Windows 10: Sleep Mode No longer works

Discus and support Sleep Mode No longer works in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 Sleep Mode started to work as it should. Great. Loved the new feature. Then a few days ago I noticed that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rhogg4859, Aug 10, 2016.

1. rhogg4859 Win User

Sleep Mode No longer works

After upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 Sleep Mode started to work as it should. Great. Loved the new feature.

Then a few days ago I noticed that the computer was not going into sleep mode after the 20 minutes. When I manually select sleep the computer attempts to go into sleep mode but two seconds later it comes back out of it.

For whatever reason it now reports the Power Button as the reason and no I have not touched it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 1
    Wake Source [0]
    Type: Fixed Feature
    Power Button

The only thing that has changed recently that I can think off is there was a automatic AMD drivers update.

Looking further back in the event log I can only see the Power Button as the reason for coming out of low power mode and not the actual reason which is the mouse moving as the trigger I have used. And it was way back as 24/6 that S4 Doze to Hibernate was last seen.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers
    Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume12\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 02:29:29 on 12/08/2016.
    Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

What other tools are there available to help diagnose the solution to this problem? I have run the trouble shooting which of course found nothing.

:)

rhogg4859, Aug 10, 2016
  2. lsmc1317 Win User

Cannot put computer in Sleep Mode and network shuts off after rebooting system

I have a 6 year old Dell XPS and in the past month the sleep mode no longer works. Instead of going into sleep mode the computer just shuts down. I've turned off the sleep mode but then after about an hour my NIC card stops working and I have to reboot
    to get everything working again. Thoughts? Nothing has changed in the past month except for Windows updates!

Sleep mode no longer works- Original Title

lsmc1317, Aug 10, 2016
  3. win 10 sleepmode does not work

My windows 10 sleep mode no longer works -- HELP!

RitaTestin, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try looking in the event log:
    event ID 1 in System log from source Power-Troubleshooter for computer wake,

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  5. rhogg4859 Win User
    Sorry did you not read my post, "Looking further back in the event log I can only see the Power Button as the reason for coming out of low power mode and not the actual reason which is the mouse moving as the trigger I have used. And it was way back as 24/6 that S4 Doze to Hibernate was last seen."

rhogg4859, Aug 10, 2016
  6. corkscrew Win User
    Do you have the Latest Graphics drivers installed for your GPU?
    I had an issue when I closed my laptop lid for the pc to go into sleep and when I opened it again it didn't wake from sleep. Just got flashing screen. Downloaded latest gpu driver and the problem was fixed. As far as I can see, the gpu driver works with the sleep and hibernation functions.

corkscrew, Aug 11, 2016
  7. rhogg4859 Win User
    Yes and in fact it was the latest update that I am suspicious of.

I have also found that it is related to something we have looked at on Firefox. Maybe somehow a timer is left around that is causing the problem. This is going to very difficult to track down.

rhogg4859, Aug 11, 2016
  8. corkscrew Win User

Try installing an older gpu driver. I have found some of the latest drivers not to be very stable at times ie beta drivers.

corkscrew, Aug 11, 2016
  9. rhogg4859 Win User
    I stopped all my current applications and sleep mode started working again. Great.

Well I thought things were great but after a couple of days it stopped working again. I tried stopping each application one at a time that was running and trying to enter sleep mode and it didn't fix it. I rebooted and after startup had finished rattling the hard drive I tried sleep mode and it is still not working.

The event log's entries for Power-Troubleshooter are not very helpful. Is it possible to turn on some more debugging?

rhogg4859, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sleep Mode No longer works - Similar Threads - Sleep Mode longer

2. sleep mode is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sleep mode is not working: sleep mode is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-is-not-working/8663819a-6358-4b00-a159-a6cfb66fe6cd
  3. Sleep mode not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode not working: My newish Win 11 laptop will no longer go into sleep mode after 5 minutes like it is supposed to. I have fiddled with the power settings to no avail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-not-working/673ddd28-ca89-4d2c-b8dc-fca82234cd63
  4. Sleep mode not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode not working: My newish Win 11 laptop will no longer go into sleep mode after 5 minutes like it is supposed to. I have fiddled with the power settings to no avail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-not-working/673ddd28-ca89-4d2c-b8dc-fca82234cd63
  5. windows sleep mode no longer working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows sleep mode no longer working: Is anyone else having problems with windows sleep mode. I manually set it to sleep but it snaps back on after going to sleep for a few minutes. Nothing is running when it tries to sleep and both system and monitor wake up. I am running windows 10 build 18363.959...
  6. SLEEP MODE NOT WORKING..IF

SLEEP MODE NOT WORKING..IF: after the 1909 update,my HP laptop sleep mode is not working.In sleep mode,my power button light is on and system will shut down.With the help of HP support forum,i checked for file errors using Microsoft tool in command mode and corrected it .It worked for a while and...
  7. Sleep mode not working

Sleep mode not working: Since the time I upgraded my windows 10 to 1909 I cant wake my pc from sleep mode. I have to force shutdown my pc if I want to use it again. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks...
  8. Sleep mode not working

Sleep mode not working: The problem: I have a Logitech K200 keyboard USB that since the 2004 update the sleep function key no longer works it reboots the machine. Looking in the Power Settings area shows no entries where the keyboard is mentioned....
  9. Sleep mode is not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep mode is not working: Hi all, Can someone explain to me why Sleep doesn't put the PC properly to sleep? I'd decide to put mine to sleep and then just randomly, some minutes later it'll just wake up on its own. Defuq is going on here? submitted by /u/KingAnnO [link] [comments]...
  10. Sleep mode not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode not working: A week ago stopped working from my normal 3 minute setting. The screen turns off after 3 min, pc remains on, but I have to push the start/shut off button to get the monitor on again. Can't think of what software I might have added that could cause this. My Phoenix BIOS...