Windows 10: slow complicated file copying

Discus and support slow complicated file copying in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using Win10 10240. I have a problem copying a large number of big files. The setup is a bit tortuous. The source is an old WD Cloud NAS on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brianwall, Jul 22, 2015.

1. brianwall Win User

slow complicated file copying

I am using Win10 10240. I have a problem copying a large number of big files. The setup is a bit tortuous.

The source is an old WD Cloud NAS on ethernet via my ethernet connected router.
    The destination is an external hard drive on USB3.0

Using file explorer, I drag a bunch of folders to the destination and copying begins but either stalls soon after or indeed never starts.
    slow complicated file copying [​IMG]
    When it works the speed is around 10Mp/s but why does it stall at random places?

I've tried just copying a single folder too. Single files are OK. I've looked at the resource monitor and so on and can't see anything odd although I'm no expert there.

I don't know of any other way to get these files across. The WD Cloud software is hopeless and not fit for purpose in my view. Would a command line xcopy batch file be better? Or third party stuff?

:)

brianwall, Jul 22, 2015
  2. MrOddJob Win User

N900 networking?

Thanks for the info I have had a quick look at winscp and it does look a little complicated to get setup to me, as I said I am a novice at networking. I can use Bluetooth to swap files but it is very slow as I am usually copying large
    music or video files so was hoping for something like I have setup with my other two pc’s on the network. So I guess I’m looking for something that is not available yet then???

MrOddJob, Jul 22, 2015
  3. Slow file transfer speeds while copying a file from a windows 10 machine to a windows 7 machine over a network.

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

Glad to know that you are able to resolve the issue. Appreciate your efforts.

Thank you for sharing the valuable information regarding the issue. It might help other community user with similar issues.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I'd try xcopy or robocopy.

Ztruker, Jul 23, 2015
  5. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Have you tried leaving it for a day or two until the cack-handed algorithm has verified all the files are valid to be copied and there's enough destination space, heh. *Wink

Yeah, an xcopy batch file is likely to be a ~million times faster.

6. bro67 Win User
    Move the WD to the physical computer. Some routers have really slow CPU's and not enough RAM, to handle everything.

bro67, Jul 23, 2015
  7. linw Win User
    Very much agree. This is almost certainly the problem.

8. slow complicated file copying

In the past many users used a program from Microsoft called Windows Easy Transfer. Windows 10 does not have the Windows Easy Transfer program anymore. You will need to use a tool like PCmover from Laplink to get your apps, data and setting from your old PC to your new Windows 10 computer. Microsoft recommended it and provides a limited use free copy on their site at Free data transfer.

This program transfers files, and setting only. You can upgrade to the Pro version of PCmover for a discounted price of $19.95 (it is usually priced at $60).

TerrySorensen75, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. slow complicated file copying - Similar Threads - slow complicated file

2. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  3. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  4. External very slow to copy files onto it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External very slow to copy files onto it: I normally copy a folder full of files (9GB) off my Windows 10 pc onto 2 External Drives as backup Do it weekly and never had a problem. I copied the folder to one of the extenals today and it took 7 minutes Started to copy them to the second External straight afterwards and...
  5. Copying files internally is absurdly slow STILL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files internally is absurdly slow STILL: I know this another old issue affecting all W10 users that Msft has ignored, but since we're supposedly stuck with W10 forever, is anything ever going to be done to improve file copy speed? To duplicate a directory of about 800 mB is taking over an hour which is absurd....
  6. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate: I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue. I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the...
  7. Notepad Opening File Complications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad Opening File Complications: While I was downloading something I received the option to use Notepad to help download a mod for a game of mine, I accidentally clicked the "open all files using Notepad" option, which, every time I open apps it opens with Notepad which doesn't let me use the app but shows...
  8. copy paste data file vary slow

copy paste data file vary slow: Copying files VERY slow, speed drops to zero, even on USB 3 -- no solutions have worked I have a mini PC with Windows 10 64-bit preinstalled. Set it up this weekend and when copying files between USB 3 drives, the speed is abysmal. It fluctuates wildly during copy/move....
  9. It's complicated

It's complicated: Hey. I am about a sand grain close to losing my mind over this. I have a lot of problems with my Lenovo office 360 computer but it all ties to one word...STORAGE. I am going to start from the beginning. I got a message on my laptop a couple weeks ago telling me that my disk...
  10. File share copy speed slow

File share copy speed slow: Hi. I have a Windows Server hosting some shares. The server has an 10GBPS network card and hosts connected through a 1GBPS ports. When copying files down from server the copy speeds dont pass 10 mbytes per second. When copying files up to server the copy speeds passes 100...