Windows 10: Sleep Issue. Falls asleep at random.

Discus and support Sleep Issue. Falls asleep at random. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, it's set to NEVER sleep (unless I tell it to), but persistently falls asleep randomly - sometimes it will run for hours, other times it will sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wenda, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Wenda Win User

Sleep Issue. Falls asleep at random.

So, it's set to NEVER sleep (unless I tell it to), but persistently falls asleep randomly - sometimes it will run for hours, other times it will sleep if you turn your back on it for 5 minutes.

It gets rather annoying after a very short time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

:)

Wenda, Mar 2, 2018
  2. D_Watson Win User

Problem getting my computer to sleep after upgrading to Windows 10

I have both a laptop and a desktop that will no longer fall asleep on their own since the Win10 upgrade. I can put them to sleep. They both wake up fine. But they won't fall asleep on their own. Both were falling asleep as expected under Win 8.1. Troubleshooter
    finds nothing wrong. Very annoying.

D_Watson, Mar 2, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Falls Asleep Despite "Never" Sleep Settings

This did not fix the issue.

I since installed a program called "Don't Sleep" and it keeps the computer awake. But without that program, Windows will fall asleep on its own.

ClaytonInHouston, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Sleep Issue. Falls asleep at random.

Hi Wenda

Check the Battery heading in Advance Power settings. There are settings within this that determine how the machine should react to battery events, (critical and low power), one option is "Sleep".

Caledon Ken, Mar 4, 2018
  5. Are you sure it's "SLEEPING" after 5 minutes?
    Most laptops have a power setting that turns off the display after a period of time (to conserve the battery).
    The timer starts when you're not using either keyboard or mouse.

So ... does your computer display come back on as soon as you press a key or move the mouse?

margrave55, Mar 5, 2018
  6. Wenda Win User
    All set to never turn off the display.

Hasn't been an issue until fairly recently.

Sometimes it will run unattended for hours - other times I'll go to make a coffee and it's in snooze-land by the time I get back.

Wenda, Mar 18, 2018
  7. Did you try stuff in posting #2

Caledon Ken, Mar 18, 2018
  8. Sleep Issue. Falls asleep at random.

Try the following and see if it provides clues on what is causing it to sleep. Let me know if you have any questions.

Logging power events with Event viewer. (Event 1 for Wake, 42 Sleep)

1. Press and hold the Windows Key + R
    2. Type eventvwr.msc in Run box to open Event Viewer
    3. Expand Windows Logs
    4. Right-click on the System event log
    5. Choose Filter Current Log from the menu
    • Type 42 in the <All Event IDs> text box
    • Select Kernel-Power and Power-Troubleshooter then click OK
    5. This will display all the Shutdown Events
    6. Look under the General tab on the window below for each issue

Techjourney, Mar 21, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    If the computer still needs troubleshooting perform the following trial and error steps:

1) open control panel > large or small icons > click troubleshooting > run the power troubleshooter > post into the thread any result that displayed fixed or any result that was unable to be fixed.

2) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    powercfg.exe /hibernate off
    Check the computer's sleep and wake

3) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    powercfg.exe /hibernate on
    Check the computer's sleep and wake

Report the results for each of the above into the thread.
    Make sure that when all troubleshooting steps have been completed that hibernation remains on(this was only for testing purposes)

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleep Issue. Falls asleep at random.

1. Sleep Issue. Falls asleep at random. - Similar Threads - Sleep Issue Falls

2. PC will not turn on after falling asleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not turn on after falling asleep: I step away from my PC a lot and leave it running, and then it falls asleep. Recently, I come back to wake it up and nothing happens. The lights on the tower come on, and I can hear the fans running, so there is power. But nothing else happens. Monitor is completely black,...
  3. PC will not turn on after falling asleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC will not turn on after falling asleep: I step away from my PC a lot and leave it running, and then it falls asleep. Recently, I come back to wake it up and nothing happens. The lights on the tower come on, and I can hear the fans running, so there is power. But nothing else happens. Monitor is completely black,...
  4. PC will not turn on after falling asleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Falls Asleep Despite "Never" Sleep Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Falls Asleep Despite "Never" Sleep Settings: The ONLY WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IS TO UN-INSTALL THE OPTIONAL SEPTEMBER UPDATE WHICH CAUSED IT. DOING JUST THAT FIXES IT IMMEDIATEL;Y EVEN BEFORE ANY REBOOT....
  6. Monitor falling asleep while playing games

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor falling asleep while playing games: I know exactly what caused the issue and it occurs for only one program that engages my dgpu. Other games and applications don't do this. It only started when I manually added the program in question to the list of customizable programs on nvidia control panel. The game is...
  7. Windows 10 falls asleep randomly, sometimes after a couple of hours of inactivity and...

Windows 10 falls asleep randomly, sometimes after a couple of hours of inactivity and...: Similar questions have been asked before without any solution. So, BEFORE ANSWERING, please avoid any common ordinary answers and please note: 1) Windows is already updated to the latest version (1903). 2) All power saving settings are already checked. 3) Task scheduler...
  8. computer falls asleep

computer falls asleep: OK....there are thousands and thousands of posts dating back at least 4 years about computers going into sleep mode (if this is what it is) after a few minutes of user inactivity in spite of the power settings and screen saver settings being set for longer times. AND THERE...
  9. falling a sleep

falling a sleep: My computer keeps falling a sleep why? I have it set on NEVER but I have to sign in every 5 minutes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/falling-a-sleep/de29a3fe-6c70-461c-ad90-a1eeafaddb76"
  10. HP Envy/Windows 10 randomly falls asleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP Envy/Windows 10 randomly falls asleep: I have a new HP Envy with windows 10, computer has started to randomly fall asleep, I have changed the setting I can find, but that has not helped...