Windows 10: Sleep mode suffers from insomnia

Discus and support Sleep mode suffers from insomnia in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sleep mode suffers from insomnia. Please see attached Snippet showing my power options relating to Win 10 sleep. When I hit the sleep key on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trapper, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Trapper Win User

Sleep mode suffers from insomnia

Sleep mode suffers from insomnia.
    Please see attached Snippet showing my power options relating to Win 10 sleep.
    When I hit the sleep key on the keyboard, or the Power - Sleep from the drop down menu or the same from the desktop, the PC shuts down, the fans stop. 9 times out 10 about 5 seconds later the fans resume and the logon screen appears, activate sleep again and the cycle is repeated.
    ANY suggestions what may be causing this, it's driving me bonkers. I've not used Hibernate and that option does not appear on my menus. Don't know if that would help or not. I am not using SSD only SATA drives.

Sleep mode suffers from insomnia [​IMG]

:)

Trapper, Feb 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 computer wakes up automatically from sleep mode.

Original Title:

At night when I finish using the computer I put it into sleep mode.

Every morning, before I have even touched it the screen/computer is on and the desktop is displayed. Why is the damn thing not staying asleep. Has it got insomnia or something, or have I just set it up wrong.

JohnStephensonPG, Feb 11, 2017
  3. grschinon Win User
    N73 flashing blue light

JFTR, that will switch sleep mode off, not just the blue light. This means that your battery life will suffer considerably if your phone never enters sleep mode.

grschinon, Feb 11, 2017
  4. Sleep mode suffers from insomnia

Hi Trapper

when it wakes up issue this command at command prompt(admin)

powercfg -lastwake

This will tell you what device issued the wake up. See if there is a pattern. From there you can start to search solutions.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 11, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    To add Hibernate to your Start's Power menu, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options and click on 'Choose what the power button does'. Here you can click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable', tick 'Hibernate, Show in Power menu' then save changes.

6. Trapper Win User
    Hi Ken.
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    Not a lot to go on! *Sad
    I hit sleep and it took all of 2 seconds to return to logon screen.

Quote:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    Unquote.

I will try it a few more time to see if I get a clue what may be causing it. IS there a way to log the last say, 10 wake ups?

Will activate Hibernate, thanks for the tip Bree.*Smile

Trapper, Feb 11, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    It will be recorded in the Event Log. Open the Event Viewer and look at Windows logs>System. Source: Kernel-Power, event ID 107 will show 'The system has resumed from sleep' and Power-Troubleshooter, event ID 1 will show the 'Wake Source'. Other events around the same time may give a clue to what's going on.

8. DavidE Win User

DavidE, Feb 11, 2017
  9. Trapper Win User
    Well, checked the event log as suggested, there a lots of entering and leaving sleep mode entries,the troubleshooter logs all report source-unknown!
    I have copied one entry as below:
    EventData SleepTime 2017-02-12T16:58:43.308139300Z WakeTime 2017-02-12T17:00:23.507720300Z SleepDuration 9537 WakeDuration 1015 DriverInitDuration 950 BiosInitDuration 1677 HiberWriteDuration 7617 HiberReadDuration 0 HiberPagesWritten 264412 Attributes 16401 TargetState 4 EffectiveState 5 WakeSourceType 0 WakeSourceTextLength 0 WakeSourceText WakeTimerOwnerLength 0 WakeTimerContextLength 0 NoMultiStageResumeReason 0 WakeTimerOwner WakeTimerContext Other log reports:
    The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎12T16:58:43.308139300Z
    Wake Time: ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎12T17:00:23.507720300Z

Wake Source: Unknown

I also see a lot of these entries around the same time:

Mbamchameleon Failed to obtain file name information - C01C0005

and:
    The system time has changed to ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎12T17:06:31.500000000Z from ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎12T17:06:16.600374900Z.

Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.
    EventData NewTime 2017-02-12T17:06:31.500000000Z OldTime 2017-02-12T17:06:16.600374900Z Reason 2
    Also:
    The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: Button or Lid (Time shown as 17:06:15)

Then:

The system has resumed from sleep (Time shown as 17:06:16, same time as the changed time noted above)

Any help?

Trapper, Feb 11, 2017
  10. Hi Trapper.

Looks like it may be that Malwarebytes is stuck on a file that it doesn't know what to do with. It is calling home and failing to get results from a file that it is trying to get information on.

At least that's what I "think" is going on. Maybe head on over to the Malwarebytes forums and let them know what you found here. Maybe they can help.

Snarks*Cool

SnarkyTwit, Feb 11, 2017
  11. Trapper Win User
    Hi Snarks *Cool

Had a look at the Mbam forum as suggested, similar reported problems resulted in the following suggestion:

I did that and tried it just now, PC went to sleep for about 30 seconds so I woke it up, 30 seconds is an Olympic record for this PC!
    I will try it for a couple of days to see if it remains behaving itself. I use Bitdefender TS 2017 along with Mbam and have done so for a long time without this problem. Not sure why this has started unless there was a conflict with an update last year. Anyway, fingers crossed!

Trapper, Feb 12, 2017
  12. Glad I could help Trapper!

Snarks*Cool

SnarkyTwit, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sleep mode suffers from insomnia - Similar Threads - Sleep mode suffers

2. laptop not opening from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop not opening from sleep mode: I put my laptop on sleep mode, and for some reason, it won't open back up again from sleep mode. I need to turn it off and turn it back on again. How to fix this?...
  3. Laptop Not Starting from Sleep Mode

Laptop Not Starting from Sleep Mode: Hello,My Laptop is not starting after putting it on Sleep Mode. I have to shut it down with the power key and then start it again.This is not possible every time to shut down and start, so please help.Laptop is Windows 10.Thanks...
  4. Windows 10 insomnia

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 insomnia: My pc has had insomnia for the past few weeks and ive been fed up with it. Found a solution today that my ethernet port was apparently the culprit. The fix: device manager>network adapters>intel(r) 82578dm gigabit network connection>properties>power management> (untick) wake...
  5. Waking from sleep mode.

Waking from sleep mode.: After a Windows 10 update four days ago, my desktop computer won't wake up after going into sleep mode. The only way I have been able to cope with this is to unplug the power for several seconds. How can I fix the problem so that touching the keyboard or mouse will wake up...
  6. Recovery from the sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery from the sleep mode: Win7 allowed (1) Fn+F4 to sleep and (2) Fn to recover to the exact screen settings before the sleep. But Win10 allows only (1), and (2) shows no response, and the system has to be restarted to recreate everything anew. Is there any method to restore the Win7 convenience? 147942
  7. insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues): i've had an HP G5 255 laptop for work for years. mine worked fine. no issues. then it got stolen out of a rental car in san jose. now i'm using a former coworker's G5 255 -- purchased at the same time as my old system. i didn't reformat it or anything because it has our...
  8. Wake up from sleep mode

Wake up from sleep mode: Using a Acer desktop with the latest version of Windows 10. My monitor will not wake from the sleep mode. Montior is a HP w17e. Pc is set to sleep after 20 minutes and monitor is set to never sleep but goes to sleep when PC does. PC will wake just fine but monitor will...
  9. Not wake up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Not wake up from sleep mode: My box does not wake up from "sleep" mode. I tried wake-up with keyboard and power button, but not worked. The psecs of my box is here; OS: windows 10 pro x64 CPU: i7-920 Motherboard: Asus P5X58D Premium Memory: G Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ 2G x 6 Graphics Card(s): Nvidia...
  10. Insomnia

in Windows 10 Support
    Insomnia: Computer suffers from insomnia. Computer (Desktop, Win 10 Pro) will not go to sleep although i did change the settings on the power profiles, used various power profiles, created a new one etc... Also the screen will not suspend ever after the given time of non-use. The...