Windows 10: Skype starts with boot

Discus and support Skype starts with boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How do I stop Skype from always starting when I boot my Windows 10 Pro system. I have looked in the 2 locations in the registry, in msconfig and in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nkoss, Feb 28, 2017.

1. nkoss Win User

Skype starts with boot

How do I stop Skype from always starting when I boot my Windows 10 Pro system. I have looked in the 2 locations in the registry, in msconfig and in the startup folder, but no success. Is there another place to look?

:)

nkoss, Feb 28, 2017

2. Sony Laptop Webcam not working with Skype

Hi

Started in clean boot as requested. Camera works in Skype

No changes made

Re started in normal mode. Camera works in Skype

Not sure what to do now, apart from wait until it fails again (assuming it does) and then repeat the excercise

Geoff and Sue Boud, Feb 28, 2017
  3. Skype Error: Can't start video. Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam

Hello Alina,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to place the computer in a Clean Boot
    and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. Perform a clean boot on the computer by following the steps given in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal
    startup after fixing the issue.

If it still does not help, you may rename Skype folder to Skype. Old in C:\Users\”username”\AppData\Roaming. Follow the steps mentioned below to rename the folder and then restart Skype:

a. Click Start, Type
    run, Type %appdata% and hit enter.

b. Right click on Skype Folder, click on Rename and type Skype. Old.

c. Restart Skype and check if you are able to open Skype.

Write to us with the updated status for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 28, 2017
  4. dencal Win User

Skype starts with boot

HI nkoss, welcome to forum.
    Open Skype, untick where indicated by arrow at bottom, Right click Skype on taskbar and click on Quite Skype, top indicated arrow on attachment under Skype click close.

dencal, Feb 28, 2017
  5. nkoss Win User
    My sign in does not look like that. It is separated into 2 screens, the first asks for ID and the second asks for password and neither has such a checkbox. But I did find those words on a checkbox under options. I had already unchecked "Start Skype when I start Windows" I will try unchecking the other box and see if that works. Thanks.

nkoss, Feb 28, 2017
  6. nkoss Win User
    I thought that worked, but the program was just delayed. Even though both are unchecked, it started up anyway. ARGH!!

Skype starts with boot [​IMG]

nkoss, Feb 28, 2017
  7. dencal Win User
    One other way on taskbar right click as shown and click on QUIT SKYPE

dencal, Feb 28, 2017
  8. nkoss Win User

Skype starts with boot

Dencal...That is what I am trying to avoid. I know how to close the program, but I want to prevent it from opening unless I specifically click on it.

nkoss, Mar 1, 2017
  9. dencal Win User
    Instruction post #5 does exactly what you are trying to achieve.

dencal, Mar 1, 2017
  10. nkoss Win User
    Are you referring to the one where you suggested that I Rclick on the icon on the taskbar? But by then the program has already started. I want to prevent it from ever getting to the taskbar.

nkoss, Mar 1, 2017
  11. dencal Win User
    When you open Skype not on does it appear on screen, an icon also shows on Taskbar as shown.
    Follow my earlier instruction right clicking on task bar icon, then clicking on QUIT SKYPE, this renders it inactive
    It will not start again until you click on Skype to open, then when finished again click QUIT SKYPE.
    Do this each time you finish using Skype.
    Then Skype will no longer appear on taskbar until you reopen it.

dencal, Mar 1, 2017
  12. nkoss Win User
    I don't mean to be obstinate, but I guess I'm not communicating properly. What you are suggesting is fine AFTER Skype has started. What I want to do is PREVENT Skype from starting when I do a fresh boot. Skype just doesn't seem to be following its own checkboxes that I have unchecked in the options menu.

nkoss, Mar 1, 2017
  13. dencal Win User

Skype starts with boot

Open Skype, click QUIT SKYPE.....done.

dencal, Mar 1, 2017
  14. Eagle51 Win User
    Look in 'Services' see if there is a skype or skype update entry. If so, set it manual.

Eagle51, Mar 1, 2017
  15. mrgeek Win User
    I use Skype for Desktop with an icon in the taskbar. Like you, I do not want it to start on boot. I disabled it's startup like this - Open Task Manager, then Startup tab. If Skype is there, just r-click then 'disable'.

mrgeek, Mar 2, 2017
Thema:

Skype starts with boot

1. Skype starts with boot - Similar Threads - Skype starts boot

2. skype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    skype: unable to connect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype/7ac67da8-9048-4cc2-91d7-025847dd1b82
  3. DllHost.exe combase.dll crash when start Skype

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DllHost.exe combase.dll crash when start Skype: Hi, since a few version of Skype can't say since when, when always I start Skype and check the Reliability Monitor, I get a critical alert about DllHost.exe. So when I check for Details, as I said, this happens when Skype start: [ATTACH] Skype itself is running fine....
  4. Skype

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Skype: Can you help please - Unable to open Skype on my desktop which is running windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype/53de871d-867b-4f42-82ae-ab23f3c9a3e2
  5. Skype

in Windows 10 Customization
    Skype: How to stop Skype for Business on start up even when all the boxes are unticked? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype/13c9d9d7-dfc8-4196-b308-9e0c8fecf699
  6. Skype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Skype: The Skype Icon, can not be deleted, when I am through, with it. I am supposed to be able to delete it. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype/22fd0ff1-316c-469b-8eba-af0933ee2a55"
  7. Skype no longer starts with DCOM error

Skype no longer starts with DCOM error: Whenever I try to start the Skype Windows 10 app the app closes immediately and drops the following into the System event long: The server Microsoft.SkypeApp_14.40.70.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c!App.AppX83nfr1wxf8k71mee5c2w5x6mbn0f3kng.mca did not register with DCOM within the...
  8. maps, skype, wheater and other apps start, this makes my pc to boot too slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    maps, skype, wheater and other apps start, this makes my pc to boot too slow: when I start my pc, maps, skype, wheater and other apps start, this makes my pc to boot too slow, how do I disable these apps so they don't start with my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start/bd42dda0-341f-4439-a8f9-7c5a540f267a
  9. Skype

Skype: Hello My brother has both a smart phone an an iPad but is a total non tech. Is there any way we can Skype without his having an email address. We have tried to set up an email address but it is to no avail. TY 35995
  10. Skype

Skype: Skype showed up in my Outlook.com account in Firefox and I have no use for it. Is there a way to get rid of it?? 7498