Windows 10: Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update

Discus and support Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; With normal version of Windows 10, when I pressed hibernate my laptop was hibernating properly. After installing the Creators Update, I enabled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gezginrocker, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update

With normal version of Windows 10, when I pressed hibernate my laptop was hibernating properly.

After installing the Creators Update, I enabled hibernation from command line. But when I press hibernate at start menu, laptop is going into sleep mode. Although there is a hiberfil.sys file at C drive.

I've also noticed that, at the "Choose what the power buttons do" section of Power Options, hibernate is not listed.

I've experienced this issue with both Creators Update and Fall Creators Update.

Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update [​IMG]

:)

gezginrocker, Oct 22, 2017
  2. GVLynch Win User

Sleep option

Yes, after Creators Update the options for Sleep are gone on my PC (main home network computer). The only options are Hibernate, turn off display, and shut down. The former Sleep function was efficient and flexible since a computer could be set to sleep
    after designated time of inactivity but wakeable by other computers on newtwork. Now I have to juggle the Hibernate(fake sleep) and turn off display settings, or go back and forth hitting the Power/Hibernate(fake Sleep) button so other computers on my home
    network can access files on the main computer. SUX!!!

Until there is an explanation or fix from Microsoft I will likely revert my desktop back to Windows v1703 and not install Creators Update on other computers in my home network.

GVLynch, Oct 22, 2017
  3. DaveCG Win User
    Transition from sleep to hibernate fails

I have a problem with my laptop not hibernating from sleep following the creators edition update.

Before the update I had my machine set to sleep after 20 minutes and hibernate after 30 minutes

For my usage this worked perfectly, if I didn't wake the machine up from sleep then

I would probably not be back for some time so would hibernate to save power.

Following the creators update my laptop would sleep fine but when it wakes to hibernate it fails and

goes back to sleep. This repeats for ever until I wake the machine.

If I manually hibernate the laptop it works fine.

I have tracked the problem down to a wake timer being set for a backup to a server running Windows Home Server 2011.

This wake timer prevents hibernating from sleep even if the wake timer is set for many hours in the future.

If I disable the task that sets this wake timer the sleep then hibernate operation works as it used to but

of course the backup never runs.

If I change the power option for wake timers to important events only the laptop works as it used to but it does not wake up

to carry out the backup.

I have carried out a number of tests and have discovered that any wake timer that is timed within 24 hours of the

attempt to go from sleep to hibernate will cause the transition to fail.

Could someone please test this as I can't believe this is how Microsoft designed it!!

DaveCG, Oct 22, 2017
  4. Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update

Hi gezginrocker

While that options appears gone have you tried tighten up your timeframe to enable hibernation in the advance power option. By this I mean set it really low, so machine goes to sleep and so many minutes later it hibernates.

You may also want to use the Microsoft Feedback hub. The more people that voice an issue the more likely it is they will listen.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    You need to get away from Hibernate, since at some point you will lose your work if it is not saved. Fast Boot is risky if you want to use it, otherwise use a decent SSD to get fast speeds from a cold boot. Hibernate is good if you are going to use WOL.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update

1. Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update - Similar Threads - Sleeping instead hibernating

2. PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating: Hello Ms Community, I have an interesting problem I need your help with.As in the title, my PC is set up to turn screen off after 15 min, go to sleep after 30 min and finally hibernate after 120 min of inactivity. It does the first 2 things without a hitch, but has problems...
  3. PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating: Hello Ms Community, I have an interesting problem I need your help with.As in the title, my PC is set up to turn screen off after 15 min, go to sleep after 30 min and finally hibernate after 120 min of inactivity. It does the first 2 things without a hitch, but has problems...
  4. Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate: I have the same problem as this in the form: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluescreen-after-waking-up-from-hibernatesleep/842fe617-17a5-4336-8708-8ca4c6c2ce7fThe solution didn't work on my laptop. I tried every common solutions like sfc scan, updating...
  5. Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluescreen after sleep and hibernate: I have the same problem as this in the form: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluescreen-after-waking-up-from-hibernatesleep/842fe617-17a5-4336-8708-8ca4c6c2ce7fThe solution didn't work on my laptop. I tried every common solutions like sfc scan, updating...
  6. Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.: Greetings, everyone! <3 I know there had been threads on this topic, but none of those helped me. Here are my PC specs mind you it's PC, not a laptop: Processor: AMD A6-9500 RADEON R4+5, 8 COMPUTE CORES 2C+6G 3.50 GHz RAM: 4 GB Hard: 120 GB SSD System type: 64-bit...
  7. Windows 10 hibernates instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hibernates instead of sleeping: I have checked the advanced power options, and everything says that closing the lid and pressing power sleeps the laptop. But it hibernates instead. It doesn’t allow you to sleep it in the Start menu options either. This started happening after my laptop’s battery died. (it...
  8. New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate

New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate: After the most recent updates the past two weeks, when ever I put my computer to sleep or hibernate, my laptop fully shuts down. It closes all applications. It takes the normal turn on time rather than the expedited wake up from sleep mode. Not sure if there is a fix or if a...
  9. Won't Hibernation after Sleep

Won't Hibernation after Sleep: My laptop will wake up in 30minutes after sleep, which is supposed to go into hibernation, instead, it just stay awake. My power setting is: sleep after - 15min hybrid sleep - off hibernation after - 30min wakeup timer - off Also, when I see event, there is this:...
  10. Hibernate / Sleep option gone after updating Desktop to Creators Ed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernate / Sleep option gone after updating Desktop to Creators Ed.: Hi All, Afterupdating my Desktop to the new W10 x64 Creators Edition I lost my earlierHibernate and Sleep options. Whatever setting I put in into the regular powersaving menus the Desktop will only perform a complete power down mode. Does notmatter whether manually or...