Windows 10: Slow Boot Problem

Discus and support Slow Boot Problem in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone; I'm new here today so please forgive me if I'm a little off on protocol to start out. I purchased a new Dell XPS-8700 about a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Matchlock, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Matchlock Win User

Slow Boot Problem

Hello everyone;

I'm new here today so please forgive me if I'm a little off on protocol to start out.

I purchased a new Dell XPS-8700 about a month ago, and just the other day took the leap and upgraded to Windows 10. The install seemed to go just fine but when it was finished I now have a computer that will boot from a shut down in approximately 45 to 50 seconds abut when do a warm boot, or restart as I guess they're called these days, it takes over two and a half minutes to completely boot into the desktop.

I also syill get the "Welcome" screen even though I don't have to sign in with a password after following some tweak suggestions found on the Internet.

I'm not a very tech savvy guy at all, although I've been using PC since I bought my first IBM PC back in the very early 80's.

If someone could help me with this terribly slow restart I would be most grateful.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from someone/anyone real soon.

:)

Matchlock, Aug 27, 2015

2. Slow Booting problem

thanks

Gowtham442, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Slow Booting problem

Hi,

Check with Alienware Support, their on-line documentation and drivers, and ask in their forums as there could be known issues with your model. Maybe all you need to do is update the BIOS, low level chipset drivers, and other drivers or custom programs (made
    by Alienware/Dell). Of course the issue could be hardware.

Alienware - Support - Drivers and Downloads

Alienware Support-Website | Dell DEUTSCHLAND

Alienware - Community Forum - Club

Alienware Laptops - Dell Community

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 27, 2015
  4. ram1220 Win User

Slow Boot Problem

How long have you been using Win 10? When I first installed Win 10 my boot up time was almost 4 minutes. After the operating system downloaded the updates the next reboot was about 15 to 20 seconds. Boot up from a cold state is about 40 seconds. I didn't do anything to improve the times other than allow MS to install the updates.

ram1220, Aug 27, 2015
  5. Matchlock Win User
    Hi Ram;

I've had Windows 10 for about four days now and it has done a few updates already. I just did a warm boot and it took 2 minutes and 22 seconds to finally get to the desktop and settle down to where I could make a selection. Far too long I'd say.

I wish there was a way to get rid of that "Welcome" screen altogther as it takes up quite a bit of load time. I just want to turn it on and have it boot directly into widnwos 10. I don't have to use a login or password so I really don't see how it is necessary to have it load anyway.

Many thanks for your kind replay Ram, it is most appreciated.

Matchlock, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Ninetailz Win User
    You mean the welcome screen when you log on? Just use local account instead, its faster that way

Ninetailz, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Look for an option called Fast Boot or Quick Boot in your BIOS and make sure it's turned on(Secure Boot too while you're there) and in power options make sure that Hibernate and Fast Startup are turned on.

Cliff S, Aug 27, 2015
  8. Matchlock Win User

Slow Boot Problem

Yes, and sorry, but what is a local account?

Matchlock, Aug 27, 2015
  9. Matchlock Win User
    Thanks, and yes, fast boot is "ON" but I don't understand why "Hybernate" will make a difference in boot up spped.

Thanks all for the kind replies.

Matchlock, Aug 27, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Hibernate(tutorial step 8 the Note) needs to be turned on for Fast Boot to function, also you have to shutdown from the start menu and not WinX(windows icon right click menu).

Cliff S, Aug 27, 2015
  11. If I may interject a moment...

I recommend going to the Dell website and installing any and all updated drivers specifically for your computer and Windows 10 - (US): Support | Dell Deutschland

Drivers, especially the correct drivers from the Manufacturer, make things run quite a bit more smoothly.

In addition, here are some tips for speeding things up on your computer without installing those fake 'optimize tools' that are often advertised online. See this: Optimize Performance of Windows 8 - says Windows 8 but works for 10 too!

Please note that on my own computers with updated drivers, the windows logo loading screen does take a bit more time than Windows 8 did to get to the desktop. It generally is double to quadruple the time, but the good side is everything else loads much faster. One tip you might consider is instead of shutting down, put your computer to sleep unless you'll be away for longer than a day. Loading times are often cut in half this way, and MS even recommends it over constant reboots. See the Optimize tutorial above for more tips on performance.

DustSailor, Aug 27, 2015
  12. My local and outlook.com accounts both have my 1st and last name. For the local i had to use First Last Local because it couldn't be the same as the .com. Do you know how to change the local name? When I'm in outlook it wants to auto-complete my name to Joe Blow Local. Excel files etc are authored by Joe Blow Local.

ChrisPbass, Aug 28, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Slow Boot Problem

Definitely one place to start after an upgrade make sure get most important driver updates, as system shows it is good for this upgrade. Give it some more time to complete all updates, check startup items in Task manager Startup tab may also have to many running services will slow down startup, choose proper operating system 64 bit or 32bit when selecting here........ http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...s-8700/drivers

jds63, Aug 28, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    Fast Startup will only work if your PC is turned of. On Restarts it does nothing.

15. jds63 Win User
    I figure using this method only if going to use Hibernate to begin with.

jds63, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

Slow Boot Problem

1. Slow Boot Problem - Similar Threads - Slow Boot Problem

2. Slow booting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow booting: Hi!So my laptop HP EliteBook 8470p has been starting up very slow recently, probably about 2 minutes - 3 minutes. It has a 128gb ssd and it used to startup really fast. I already did every method shown in Youtube videos and it did not work. I also did a memory and hard disk...
  3. Slow booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow booting: Hi!So my laptop HP EliteBook 8470p has been starting up very slow recently, probably about 2 minutes - 3 minutes. It has a 128gb ssd and it used to startup really fast. I already did every method shown in Youtube videos and it did not work. I also did a memory and hard disk...
  4. SLOW BOOT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SLOW BOOT: My Toshiba laptop has 4gb of ram and ssd the problem is turning it on takes a lot of time like 10-20 minsfan is spinning charging and power light indicator is on it will only boot when the network light indicator turn on and its on red lighttried cleaning ram and ram slot...
  5. Slow boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot: Hello everyonePlease I need help, in windows 7, I know it's dated but the 'starting windows logo' part takes way longer after installing a lot of performance and sercuirty updates, welcome part is pretty fast but starting windows takes around 2 minutes, please help. Deleting...
  6. Slow boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow boot: Hello everyonePlease I need help, in windows 7, I know it's dated but the 'starting windows logo' part takes way longer after installing a lot of performance and sercuirty updates, welcome part is pretty fast but starting windows takes around 2 minutes, please help. Deleting...
  7. windows 10 slow boot problem and performance problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 slow boot problem and performance problems: hi I am using dell inspiron 5520 laptop 4gb ram 500 gb hd intel core i5and 3-4 month before I installing windows 10 home in my pc but it does not performed well I did all methods for well performance and increasing boot problem1.I am disabled all unwanted started apps, visual...
  8. Slow boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot: Please, my booting very slow, what can i do to it to make boot faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-boot/31aa9b5a-44ac-4968-a391-e0753744d8d9
  9. High cpu usage and slow boot problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High cpu usage and slow boot problem: Strange issue with my pc getting very high cpu usage it will be like 30% then when i try do anything at all it can jump between that and 60/70 sometimes even 100, when i restart it sticks on the motherboard logo with a loading circle for like 2 minutes then once on the...
  10. slow boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot: hello everyone, the build number of the system is 19042.546 ssd on the slot m2 is patriot viper vpn 100 1 TB i am sending the file from windows performance recorder it happens from the second start after a clean installation link here...