoothly until I started spraying it on a part near the processor. I heard a sizzling noise. I do have to mention that I didn't give it enough time to cool off before doing this. After I was done I rigged everything back up, gave it a few minutes to go back to normal temperature and ran it. Everything does seem to be working smoothly. Though running it the first time was different. There was a different beep and I saw the "American Megathrends" screen (which I don't usually see). But running it the second and the third time was normal like always. The PC is more silent (as it should be after cleaning out the dust). Though I am still concerned about the noise. Could me being a little careless and not giving time for the PC to cool off have caused serious damage to the hardware? If you have any information about these kind of things please share it. Thank You in advance! *Smile

:)

zablablukas, Dec 31, 2016
  2. Micah Bat Win User

Crackling noise

Hi,

To better assist you regarding your concern, we would like to ask some questions:

• Is the crackling noise affecting the performance of your computer?
    • Which part of your computer do you hear the crackling noise?

There are many reasons why your computer is having a noise. It can be that your computer's fan or air vent is covered with dust. Cleaning it can help you resolve your concern. It can be that your BIOS is not updated, you can update your BIOS with the help
    of your computer's manufacturer.

We're looking forward to your response.

Micah Bat, Dec 31, 2016
  3. BTN99 Win User
    Front Facing Camera has dirt / dust particles inside lense enclosure

I had some pocket dust under the glass on my front facing camera on my Lumia 920. I bought a can of compressed air with the straw attachment that is used for cleaning electronics. A quick blast of air in the seam just above the camera cleared all the dust.
    No issues now.

BTN99, Dec 31, 2016
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Sizzling noise when cleaning PC dust with canned air

You might be holding the can at an angle and some of the propellent is escaping in liquid form. When it does it is vaporizing and making that noise. Hold the can upright.

SoFine409, Dec 31, 2016
  5. A5hm Win User
    When you cleaned the PC did you have it so the fans were not able to spin ? This I've heard can lead to a build up of static electricity.

Also did you keep the can upright when you were spraying ? Tilting it too far to a side or up side down causes the air to come out as a vapor and is very cold which i can imagine is not very good for the PC,

6. swarfega Win User
    I hope you cleaned your computer with the power off.

swarfega, Dec 31, 2016
  7. Yes I've cleaned it with the power off. As I said, I took it outside with me. Mos of the spraying was done when I was holding the canister directly above the fans. Though I did some spraying on the sides as well. The fans were able to spin when I was spraying. And yes I did tilt the can. Some rime appeared but not for long

8. swarfega Win User

Thats fine then. Usually after using a air can you should leave the computer for about 10 minutes to allow the residue to dry completely.

swarfega, Dec 31, 2016
  9. Yup I did that. So I'm safe to say that I haven't accidentally fried anything?

10. swarfega Win User
    I wouldn't have thought so. I would just sit it out for a few days. If it still makes noises then consider taking it to a repair place for a check up.

swarfega, Dec 31, 2016
  11. Okay I'll keep track of the noises then

12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Cleaning the inside of a PC should always be done with the machine OFF, power supply switched off, and power cord unplugged from the wall. You should wait about 30 minutes or more to allow all of the machines capacitors to drain power. This may seem unnecessary if you are using non-conductive methods to clean, but accidents do happen and this habit will help avoid any unpleasant surprises.

When you are cleaning a PC with compressed air, from a can particularly, it is good practice to give the PC 10 to 15 min to cool down before doing so. As SoFine49 stated, the gas in the can is in a semi-liquid form. As it escapes the can it depressurizes quickly and converts to a gaseous form. This depressurization produces a very cold gas (this is how air conditioning works), and some of that gas may still be in liquid form if there is a very short distance between nozzle and a hot surface.

The sizzling could be from liquid gas boiling off, but it could also be hot metal parts shrinking against each other as they cool down rapidly. Think of all the sounds a car engine makes when you first turn it off after a hard run.
    The danger here is that the sudden change in temperature could crack hot parts. That is why it is best practice to let everything cool down first. I always blow my rigs out before I have turned them on for the day, after sitting off and cold all night.

The part about the fans: I was shown to stick a pencil (or other non-metallic stick) in between the fan blades to stop them from spinning as you blow them out with compressed gas. The reason I was told was that the fans can act as small electric generators (motors and generators work on the same principle in reverse) sending a charge back into the motherboard. This small charge will probably not cause any damage if the PC is OFF, but why risk it?

Thema:

1. Sizzling noise when cleaning PC dust with canned air - Similar Threads - Sizzling noise cleaning

2. Phantom Dust - You could not be signed in. PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom Dust - You could not be signed in. PC: I was hoping someone might have a fix for this. After launching Phantom Dust from the .exe, Microsoft store, and Xbox app, the game reports that I "could not be singed in" and gives me the option to try again or close the game. If I "try again" the game immediately gives me...
  3. Sizzling/Buzzy noise on headphones

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sizzling/Buzzy noise on headphones: Hi, When I connect my headphones, I hear a high-pitched sizzly sound. It's not constant but it start and stops at random times. How can I fix this? The same headphones don't have this issue on any other device. My windows is updated and drivers were installed through windows...
  4. Cleaning Dust of GPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cleaning Dust of GPU: Hey all! So it's been a while since I last cleaned my GPU. I usually very careful use a vacuum cleaner to get the dust out of the fan. I know this isn't the safest option but nothing has happened yet! This time I want to do it with a air compressor to try and clean out all...
  5. Dust Clean out on HP Omen Gaming Laptop

Dust Clean out on HP Omen Gaming Laptop: Managed to get the Dust cleaned out of the fans just barely eariler, except couldn't get the cover fully off, as one darn screw refused to come out, Not sure if i had the right size screwdriver or not. For birthday coming on 21st will try to get a Toolkit if i can afford one,...
  6. Lenovo Dust Fan

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo Dust Fan: where can I find the link to download the Lenovo Dust Fan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-dust-fan/428afc22-b085-47da-9d96-cf512651c504
  7. CAN AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE BE PHYSICALLY CLEANED IF IT HAS COLLECTED DUST?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CAN AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE BE PHYSICALLY CLEANED IF IT HAS COLLECTED DUST?: First, the external hard drives that I own (one is a 1 TB) couldn't be recognized by the computer. I was overjoyed that I simply had to download a driver so that they would be recognized but by the time I asked the question (years after this issue surfaced) and was given an...
  8. PC Bugs, literally. Dust mites?

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Bugs, literally. Dust mites?: My pc runs fine generally speaking but I have bugs, literal bugs crawling on my pc *Eek There's no great infestation but I sometimes see one at a time just crawling along the top of my pc case and my monitor too. They are absolutely tiny (too small to photograph easily) and...
  9. Frequent BSOD after cleaning the dust in my laptop's fan.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSOD after cleaning the dust in my laptop's fan.: I have been getting Frequent BSOD after I blew away all the dust that was collected in my laptop's fan with an aircan to prevent overheating, (before cleaning around 50-60 celsius, after cleaning around 30-40 celsius) When ever i get BSOD is when either I am browsing...
  10. how often and how to clean out the dust on the motherboard?

how often and how to clean out the dust on the motherboard?: How often, and how to clean out the dust on the motherboard and other hardware components? 100575