Windows 10: Sleep Computer in Windows 10

Discus and support Sleep Computer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Sleep Computer in Windows 10 How to Put Your Computer to Sleep in Windows 10 Sleep uses very little power, your PC starts up faster, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by josephkarthic, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Sleep Computer in Windows 10

How to: Sleep Computer in Windows 10

How to Put Your Computer to Sleep in Windows 10

Sleep uses very little power, your PC starts up faster, and youre instantly back to where you left off. You dont have to worry that you'll lose your work because of your battery draining because Windows automatically saves all your work and turns off the PC if the battery is too low. Use sleep when youre going to be away from your PC for just a little while like when youre taking a coffee break.

For a lot of PCs (especially laptops and tablets), your PC goes to sleep when you close your lid or press the power button.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to put your local Windows 10 PC to sleep.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Sleep Computer from Start Menu
    1. Open the *Start Start menu, click/tap on the
    Sleep Computer in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Power button, and click/tap on Sleep. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Sleep Computer from Win+X Quick Link Menu
    1. Open the Win+X Quick Link menu, click/tap on Shut down or sign out, and click/tap on Sleep. (see screenshot below)

OR

2. Press the Win+X keys, press U, and press S.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Sleep Computer from Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows Dialog
    1. Click/tap on your desktop to make it the current focused (active) window, and press the Alt+F4 keys.

2. Select Sleep in the drop down menu, and click/tap on OK or press Enter. (see screenshots below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Sleep Computer from Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen
    1. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, click/tap on the
    Power button, and click/tap on Sleep. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Sleep Computer from Sign-in Screen
    1. While on the sign-in screen, click/tap on the Attachment 22614 Power button, and click/tap on Sleep. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] To Change PC Sleep After in Power Options

*noteThis option is to specify how long in minutes your PC will wait with no user activity before automatically sleeping.
    1. Open your Power Options.

2. Expand open Sleep and Sleep after, specify either never sleep or how many minutes to sleep after, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Sleep Computer using Power Buttons and Lid

*note This option is to specify what your computer does when you close the lid and/or press the power buttons.
    1. Open your Power Options.

2. Expand open Power buttons and lid, specify what action (ex: Sleep) you want for Sleep button action, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION EIGHT [/i] To Change PC Sleep After in Settings

*note This option is to specify how long in minutes your PC will wait with no user activity before automatically sleeping.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Power & sleep on the left side, and select what you want in the on battery and plugged in drop down menus for Sleep on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

josephkarthic, Dec 1, 2015
  2. Onatam Win User

need to change Fx keyboard key

@Shdw_ careful with binding F4 to anything as ALT + F4 is universal for force closing an application. Not so great when you're in the middle of a game.

Disabling extra media functions of a keyboard typically comes down to drivers provided by the keyboard manufacturer. By default F4 doesn't initiate sleep, is it safe to assume that you are on a laptop keyboard? If so disable the hotkey in their software.

Here are the default methods in Windows 10 to put your computer to sleep:

Option One: To Sleep Computer from Start Menu

[*]Option Two: To Sleep Computer from Win+X Power User Tasks Menu
    [*]Option Three: To Sleep Computer from Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows Dialog
    [*]Option Four: To Sleep Computer from Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen
    [*]Option Five: To Sleep Computer from Sign-in Screen
    [*]Option Six: To Sleep Computer in Power Options
    [*]Option Seven: To Sleep Computer from Power Buttons and Lid

Onatam, Dec 1, 2015
  3. RyanFrisk Win User
    Windows 10 will not wake up once it has gone into sleep mode!

I downloaded Windows 10 from having Windows 7. Once the computer enters sleep mode, nothing brings the computer out of sleep mode since I downloaded Windows 10.

How do you fix the problem? I have to hold down the power button and reboot it every time it goes into sleep mode.

RyanFrisk, Dec 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sleep Computer in Windows 10

Hello Joseph, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The computer should be considered active while downloading, and prevent it from going to sleep by default.

Brink, Dec 1, 2015
  5. Not sure what you mean by that, But even when im downloading if my sleep time is set to say 3 minutes its going to sleep and my download is interrupted..

So I found a tool called "Dont sleep" and it fixed what I was looking for..This tool is useful especially for tablets where the sleep time is always shorter to preserve battery..

josephkarthic, Dec 1, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad to hear you got it sorted. *Smile

Brink, Dec 1, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    An interesting video at msdn's channel 9 Defrag Tools#168: Defrag Tools #168 - Powercfg Sleep Study Channel 9

See also:

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleep Computer in Windows 10

1. Sleep Computer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sleep Computer

2. Microsoft edge ALWAYS opens itself when I wake my computer up from sleep. NOT when I power...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft edge ALWAYS opens itself when I wake my computer up from sleep. NOT when I power...: I have "windows spotlight" turned off and I have rigorously checked the setting of the edge browser as well as the settings on my computer which is currently running windows 11. I use Firefox and have ZERO INTEREST in using edge for anything....
  3. Microsoft edge ALWAYS opens itself when I wake my computer up from sleep. NOT when I power...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft edge ALWAYS opens itself when I wake my computer up from sleep. NOT when I power...: I have "windows spotlight" turned off and I have rigorously checked the setting of the edge browser as well as the settings on my computer which is currently running windows 11. I use Firefox and have ZERO INTEREST in using edge for anything....
  4. Why does my computer shut down when I put it to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does my computer shut down when I put it to sleep?: It wasn't like that, until my mouse and keyboard just suddenly stopped working. I had to manually hold the power button to forcefully shut it down, but after that, no matter what I do to put it to sleep as I always do closing the lid, putting it to sleep through the power...
  5. Why does my computer shut down when I put it to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer shut down when I put it to sleep?: It wasn't like that, until my mouse and keyboard just suddenly stopped working. I had to manually hold the power button to forcefully shut it down, but after that, no matter what I do to put it to sleep as I always do closing the lid, putting it to sleep through the power...
  6. Why does my computer shut down when I put it to sleep?

7. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck when resuming from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck when resuming from sleep.: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000010e 0x0000000000000033, 0xffffd783039efc70, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: f040e80b-31a6-44e0-8bcb-a9a034214d57.My PC has recently crashed a few...
  8. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck when resuming from sleep.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck when resuming from sleep.: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000010e 0x0000000000000033, 0xffffd783039efc70, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: f040e80b-31a6-44e0-8bcb-a9a034214d57.My PC has recently crashed a few...
  9. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck when resuming from sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  10. Microsoft Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse Dongle Still Prevents Computer from Sleeping

Microsoft Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse Dongle Still Prevents Computer from Sleeping: In reference to this thread Microsoft wireless 4000 mouse prevents auto sleep in Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Community, I can confirm that it still happens with all latest updates with the Sculpt Ergonomic Comfort.I spent a lot of time to figure out because there was no problem...