Windows 10: Slow Broadband Speed

Discus and support Slow Broadband Speed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My HP Pavilion Desktop PC gives me a download broadband speed of 41.7 mb/s whereas my Thomson NEO 10.5 inch laptop only gives me 3.98 Mb/s. I am on BT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by A Gray, Mar 28, 2018.

1. A Gray Win User

Slow Broadband Speed

My HP Pavilion Desktop PC gives me a download broadband speed of 41.7 mb/s whereas my Thomson NEO 10.5 inch laptop only gives me 3.98 Mb/s. I am on BT Infinity and use a BT Hub5 router. Both machines run the latest version of W10 and are connected wirelessly and these speeds were obtained at the same time and with the machines in virtually the same position relative to the router. Can anyone explain why there is such a large difference and is there anything I can do to speed up the Thomson?

:)

A Gray, Mar 28, 2018
  2. teraq12 Win User

Maploader downloader times

can ppl tell wot sort of speed they been getting when downloading new maps to the n95 with Maploader.

started to download the maps for the UK but it said gonna take 5 hours plus, and thats on a broadband connection.

is the nokia site not able to keep up with the broadband speeds or is just that slow normally

teraq12, Mar 28, 2018
  3. CJLim Win User
    Intermittent voice when call from fring in E51 via Wlan

I have had this problem once or twice in the past when using public Wlan's but never when using my Wlan at home. I put it down to slow broadband speeds. I have 4mbps broadband at home and call quality is usually superb. Could also be due to poor connection
    speeds at the other end.

CJLim, Mar 28, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Slow Broadband Speed

You say at the same time that would divide you download between 2 pcs and the first to connect can grab all the bandwidth. What is the wireless type foreach pc ie AC ,n type

Samuria, Mar 28, 2018
  5. RickC Win User
    The Thomson NEO uses 802.11 b/g/n.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 28, 2018
  6. swarfega Win User
    You might want to look in to powerline adaptors if you're not too far from the router.

swarfega, Mar 28, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    What type is the wireless card in each pc?

Samuria, Mar 28, 2018
  8. A Gray Win User

Slow Broadband Speed

Thanks for your replies. Although I said that the tests had been done at the same time they were not in parallel there were a few minutes between them. The router is within a metre of the my desktop computer and the test on the Thomson was at a similar distance. I have since done tests on other equipment that I have access to. My Nokia 3 mobile has a download speed of 25.7Mb/s through a brick wall from the router and an e machines E372 laptop gave 41.3 Mb/s, it is about 2 metres from the router in the same room. The broadband feed and router are definitely producing ample speed which you would expect with BT Infinity. The fact that the Nokia which is much smaller than the Thomson can give a good result suggests to me that it is a setting or hardware problem in the Thomson that is the cause but what?

A Gray, Mar 28, 2018
  9. Samuria Win User
    Is the router set to n only if it's set to n and b that would cause it settings any PC to full duplex will cause it as it won't cope and do a lot of resends

Samuria, Mar 28, 2018
  10. A Gray Win User
    Hi Samuria, As far as I can determine The Thomson's wifi adapter is a RealteK RTL8723BS Wireless LAN 802.11 n SD10 Network Adapter. The BT Home Hub 5 CR38 for this computer uses the 2.4 GHz frequency and the wireless interface type is 802.11 b/g/n. The HP Pavilion also uses this frequency and has an Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n wifi adapter

A Gray, Mar 29, 2018
  11. Samuria Win User
    Can you set the router to n type only

Samuria, Mar 29, 2018
  12. A Gray Win User
    Hi Samuria, I have looked into the settings of the BT router and I can see no way to restrict the output to n only. I really think that the only solution, if there is any is to boost the router wireless output by say adding another antenna which may not be possible with the BT unit and hence may involve the purchase of a more powerful router. This method might work at home but one of the main uses I want for the Thomson is to take it on holiday to keep tabs on my e mail. Alternatively if I could improve the reception on the Thomson by, say, adding a usb wireless adapter that would help on holiday as well as at home. However would that interfere or clash with it's built in unit?

A Gray, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Slow Broadband Speed

1. Slow Broadband Speed - Similar Threads - Slow Broadband Speed

2. slow wifi broadband

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slow wifi broadband: I am running windows 10 Home on PC and Ubuntu 20.04 on laptop. On the PC I get less than 1mbps download in ookla speed test and constant buffering. But in Ubuntu I get up to 40mbps. I had Ubuntu on the PC with 40MBPS but after installing window10 home it dropped to below...
  3. slow wifi broadband

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    slow wifi broadband: I am running windows 10 Home on PC and Ubuntu 20.04 on laptop. On the PC I get less than 1mbps download in ookla speed test and constant buffering. But in Ubuntu I get up to 40mbps. I had Ubuntu on the PC with 40MBPS but after installing window10 home it dropped to below...
  4. slow wifi broadband

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to check Broadband Speed in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to check Broadband Speed in Windows 10?: Hello Sir, can you help me to find any software or web in Windows where I can doBroadband speed check? I will helpful if anyone answers the following questions....
  6. Improve Home Broadband Internet Speed

Improve Home Broadband Internet Speed: Hi, Microsoft In My City i have only 1 Good Internet Service Provider ISP which provides ADSL Broadband Internet Connection. I want to know what is the maximum Internet Speed on ADSL Broadband. How can i improve or increase My Home Broadband Internet Speed. Please help &...
  7. Improve Home Broadband Internet Speed

Improve Home Broadband Internet Speed: Hi, Microsoft In My City i have only 1 Good Internet Service Provider ISP which provides ADSL Broadband Internet Connection. I have Subscribe to Internet Speed Plan @ 8 Mbps. But i am getting very Slow Internet Speed @ 6.44 Mbps. Also want to know SNR Margin Down Stream &...
  8. dial up speed with broadband

dial up speed with broadband: Yeah. That's what I say. What? I am using windows 10 Home edition version 1511 HP laptop 64 bit 8 gb ram 500 gb hd. I recently reinstalled windows and am experiencing very slow and sometimes incomplete downloads. I checked errors and read that my connection shows "Getchar...
  9. My broadband connection is slow

My broadband connection is slow: Many thanks. I have recently bought a refurbished Fujitsu PC with Windows 10. It has a solid state hard drive. It has a Pentium dual-core CPU E5400 @ 2.7GHz. 4 GB RAM. 7.500Gb virtual memory, 5.06Gb available. My broadband connection is slow - 1 kps on average. When I am on...
  10. Internet speed problem with 1 Giga broadband

Internet speed problem with 1 Giga broadband: Happy holidays to all! I've recently been upgraded to a 1 gigabyte broadband connection. We have two PCs connected by LAN. One of them achieves 800 Mbps download and 100 Mbps upload, which is within the ISP parameters, while my Lenovo T450s laptop only achieves 100-450 Mbps...