Windows 10: Slippery Registry Changes (NumLock) in Win10: Fast Startup is Culprit

Discus and support Slippery Registry Changes (NumLock) in Win10: Fast Startup is Culprit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I want to share a summary of what I think I learned in finally resolving my problem with tweaking my Win10 registry to keep NumLock on.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GratefulUser, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Slippery Registry Changes (NumLock) in Win10: Fast Startup is Culprit

Hi,

I want to share a summary of what I think I learned in finally resolving my problem with tweaking my Win10 registry to keep NumLock on.

Short version: "Fast Startup", a feature in Windows 10 (which is turned on by default during installation of Win10), runs when the Power button is pressed to start the computer. Fast Startup ignores any modifications you made in the Windows Registry file. Pressing Power->Restart after changing the Registry does not run the Fast Startup program but does load your modified Registry file. You will think your Registry changes were successful, but they will disappear when you press the Start button on the case to boot the computer from a powered off state.

If you want to utilized a customized Registry, you will have to live without Fast Startup. Depending on your system, Fast Startup may or may not have a noticeable effect on boot time. To disable Fast Startup, go to: Settings -> System ->Power & sleep ->Additional power settings -> Choose what the Power Buttons Do -> (if necessary) Change settings that are currently unavailable ->Uncheck the box next to Enable Fast Startup.

Long version:
    • After upgrading to Windows 10, the default state of NumLock on my keyboard was set to Off. This was a pain because I use the numbers-only password to unlock the computer and find it easy to use the separate numbers area of the keyboard. I could turn on NumLock by pressing the NumLock key at every start-up, but it would always go back to NumLock->Off after every restart. There is no setting in my BIOS to change NumLock status.
    • From researching on this forum and others, I learned that changing settings in the Registry should take care of this.
    • After saving the modified Registry and restarting the computer, the NumLock was On at start up. I thought this meant my problem was solved.
    • However, when starting the computer by pressing the "on" button on the case, NumLock was back to "off". After repeating the steps of changing the Registry, restarting to confirm the NumLock fix, then later finding NumLock mysteriously unfixed itself, I thought I was going nuts.
    • As others on this Forum have reported, the goblin is a Windows' feature called "Fast Startup." Fast Startup promises a faster boot time. Note that "Fast Startup is not the same as "Fast Boot." Here is a link to a great explanation of Fast Startup: Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    • Fast Startup was not loading my modified Registry file when I pressed the 'On" button on the computer case to boot the machine boots from a cold start. Pressing Restart does not load "Fast Startup", but does load the modified Registry file.
    • In my machine, I discovered that there is no option in the BIOS to change NumLock.
    • I dug deep into Windows settings until I found and disabled "Fast Startup". Settings -> System ->Power & sleep ->Additional power settings -> Choose what the Power Buttons Do -> (if necessary) Change settings that are currently unavailable ->Uncheck the box for Enable Fast Startup.
    • Sure enough, when I pressed the Power button to boot up the computer, NumLock stayed on. I conclude that pressing the Power On button on the computer loaded the modified Registry file. Every time!
    • Since I have the operating system loaded on a Solid State Drive, Windows boots really fast (about six seconds), even with Fast Startup disabled. Although I did not make a quantitative study, I don't believe there was any measurable difference in boot time.

I hope this can help others approaching insanity.

:)

GratefulUser, Oct 18, 2015

2. Slippery Registry Changes: Windows' Fast Startup program ignores keyboard settings in the Registry File: Mysteries of NumLock state at boot up

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you carried in order to resolve your issue on your own. Let me help you further in resolving the issue you are facing with.

Before assisting you further, I would like to ask you a question regarding your query.

What is the InitialKeyboardIndicators value set to?

Run the power troubleshooter by following the steps below, and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Type troubleshooting
    in the search box next to Start icon, and select the top most search result.

Step 2: Click on View All
    from the left side of the screen panel.

Step 3: Select Power from the options,
    click on Advanced option, and check
    Apply repairs automatically
    option.

Step 4: Follow the on screen instructions.

Refer to the suggestion given by Hakanwar Singh from the link below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-numlock-on-at-start-up/8730fd91-984f-4fc4-9bbd-831cd7ce3a4e

Hope this helps!

We will be happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Slippery Registry Changes: Windows' Fast Startup program ignores keyboard settings in the Registry File: Mysteries of NumLock state at boot up

Hi Liktha V,

Thank you for offering to help. My NumLock is on at start up, even after I press the start button on the computer case. This is what I want. The trick was to disable Fast Startup after modifying the Registry key to 2147483650.

What I want to know is: Can you confirm if Fast Startup loads the Registry file? I don't believe it does. If not, can Fast Startup be forced to load the Registry file?

Here are the values in the Registry keys for InitialKeyboardIndicators:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators is set to 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini\Windows is set to USR:Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini\Windows is set to USR:Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard is set to 2147483650

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Keyboard is set to 2147483650

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Control Panel\Keyboard is set to 2147483650

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Control Panel\Keyboard is set to 2147483650

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3328689495-2766180848-2531419661-1003\Control Panel\Keyboard is set to 0

Thank you for your suggestion about the Power Troubleshooter. I ran it. I am not sure how this relates to my questions about Fast Startup.

Thank you,

Bill

GratefulUser, Oct 18, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Slippery Registry Changes (NumLock) in Win10: Fast Startup is Culprit

Hi,

Thanks. *Cool
    It explains a lot of minor issues I've been having with Win10

Btw, even if the bios has an option to activate numlock, Win 10 will just ignore it.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
Thema:

Slippery Registry Changes (NumLock) in Win10: Fast Startup is Culprit

1. Slippery Registry Changes (NumLock) in Win10: Fast Startup is Culprit - Similar Threads - Slippery Registry Changes

2. Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup: Why is my option to "Turn on fast startup" greyed out? [ATTACH] Pls Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup/4c05238b-43c2-4cc7-abff-f89aaf2795cd
  3. Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup: Okay so I figured out what's causing my computer to not fully shut down, and I'm cool with the whole fast startup feature but my problem with it is that I cant turn my computer back on when its in that mode, like I would have to hold the power button for it to fully shut...
  4. Win10 UEFI Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 UEFI Fast Startup: Does having a UEFI-installed Windows have advantage/difference to Fast Startup compared to Legacy-installed ones? submitted by /u/DevMakPH [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gp3ubd/win10_uefi_fast_startup/
  5. 1903 changed Fast Startup settings??

in Windows 10 Support
    1903 changed Fast Startup settings??: Has the 1903 update removed the ability to disable Fast Startup? 134756
  6. Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup: Hello all, The issue I am currently having is enabling NumLock before the logon, I have modified the corresponding registry key (Find attached my screenshot below) and that works perfectly fine when restarting my PC, however I have fast-startup (Screenshot also below)...
  7. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: Hi, does anyone know how to enable fast startup without enabling hibernation windows 10? Thank you 18351
  8. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: I tend to leave windows 10 mostly at default settings. So I keep fast start up enabled on my desktop. I do have an SSD but it is convenient and shaves a few seconds of reboot i guess. However I want to know whether it relies on a power source? What I mean by this is, is my pc...
  9. Turn off Fast Startup [Was: Win10 clean - Win10 update Mismatch]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn off Fast Startup [Was: Win10 clean - Win10 update Mismatch]: I hope somebody can either explain to me what I'm missing or point me to an explanation. I have two 256 Gig SSDs on which I'd loaded different operating systems but virtually identical applications. One was Windows 8.1 and one was Windows 7. They were interchangeable --...
  10. Win10 Fast Startup Kernel Boot Errors

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Fast Startup Kernel Boot Errors: Hi everyone... I have received some critical kernel boot messages in Event Viewer after every start-up. Just a few pointers: - Fast Startup is Enabled - UEFI Fast Boot is enabled in BIOS These are the error messages: 1. Event ID 29: Windows failed fast startup...