Windows 10: Slightly OT: Dell Laptop Power On Error Message

Discus and support Slightly OT: Dell Laptop Power On Error Message in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When powering on one of my Dell Inspiron-15-3565 laptop PC, I got the following error message: The AC adapter type cannot be determined. This will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dustymars, Mar 2, 2018.

1. dustymars Win User

Slightly OT: Dell Laptop Power On Error Message

When powering on one of my Dell Inspiron-15-3565 laptop PC, I got the following error message:

The AC adapter type cannot be determined. This will prevent optimalsystem performance.
    Strike the F3 key if you don't want to see power warning message again.
    Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. Press F5 to runonboard diagnostics.

Or Unknown or incorrect AC adapter detected.

I discovered that the USB Fan Cooling Stand Pad was running, so when it is off the error does not appear. That indicates the fan is drawinga tad more than the system likes.

:)

dustymars, Mar 2, 2018
  2. dm_999 Win User

Annoying Runtime Error message keeps popping up.

I never did wind myself up to doing a reset, so the runtime error message continues to pop up remorselessly. HOWEVER I discovered by chance that if I pull out the laptop's external power supply cord (which, by the way, is the official Dell p/s as supplied
    with the Dell XPS 13 that this error is occurring on) the error message immediately disappears!

Any thoughts?

dm_999, Mar 2, 2018
  3. MandyShaw Win User
    Slightly OT, but are Windows Live Alerts working for the rest of you today?

They've been working perfectly since just before my second post above ... I do get alerts from the forum, but I'm sorry to say I cannot remember how I turned them on (if they weren't there by default). I get them from my Windows Live calendar as well.

I've had my Hotmail account, now transformed into a WLID, since 1998, don't know whether it's got some out of date configuration lurking.

MandyShaw, Mar 2, 2018
  4. fireberd Win User

Some PC's, not all, have one USB slot that provides more power than others. Check or try different USB ports and see if that makes a difference.

But, at least you know what is causing the error message.

fireberd, Mar 3, 2018
  5. Some Dell chargers have a USB charging port on the AC adapter. Do you have the fan plugged into the PC or into the AC adapter itself?

I would be surprised if something plugged into the PC actually affected the communication between the adapter and PC, unless there was some really poor isolation between the 19V circuitry and the PC USB ports.

PolarNettles, Mar 3, 2018
  6. dustymars Win User
    The fan is plugged into the USB and the mouse wireless bud is as well. The error has not occurred since and if it does I'll ignore it.

dustymars, Mar 3, 2018
  7. dustymars Win User
    Yes, I expect random errors now and then so it is no big problem. it appeared only once so not worried. Thanks.

dustymars, Mar 3, 2018
  8. RickC Win User

FYI, you can check what maximum power USB devices are designed to draw using Uwe Sieber's free, small and portable USB Device Tree Viewer.

Select the connected device using the left-hand pane then scroll down to the Configuration Description section in the right-hand pane to see the MaxPower value.

For example, my scanner:

Slightly OT:  Dell Laptop Power On Error Message [​IMG]

Alternatively, Nir Sofer's USBDeview (also free, small and portable) shows the same information (by default you need to scroll quite a way to the right in order to see the Power column):

Slightly OT:  Dell Laptop Power On Error Message [​IMG]

Hope this helps...

RickC, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Slightly OT: Dell Laptop Power On Error Message - Similar Threads - Slightly Dell Laptop

2. Laptop Screen Slightly Dimmed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Screen Slightly Dimmed: I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 old I know and as of a couple days ago only the laptop monitor is slightly dimmed in comparison to my external monitor connected. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating various drivers and even my BIOS yet nothing is making a difference....
  3. Laptop Screen Slightly Dimmed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Screen Slightly Dimmed: I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 old I know and as of a couple days ago only the laptop monitor is slightly dimmed in comparison to my external monitor connected. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating various drivers and even my BIOS yet nothing is making a difference....
  4. "no audio output device is installed" error message no sound on Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "no audio output device is installed" error message no sound on Dell laptop: I recently got a new Dell laptop and my headset that I use for virtual meetings would not connect. I researched this online and I read that I needed to uninstall and reinstall the audio driver. I then uninstalled the realtek audio driver, After this I got this "no audio...
  5. "no audio output device is installed" error message no sound on Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "no audio output device is installed" error message no sound on Dell laptop: I recently got a new Dell laptop and my headset that I use for virtual meetings would not connect. I researched this online and I read that I needed to uninstall and reinstall the audio driver. I then uninstalled the realtek audio driver, After this I got this "no audio...
  6. Error message when starting a word document ot Excel file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error message when starting a word document ot Excel file.: When I attempt to open a Word file or an Excel file I get this message: Updating office please wait a moment this message is in a red box . . . . . . . . after several seconds . . . . . Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142. These files that I am unable to...
  7. Power message error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power message error: I am getting this pop-up when trying to shut down my laptop: "there are currently no power options available." What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-message-error/972de6f2-0935-4535-b18c-4599deeb6452
  8. BSOD Issues - Slightly Different Error Message Everytime...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD Issues - Slightly Different Error Message Everytime...: Help! My computer keeps randomly going to BSOD. There isn't a single cause, sometimes while playing a game, sometimes while just sitting idle. The frequency changes too - today I had about 8 BSOD, typically its only one or two. The most recently BSOD was while using...
  9. Slightly OT: Cloud Backup Services

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Slightly OT: Cloud Backup Services: Hi all, I am looking for a replacement for my CrashPlan Unlimited subscription since they are ceasing consumer backup services. I need to back up 4 PCs. So far, it seems that BackBlaze is the best or similarly priced option. Any one else have one picked out? I...
  10. Add Power Plans to Dell Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add Power Plans to Dell Laptop: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5577 model with Win 10 Home. It only has one Power Plan, Balanced. My desktop (home built) has High Performance. Is there a way to get it on Win 10 Home? Or do I have to create my own power plan? I use the Laptop for my recording studio and want...