Windows 10: Skype Update: What's New...???

Discus and support Skype Update: What's New...??? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I updated Skype a few days ago and I just installed the new "Windows 10 Creator's Update" which took a long time to install. However, today... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NiceAndShy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Skype Update: What's New...???

Hi,

I updated Skype a few days ago and I just installed the new "Windows 10 Creator's Update" which took a long time to install.

However, today Skype says this:

"You already have the latest version of Skype installed.

The new version of Skype has all the great features you know and love. It's free to use and designed especially for Windows 10."

I don't want to upgrade to this version of Skype because Skype works great as it is right now.

Also, I'm worried about losing some of my privacy with the new Skype...

:)

NiceAndShy, Apr 18, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

What is skype?

Skype is video or audio chat. (as you said) I don't think it is relevant to Messenger. Windows Messenger is discontinued in Windows 10 and is effectively superseded by Skype.

neilpzz, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    What is skype?

See neilpzz's reply and let me add that you might want to read here:

Skype - Wikipedia

Ken Blake, Apr 18, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Skype Update: What's New...???

"I don't want to upgrade to this version of Skype because Skype works great as it is right now."

I think you're referring to the Windows 10 Skype Preview App vs the Windows Skype program. I only use the desktop program which works great and resides in my taskbar. The App (with the Tile) was not as good and I uninstalled so there's no confusion as to which app/program is getting connections.

To remove the Store app for current user; open powershell (admin) and try either of these two commands -
    Get-AppxPackage *SkypeApp* | Remove-AppxPackage or Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

to remove for all users -
    Get-appxpackage -allusers *SkypeApp* | Remove-AppxPackage or Get-appxpackage -allusers *Microsoft.SkypeApp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Full tutorials for other Store Apps - Uninstall Apps in Windows 10

mrgeek, Apr 18, 2017
  5. Thanks, but where can I learn about "user privacy" in the new Skype?

Maintaining my privacy is my only concern with upgrading to the newest Skype.

NiceAndShy, Apr 22, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    I'm not sure what your privacy concerns are. Here's a screenshot of the settings in Desktop Skype when you click the Tools tab at top, then Options/Privacy. Not much to set there and there are links to MS pages if you have Q's.

Skype Update: What's New...??? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Apr 22, 2017
  7. Does anyone have more information on what's new in the "Skype for Windows 10"?

I'm still using Skype version 7.40.

Thanks!

NiceAndShy, Sep 1, 2017
  8. mrgeek Win User

I'm still using Skype version 7.40.

This is up to date for the DESKTOP program. The 'Skype for Windows 10' is the Store app launched Start Menu tile or the MSN home page tab. I'm happy with the traditional, as I suspect you are too. You need not do anything then, when they try to push this on you.

mrgeek, Sep 2, 2017
  9. Thanks!

I'm just wondering what features does "Skype for Windows 10" have over what I'm using at the moment?

NiceAndShy, Sep 16, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User
    "what features does "Skype for Windows 10" have"

Just start it up from the Start Menu tile. The interface is different so it takes getting used to but there are some under the hood settings that differ. I uninstalled the App so as not to get confused with the desktop program I've been using for years.

mrgeek, Sep 16, 2017
  11. Your reply is appreciated!

I use Skype for calls more than my cellphone or homephone so I just want to get a better idea of what's different.

Anyone have more information about the new Skype?

EDIT:

I can't find a list of differences between the "classic" Skype that I'm currently using and the new Skype??

NiceAndShy, Sep 22, 2017
  12. I'm still running "Classic Skype".

I just want to know the differences between "Classic Skype" and "Skype for Windows 10"?

NiceAndShy, Oct 30, 2017
  13. Skype Update: What's New...???

Does anyone know if it's possible for a Skype contact to know if you're actually at your PC or not?

Has this been changed in the new Skype?

NiceAndShy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Skype Update: What's New...??? - Similar Threads - Skype Update What's

2. New Skype Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Skype Update: There was a new update earlier and my computer automatically download it. I always use video call with the computer camera, and it always let me use it before todays update. Now that i havet his update, it says that the camera isnt available like it doesnt recognize it. Is...
  3. What is new in Skype for Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    What is new in Skype for Windows 10 PCs: If it’s been a minute since you’ve used Skype, there are several new features that have come out since the Windows 10 October 2018 Update: background blurring, OneDrive integration and live captions and subtitles. Background blur Did you ever video chat on Skype and the...
  4. new Skype OS

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    new Skype OS: Tired of windows over engineering, over complicating their system and ultimately making their OS just about as useful and user-friendly as an ashtray on a motorbike. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-skype-os/64d96261-ac5f-4971-a9da-52614c56f47f"
  5. SKYPE NEW VERSION

in Windows 10 Customization
    SKYPE NEW VERSION: Hello, after the upgrade to the latest skype version, i cant open the application. It just stays for hours on the loading screen. I tried to reinstall it several times, but its always the same. Btw i have windows 10...
  6. New update for SKYPE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New update for SKYPE: Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I just found out that a new update for Skype is released. Version is 7.17.0.104 if anyone is interested. 33907
  7. Skype New Version

Skype New Version: New Version of Skype Available Version 7.18.0.112 41678
  8. New Version of Skype

New Version of Skype: New Version of Skype available to download Version 7.18.0.111 39971
  9. What’s new in Skype for Business and take control of updates

in Windows 10 News
    What’s new in Skype for Business and take control of updates: With April’s Office update, Lync will become Skype for Business, with a new user interface (UI) in the Windows desktop application. On today’s show, we take a look the new Skype for Business desktop application for Windows. BJ Haberkorn joins Jeremy Chapman to demonstrate...
  10. What’s new in Skype for Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    What’s new in Skype for Windows 10 PCs: Today, the new features we announced last month for the latest version of Skype for Windows 10 are beginning to roll out! Let’s take a look at what’s new. Grab a cup of coffee and catch up on what you’ve missed by clicking the bell icon to access your notification panel....