Windows 10: Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never?

Discus and support Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently did a fresh install of Win 10 Creative Update. I have Hibernate on my pc set to Never. My computer is set to Sleep after 20 minutes which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by protivakid, May 25, 2017.

1. Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never?

I recently did a fresh install of Win 10 Creative Update. I have Hibernate on my pc set to Never. My computer is set to Sleep after 20 minutes which works fine. After it goes to sleep a minute later I can hit a key and it will return from sleep. The problem is after a long period of time I come back and my computer acts like it's going through a cold boot / resume from Hibernate showing my BIOS screen and then starting windows 10 (doesn't say resuming).

In my System event log I see the PC go to sleep with:

The system is entering sleep.Sleep Reason: System Idle

Then anywhere between 5 - 40 minutes later (according to the event logs) I see this:

The system is entering sleep.Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout

Any idea what is going on or what I can check?

:)

protivakid, May 25, 2017

2. Win 10 updates

Have a Hibernate timeout in addition to sleep.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 shutting PC off after inactivity

Is Hibernate or Sleep set in the Advanced Power Options? Change to Never for both. Disable Hybrid Sleep.

Is Screensaver set to Blank with timeout? You can check at Control Panel>View by Icons>Personalization. Change to None.

Are you sure it's not your Monitor sleeping?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 25, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never?

Go to Control Panel > Power options. Click on 'Change plan settings' then on the next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'. You'll find a 'Hibernate after' setting under 'Sleep'.

5. WOT
    WOT Win User
    In addition to the suggestion by @Bree you can also just disable hibernate entirely if you don't use it:
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

However, be forewarned that you will lose "fast startup" if the hibernation file is removed.

The sleep function would still work because it doesn't require the hibernation file.

And, you would also recover a few GBs of hard drive space as well.

The nice thing is you can always change it back if you wish.

Good luck,

6. Bree New Member
    If you want fast startup without enabling hibernation you can have it. @WOT's tutorial link includes this....

7. WOT
    WOT Win User
    @Bree: Have you actually tested to ensure that hibernate will not work with a reduced size?

I don't think the specific size parameter works anymore so I (personally) can't be certain that hibernate would still be disabled at the default reduced size for everyone:

Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never? [​IMG]

Especially if the installation has a large amount of RAM installed.

However, I only have 4GBs of RAM so it does work for me.

8. Bree New Member

No, but then I prefer hibernate to sleep and I have fast startup turned off. I am going by Brink's tutorial which says....

Specify Hiberfile Type as Full or Reduced in Windows 10

9. WOT
    WOT Win User
    @Bree: As he is usually spot-on, I can't disagree.

I also don't have a rig with 64 GBs of RAM installed so I can't test anyway.

Thema:

1. Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never? - Similar Threads - Sleep Reason Hibernate

2. wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?: Wifi device seems to timeout, after having lid shut throughout the day I open my computer to find no ssid available, wifi showing enabled, turning off and back on fixes issue but would like a permanent solution, any suggestions...
  3. wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?: Wifi device seems to timeout, after having lid shut throughout the day I open my computer to find no ssid available, wifi showing enabled, turning off and back on fixes issue but would like a permanent solution, any suggestions...
  4. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  5. Monitors going to sleep even set to never sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitors going to sleep even set to never sleep: I've set my monitors to never sleep yet they do so on an irregular basis. They can go weeks w/o sleeping yet today they went to sleep twice in less than a 1/2 hour. I just double checked my settings and they are still set to never sleep. I did just start using Helios Display...
  6. screen timeout/sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen timeout/sleep: my Acer is scheduled to go to sleep after 3 hours of away time (when plugged in) but goes to sleep after only a couple minutes. It is driving me crazy! does anyone know what setting I may need to adjust?...
  7. Recovering from Hibernate or Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering from Hibernate or Sleep: Since, I think, the last Windows Update, moving the mouse to recover from sleep or pressing power button to recover from hibernate, brings up a fresh and quite pleasant picture. Sometimes I click, or double click and it brings up the Windows "Sign In" box which I click and...
  8. Sleep & Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep & Hibernate: Other than maybe creating a custom power plan via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Create a Power Plan, how do I get my laptop to sleep or hibernate automatically? Long story short, I was using my laptop and Microsoft Edge to watch shows on CBS.com last...
  9. Sleep and hibernation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep and hibernation: When I put my windows 10 PC to sleep it wakes up again after about 5 minutes, I have also tried hibernation mode and that does not work either, even when unplugging mouse, keyboard and, HDMI lead it still wakes up, I have even tried turning off notifications but still no...
  10. Set hibernation as "default" sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Set hibernation as "default" sleep: Hello, Is there a way to configure windows so every time a sleep is triggered indirectly (i.e. by a 3rd-party SW) than windows will automaticaly hibernate instead of entering a "regular" sleep ? 85437

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout

2. hibernate after sleep timeout

3. windows hibernate set timeout

4. windows 10 hibernate after sleep timeout,
  5. hibernate set timeout