Windows 10: Sleep Problems - Strange wake up behaviors

Discus and support Sleep Problems - Strange wake up behaviors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have recently installed a new motherboard (and fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64) and have been having strange sleep behavior since. My computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Onibot, May 15, 2016.

1. Onibot Win User

Sleep Problems - Strange wake up behaviors

So I have recently installed a new motherboard (and fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64) and have been having strange sleep behavior since. My computer is set to go to sleep after 1hr and my keyboard/mouse fail to wake the computer back up and seem to be not receiving power in general. So when I press the power button on my tower, the fans start up, etc, but my monitors don't wake up, my KB and mouse still do not receive power and are unresponsive.

To get my computer to wake back up, I have to hold the power button down until my computer "turns off" and when I power the computer back on, it boots back up into Windows as if it were coming out of sleep, and not a fresh boot (all of my processes/programs are still running, etc.)

At first I thought this was a BIOS issue, but I have tweaked BIOS settings and cannot seem to get anything to work, and so I feel like maybe it's a setting in power-saver, etc.

For reference, my motherboard is an MSI Z170A M3 (1151). I can see that there are a ton of sleep-related issues with Windows 10, but couldn't find a thread specifically pertaining to my issue.

Thanks!

:)

Onibot, May 15, 2016

2. W10 Start menu always up on waking from sleep

The Question is "W10 Start Menu always up upon waking from sleep"

As someone else said: "Every time my computer wakes up from sleeping, the start menu is showing, which is really
    annoying."

GearWorld's reply doesn't address the issue at all.

Is there an answer or is Windows 10 incapable of that simple behavior?

LeeMenningen, May 15, 2016
  3. TomHaws Win User
    Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while

When I put Windows 10 to sleep, then wake it up within a few minutes, it wakes up promptly as expected after a sleep. And it wakes up if I tap my keyboard, which also is expected.

But if I come back to wake the computer after a long time, it appears to have settled into hibernation.

1. The keyboard will not wake it up. I have to press the power button.

2. The manufacturer startup screen is displayed like on hibernation resume, and the resumption takes a long time sometimes.

Why does sleep turn into hibernation? Can I stop this behavior? All of the above happens while my Dell laptop is plugged in continuously.

Tom

TomHaws, May 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Try turning fast startup off. Might be relevant.

dalchina, May 15, 2016
  5. Onibot Win User
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion! I went into my BIOS and neither "MSI Fast Boot" or "Fast Boot" were enabled. I took a few pictures of the BIOS config and of the power-related options, and attached them below.

Sleep Problems - Strange wake up behaviors [​IMG]

Onibot, May 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, er-- sorry, not thinking of your BIOS - this one - people sometimes find problems with some devices with this enabled (see bottom):

dalchina, May 15, 2016
  7. Onibot Win User
    Oh, my bad. It doesn't look like I have a fast boot option in my system settings.

Onibot, May 15, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

You need to click ..... are currently unavailable.

dalchina, May 15, 2016
  9. Onibot Win User
    Right, all that does is allow me to edit the grayed out "sleep" and "shutdown" checkbox options under "Shutdown Settings", and does not reveal any additional hidden settings.

EDIT: Although the fast boot option doesn't appear in the system settings, I was able to locate it's supposed registery key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power. It was enabled, and after disabling it, I tried waking up from sleep and it didn't seem to fix it.

Source

Onibot, May 15, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ah, ok, you haven't enabled hibernation, which reserves the disk space- which means you don't see the option so it can't be that that's causing the problem. QED.

There's a similar thread here, no definitive solution:
    Computer won't wake up from sleep - Windows 10 Forums

Best search the forum and look for solved threads on sleep. Sorry can't help more..

As for your devices that won't wake your PC, they need to have a Power Management tab in their driver Properties (in Device Manager) to be able to wake the PC.

Try this to list all devices that can wake your PC from a command prompt
    POWERCFG /DEVICEQUERY wake_programmable
    and
    POWERCFG /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed
    to find currently enabled devices

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sleep Problems - Strange wake up behaviors - Similar Threads - Sleep Problems Strange

2. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  3. Strange behavior - Will no longer wake from sleep after reinstall of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange behavior - Will no longer wake from sleep after reinstall of Windows 10: Hi All,Just switched to new SSD for system drive and did a fresh reinstall of Win10 Home. Now when trying to wake from sleep it won't wake like it used to and I have strange behavior. After putting system to sleep Start > Power > Sleep the system goes to sleep. Then when I...
  4. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  5. Windows has strange behavior when waking up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows has strange behavior when waking up from sleep mode: So yesterday I got a new laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 5 15IIL05 and I absolutely love the thing. So far I have had no issues except for one thing, whenever it wakes up from sleep mode it starts having weird behavior. Taskbar icons disappear, task manager doesn't work, most...
  6. Search Problems and strange behavior.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Problems and strange behavior.: Search does not work and behaves strangely 1- I click on a folder to open it. and do a search from the "Search" field in the upper right corner of the folder window It returns “No item match your search” 2- Now, I don’t touch anything else and in the same search...
  7. Strange USB mouse behavior - wake PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange USB mouse behavior - wake PC from sleep: I Have a USB mouse plugged into a USB 2 port on my PC's back panel. For years I've I've awakened the PC from sleep using a mouse click. Several days ago I replaced a USB 2 hub (plugged into another USB 2 port on the back panel) with a USB 3 hub plugged into a USB 3 port on...
  8. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  9. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...
  10. Strange behavior after waking from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange behavior after waking from hibernate: Lately my computer has been doing strange things after waking from hibernate. The first time 2 days ago after waking from hibernate my monitor did not wake up and just remained a black screen, yet after i restarted the computer it acted as if i had just woken it and the...