Windows 10: Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours

Discus and support Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How to stop windows10 from spinning up my secondary hdd every 2 hours? In event log i see "Event 15, SecurityCenter" "Updated Windows Defender... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 1313111, Nov 8, 2016.

1. 1313111 Win User

Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours

How to stop windows10 from spinning up my secondary hdd every 2 hours?

In event log i see "Event 15, SecurityCenter" "Updated Windows Defender status successfully to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON." every ~2 hours, and that spins up hdd.
    i added that drive to exclusions in defender settings but didn't help.

:)

1313111, Nov 8, 2016
  2. PlusNt Win User

HDD wakes up every hour for nothing

This could prevent regular(every hour) spin ups, but other process could randomly cause spin ups.

Maybe one of these could help:

I use Process Monitor to log disk activities:

Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals

And here's a guide of how to use it:

Why is Windows constantly spinning up my secondary HDD?

My colleague says that using
    ShutUp10
    (or
    DWS
    or
    WSB
    if you prefer open-source software) and registry-StorPort settings made his system just fine. But I'm not going that far, as I don't fully understand the mechanism behind those settings. Plus, StorPort settings aren't work as expected on
    my system.

Interestingly, if I put HDDs into external(USB), they just sleep all day, even with all-default settings. I don't really know why.

Good luck!

PlusNt, Nov 8, 2016
  3. Zfast4y0u Win User
    Secundary HDD's constantly spining up issue

hello, i have problem with 2 of my secundary HDDs. one is old WD caviar 300gb and other one WD black 2tb, my boot drive is SSD.

i have set in my win10 power plan on ballanced. and HDD sleep after 1 minute.

now that works as intentended but after some random time, it can be 10 min or up to 65min i get HDDs spin up even when i didnt acsess em at all, i have turned all programs i had running and issue is still here. program i use to monitor read and writes is
    SSD ready, it showes me if anything is writing on this HDDs and most of the time they spin up even when there is 0b on read or write. when HDDs sleep for longer period of time, like 30min then i get some kind of log files being written on my disk drives but
    i dont know what program is doing that and i cant find it out so that i can stop it.

this are the log files being written on my 2 HDDs

Imgur

whats up with that? can anyone help me to fix this issue? like this now i get HDDs spining up like every 15min on avrange, and its really annoying i hear em spinning when i dont even use em. -.-

Zfast4y0u, Nov 8, 2016
  4. 1313111 Win User

I think microsoft fixed it or my windows fixed it itself

1313111, Nov 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours - Similar Threads - Sleeping secondary hdd

2. Secondary HDD repeated spin-up/down when going to sleep and shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Secondary HDD repeated spin-up/down when going to sleep and shutdown: Hi everyone, I have a dell laptop with primary os SSD nvme and secondary data HDD sata. In the bios, the sata HDD is set as RAID on; the other option is AHCI. nothing changes if the secondary HDD has the paging file enabled or disabled. I clean installed windows 10 when I...
  3. Secondary HDD repeated spin-up/down when going to sleep and shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Secondary HDD repeated spin-up/down when going to sleep and shutdown: Hi everyone, I have a dell laptop with primary os SSD nvme and secondary data HDD sata. In the bios, the sata HDD is set as RAID on; the other option is AHCI. nothing changes if the secondary HDD has the paging file enabled or disabled. I clean installed windows 10 when I...
  4. Secondary HDD repeated spin-up/down when going to sleep and shutdown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Secondary HDD repeated spin-up/down when going to sleep and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Sleep setting defaults to 2 hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep setting defaults to 2 hours: Sleep setting defaults to 2 hours I usually keep my sleep setting at 'Never' but lately, the setting gets changed to '2 hours' after a reboot. I can't get it to stay at 'Never.' This has been happening since I clean installed in August. Edition: Windows 10 Education...
  7. Windows keeps waking up my sleeping HDD / spinning back up spun down HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps waking up my sleeping HDD / spinning back up spun down HDD.: Windows really likes to keep the drives active for unknown reason. I have tried the followings: Changed "Power Options" in Control Panel; Modified registry to add AHCI Link Power Management in "Power Options" and changed the settings accordingly; Disabled "Storage Service"...
  8. Secondary HDD Possibly Sleeping?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD Possibly Sleeping?: Hello, I have recently did a restore on the comp (cleaning the craps) and I can't remember how I fixed it before...but I'd like it so that Windows 10 doesn't put my secondary HDD asleep. I actually have programs on there I access and I've noticed a delay on launching...
  9. Bitlocker waking up non-encrypted HDD drives every hour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker waking up non-encrypted HDD drives every hour: So I'm running Bitlocker encrypted and non-encrypted HDD disks and have set up disk to sleep after 5 minutes. However, every hour Bitlocker wakes up the disks that are _not_encrypted, apparently to check if they can be encrypted, or something similar. Disks that have all...
  10. PC stays on spinning dots for 2 hours

in Windows 10 Support
    PC stays on spinning dots for 2 hours: Hi there, people on Tenforums, it's my first post here. First of all, I apologize if my english looks... kinda weird... *chuckle Okay, let's begin. Last Sunday (15/05) I turned on my laptop in the evening, just to... play some games. In the screen with the black...