Windows 10: Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint)

Discus and support Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I recently re-installed Windows 10 on my laptop, and just after, I installed Linux Mint (Main Page - Linux Mint). Then, I had Grub... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vinsse2001, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint)

Hello all,
    I recently re-installed Windows 10 on my laptop, and just after, I installed Linux Mint (Main Page - Linux Mint).
    Then, I had Grub 2.02beta2 to start either LM or Win, it works, but ...... if on Windows, I choose extend sleep mode (or classic sleep mode), my computer of course shut down, but when I restart it and choose Windows (to come back and find my last applications opened), it does'nt work. It is like I cut electricity and all is wrong.

I always have a message from windows asking if it needs to check disk, and then, when I open my session, all applications are closed "with error" (when I restart Chrome, it says that does'nt shut down correctly, same with Word or others...).Anyone have an idea of some parameter to adjust ?With Ubuntu, it worked, but not with LM... Thanks !Vincent

:)

vinsse2001, Sep 6, 2017

2. Windows 10

This is a common issue with Linux/Windows dual boots.

The most common fix is to boot up Linux, then in the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) run the sudo update-grub command. A more extensive guide on how to do this can be found by following the link below.

https://www.pcsteps.com/1053-change-grub-boot-o...

AmberRiley, Sep 6, 2017
  3. ss_bl Win User
    Hibernate problem on win 10

Hi,

I have problem with hibernate on windows 10.

The problem is "back from hibernate", when i press power, it's just boot to fresh startup, and
    all of my apps gone.

I updated to windows 10 from windows 8.1.

Sleep mode works fine.

All my drivers are updated.

This started since i install Mint 17.3 in dual boot.

I installed GRUB on mint's partition and i using uefi bios.

i am using grub to choose systems on startup.

My laptop ASUS X55C https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X55C/

ss_bl, Sep 6, 2017
  4. Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint)

For information, I saw that when I desactivate extend sleep mode, classic sleep mode is ok.

So the problem is :

how to activate extend sleep mode when we have dual boot (grub) ?

windows (cmd in admin mode) :
    Code: powercfg -h on[/quote] But I think I need another parameter(s) to change, so as to extend sleep mode is ok.
    Thanks for help !

vinsse2001, Sep 10, 2017
  5. 91fw Win User
    I'm not familiar with "extended sleep mode". No such on my power settings.
    That said, my experience with dual boot via linux grub2 (on mint) should never be used with hibernation on, nor with fast startup, since both will lead to some corruption and frequent need for diskchk when you come out of standby.
    Both mint and windows sleep and come out just fine. Just make sure to not click Hibernate button on Mint's Quit menu. There's a way to disable that button. If you need it, I'll dig it out.

See 4th post here:
    Hibernation with dualboot - Windows 7 Help Forums
    also
    File system interoperability in multiple boot environments. CHKSDSK - Microsoft Community
    and
    The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode

6. My question is : how to use Windows 10 hibernation when you have dual boot with grub ?
    (because I found very usefull hibernation *Smile)

I looked at your links, I searched on others forums, but I didn't find any solution actually...

vinsse2001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint)

1. Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint) - Similar Threads - Sleep mode doesn't

2. Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...: Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint. Removed Linux partition before uninstalling Grub. Screen showing GNU GRUB version 2.06. Don't know what to do....
  3. Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...: Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint. Removed Linux partition before uninstalling Grub. Screen showing GNU GRUB version 2.06. Don't know what to do....
  4. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  5. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  6. Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint

Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint: System: 2 internal SATA hard drives Windows 10 Home 1909 on HD0 / Windows 7 on HD1 BIOS/MBR boot (boot order CD, HD0, USB, HD1) OS installs on dedicated partitions bootloader on HD0 (Win10) I want to install Linux Mint to HD1 to replace Windows 7. Basic steps AFAIK: create...
  7. Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint

Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint: I am kinda stuck here.I installed windows10on an old dell desktop.Also decided to dualboot with Linux Mint so I could play around.Anyway,my grandson would like the computer so I deleted the linux partition.Now when I boot up or restart is shows GNU GRUB 2.4 and then a...
  8. Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.: I have just installed linux mint alongside windows 10. Afterwards when i try to hibernate windows 10 it just brings me back to the logon screen. How am i able to hibernate windows 10 again?...
  9. Linux Mint Boot Manager (GRUB) Disappeared After Installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Linux Mint Boot Manager (GRUB) Disappeared After Installing Windows 10: Linux Mint was installed on Drive D. Windows 7 Was on Drive C. It was a dual booting machine. Then I installed Windows 10 on Windows 7. Deleted and formated C Drive. And when booted I have found only Windows 10 boot manager. Even though D drive remains good but Linux Mint...
  10. change dual boot order windows 10 and linux mint

in Windows 10 Customization
    change dual boot order windows 10 and linux mint: how do i make windows 10 default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-dual-boot-order-windows-10-and-linux-mint/e68b3b6e-18b8-4fd9-9407-9d2bd94c3f37

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com

2. dell inspiron sleep issue linux dual boot