Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Discus and support Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! This is my first post here so greetings *Smile Recently my win 10 started booting very slow. I purchased an SSD (EVO 850) a month ago and was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DeadlyChef, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Hi!

This is my first post here so greetings *Smile

Recently my win 10 started booting very slow. I purchased an SSD (EVO 850) a month ago and was amazed how fast it boots, approx. 11s from cold boot to login screen. Since I mine crypto I don't shut down my PC much, I rather put it in sleep rarely.
    So I restarted my pc because why not and I saw that it boots really slowly. Let me explain.

It does POST as it should, but when the windows starts loading it takes about 30-40 seconds and I noticed something very strange.
    My disk use is very high on POST, HDD indicator pure red, but when the OS load screen shows it just stops flashing. Then there is the circle spinning for about half a minute and it seems the whole PC is just idle. After that time the HDD indicator is in pure red again and in a few seconds my login screen is up.

So I think for whatever reason it isn't using the disk in that time, like it is waiting on a timeout of something to start loading.

Latest updates on all drivers, tried doing a clean boot.
    Disabled fast boot in registry(since in the latest version I can't find it anywhere in power settings). Tried disabling my GPU, no difference. Messed around in bios, restored everything to default and nothing.

Just tell me what info or logs you need to assist me.
    Thank you!

:)

DeadlyChef, Dec 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 boots up very slow.

Venky,

Thank you for your reply. I tried the methods you suggested but still, once I turn on the PC, during the initial Win 10 screen, the "loading circle", just moves too slow taking up to minute and one half to come up to the login screen. And, like I said in
    my original post, my Toshiba laptop is the total opposite. It boots way faster. I don't even get to see the initial win 10 screen with the loading circle. Also the fact that the laptop is booting from a Hard Drive. My desktop is booting from an SSD.

efrain_delarosa, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Tcamiga Win User
    Windows 8.1 boot screen instead of Windows 10

Hi

Thanks for Windows 10 pro - its great except for a couple of small issues on my Desktop machine.

Question - When the computer initially boots it shows the same boot screen as I had on Win 8.1 pro for about 10 to 15 seconds as if its loading Win 8.1.

Then it disappears and the Win 10 screen appears and everything works quicker and its all OK to log in.

Presuming that win 10 has a different boot loading screen than Win 10 - how do I fix this issue as it slows down the boot time off the SSD.

Thankyou

TC

Tcamiga, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

And just to say my SSD is very fast in everyday use so it's not the issue. It's still as fast as on day one

DeadlyChef, Dec 30, 2017
  5. Check that all of your RAM and data/power connectors are properly seated in their respective sockets.

Another thing you could try is disconnecting any (extra) hardware that you don't need for boot up.
    Try booting with the bare minimum of devices (e.g SSD, graphics card, keyboard, monitor & mouse).

I once had an issue with a dodgy power connection on an optical drive, which caused a significant boot delay.

lehnerus2000, Dec 30, 2017
  6. PolarNettles, Dec 30, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Are you using the Samsung software to check the stat's on that drive to make sure that it is running as fast as it should be. Also you need to adjust so that there is at least a 10% space for the SSD to have available if areas need to be moved when it may start failing. Also make sure that Hibernate is turned off so that Fast boot is off, do not switch on the setting for speeding up the unit in the Samsung software.

bro67, Dec 30, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Check if you have another drive connected which has an active partition since this can confuse an slow the boot process. You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to check the status of partitions.

Steve C, Dec 30, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    As bro67 suggested above, are you using the Samsung Magician software?

swarfega, Dec 30, 2017
  10. Yes I am using samsung magician and all the optimizations are done. Also I use over provisioning for 10% of the drive. As I said in the second post, SSD speed is not the issue here.

I will try disconnecting all other drives and other hardware to see the difference

Also I tried using windows performance analyzer but I am not smart enough for that, if anyone knows how to read it I can upload the report

DeadlyChef, Dec 30, 2017
  11. The performance trace file is located at My Documents\WPR Files. It is huge - mine is around 4GB - but you can compress it and shrink it down to ~200MB.

PolarNettles, Dec 30, 2017
  12. Ok I tried without anything else but the keyboard/mouse and GPU, also checked all the connections.

I only have one more HDD and it has no active partitions just my files.

What can I do next? Apart from reinstalling my OS

DeadlyChef, Dec 30, 2017
  13. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

I know where to find it but can't make any sense of it even after looking into a guide. Also why is there no edit button or am I blind.

DeadlyChef, Dec 30, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    Post the test results from Magician for that drive, along with S.M.A.R.T. info.

bro67, Dec 31, 2017
  15. You can compress it and upload it somewhere so we can look at it.

PolarNettles, Dec 31, 2017
Thema:

Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

1. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen) - Similar Threads - Slow boot SSD

2. boot time loading slow.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    boot time loading slow.: I am facing the following problems while using my Dell laptop for the past few weeks : 1 The boot time loading of the laptop has become very slow due to unknown causes. 2 The opening of files,folders, and softwares also takes a considerable amount of time during...
  3. Slow boot time to OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time to OS: As the title suggests, the load time of OS is extremely long(spinning white dots i believe), about 15-25 seconds. Which makes my boot-up time from button pressed to windows screen 50~ seconds Windows is installed on SSD, and i have another HDD connected. Troubleshooting:...
  4. slow boot time on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot time on ssd: Hi all, I know there are a wide range of posts about this issue but I couldn't find any direct solution.. I have a laptop with i7 8750h, 16gb ram and 512gb intel 7600p ssd. Boot time takes about 50 seconds, some times 40. Here is the link of Windows Performance Recorder test...
  5. Windows loading screen crashes during boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows loading screen crashes during boot.: Hey my pc has been wotking absolutely fine until today i turned it on and the monitor disconnected so i had a go at troubleshooting it. It loaded up fine in safe mode, so i tried reinstalling the graphics drivers, aswell as removing them. After, instead of disconnecting the...
  6. Slow boot time on SSD during windows logo screen

Slow boot time on SSD during windows logo screen: Hi! During the last months my windows boot time became to a ridiculous 12+ mins time. It´s my office computer, and I´m usually overloaded with work so can´t take care of it. I suspected that the problem began since I inserted a new SSD, but today I unplugged every drive (but...
  7. Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen

Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen: Hey, Windows 10 screen takes 6-minutes on average. Which is really frustrating since I occasionally boot to/from Ubuntu. I noticed the issue a few weeks ago. Before that I would barely see the loading screen( only for 2 seconds tops ). Tried these so far; - Disable...
  8. Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD

Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD: I just noticed in the last few days that my PC takes about 2-3 minutes to boot up. It takes about 5 seconds to post and then hangs on Windows loading screen for about 2-3 minutes, which used to be around 10-15 seconds. I'm not really sure when it started. I did a test to...
  9. Boot time very slow with SSD

Boot time very slow with SSD: I have Windows 10 with the latest updates, my hardware is: i5-6600k running at 4.4GHZ and 1.3v Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 8GB RAM Z170-HD3 RX 480 4GB I'm on windows 10 1703 My boot time has recently been extremely slow (almost 2 minutes) Interestingly Windows boot...
  10. Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading

Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading: Hi all, I'm using an Intel SSD 240GB 520 series. Always loading very fast, i.e., about 8 seconds from cold boot. Since windows 10 is installed, boot time is about 20 seconds and desktop icons take some time to refresh and load their images. Regarding the boot time:...