Windows 10: Slow Data Transfer Speeds in Home Network Between PCs

Discus and support Slow Data Transfer Speeds in Home Network Between PCs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm wondering if there's any way I can increase the data transfer speed between 2 of my computers on my wireless network. I'm seeing about 1.25MB/s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by msjs91011, Mar 26, 2016.

1. msjs91011 Win User

Slow Data Transfer Speeds in Home Network Between PCs

I'm wondering if there's any way I can increase the data transfer speed between 2 of my computers on my wireless network. I'm seeing about 1.25MB/s according to the box that shows you the speed/duration of a file transfer. I'd love to even triple this tiny speed because I am trying to transfer nearly 500GB between my computers before I hit the road again (I'm a truck driver). Thanks.

:)

msjs91011, Mar 26, 2016

2. How do you transfer large files?! Lumia 620

Currently transfer between my phone and pc is taking at rate of 35-45MB per minute, which is slow. Does speed has to do anything with data cable? I am using original cable supplied with it. When I transfer files with my pen drive its alot faster.

Thanks again!

Creaturebot, Mar 26, 2016
  3. clonmult Win User
    Nokia N95 8GB vs iphone

Maybe the data transfer functionality on the N73 has been restricted? I thought that it was supposed to support USB 2?

The iPod data transfer (on my 30gig video) is full speed USB - I can transfer between the internal/external hard drives on my laptop at 10+meg/sec. The iPod is virtually at the same speed.

Its only the v2 iPod Shuffle that suffers slow data transfer, but thats down to the connection being very non-standard.

clonmult, Mar 26, 2016
  4. msjs91011 Win User

Okay, further investigating led me to set my adapters in both PCs as AdHoc N mode, as well as going into the router and changing it from 20/40MHz to 20MHz. None of this has helped. I am being limited to right at 10Mbps. Disk usage is 0-1%, CPU sits at 14%...

msjs91011, Mar 26, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Wireless-N needs to be set in 40MHZ and have two channels set. Setting it to 20MHZ, sets the A/P for Wireless-G, and can also drop down to Wireless-B speeds if there are communication errors when the packets are sent and CRC are checked.

bro67, Mar 26, 2016
  6. msjs91011 Win User
    This Belkin AC1200 router only allows me to do 20MHz or 20/40MHz, I don't have the option at all to choose only 40MHz. I will set fixed channel and extension channel as well as set the 2.4ghz network back to 20/40 and hope it helps, but at this point I am looking at 3+ days just to transfer 100GB which is pathetic.

ETA 10 minutes later:

Made above mentioned changes. I grabbed both laptops and they're only 1ft apart right now but I am seeing about 30Mbps instead of the 10 I was stuck at. I fully believe the only thing that made this speed increase was the distance between laptops, which was only about 8ft before. I am noticing that I am riding right at 30-32Mbps now though, so I am obviously riding a bandwidth cap again. I wish I could find it.

msjs91011, Mar 26, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    There is no bandwidth cap. It is your settings on your router and whatever changes you made on the computers.

If you do not have Wireless-ac devices, a Wireless-ac router is overkill. Also Belkin products are junk. Go to smallnetbuilder.com and pull up the spec's on it. You will be really surprised.

bro67, Mar 27, 2016
  8. msjs91011 Win User

there's an obvious cap when I cannot exceed it based on whatever screwed up settings are limiting my data transfgers across 2 devices that are using an 802.11n connection as reported by (i forget the specific name of it) in task manager.

msjs91011, Mar 27, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    There would be no cap. You have most likely messed up the adapter settings and yes the router can be set for 40mhz Channel Bandwidth, but you have to set the router for Wireless-n 2 Channels (Channel 1 & 5 (Upper Channel if there is no setting for a second channel)).

Your best thing if you are doing anything when back on the road, is to use something like a Toshiba Cavio to transfer stuff on and with the unit you are taking on the road, put in an SSD, so that if it happens to wake up or you are using it for maps, the SSD will handle the rough vibrations and run cooler.

I killed my laptop that I had when I drove, because of the vibrations from when it would be sitting in the case on my bunk, or tucked into the area where the fridge normally goes in the sleeper area.

Without really seeing the info from Command for netsh wireless show all You can also use Speccy from Speccy - System Information - Free Download (Need the URL that it gives that saves a copy of the output, without private info on Piriform's servers. It does delete it after 30 days.) Also screenshots of your Wireless screens, that would be the only way to troubleshoot the problem from this end.

bro67, Mar 28, 2016
  10. msjs91011 Win User
    I'll post up what I think you want to see.. 10 mins

msjs91011, Mar 28, 2016
  11. msjs91011 Win User
  12. bro67 Win User
    The unit you used for Speccy also needs more RAM. You really do not need the Belkin USB manager if you do not have any USB memory sticks or USB capable drives connected to the ports on the router.

That router is crippled in that you will never be able to get the speeds that you want out of it. The ASUS RT-AC56U is still one of the best AC 1200 units out there for best bang for the buck. It is a flat panel type unit. You can check newegg.com or amazon.com to see if there are units for less then $99. I am going by 2.4 Ghz Max Throughput on smallnetbuilder.com for this.

Really if you wanted something that is going to last you for a long time and the only thing you would have to swap out if you go with Wireless-ac, is the setup I have. I use a Wired Router behind my U-Verse Gateway. From there I have a Engenius ECB350 Access Point set for Wireless-N. The Upper Channel setting for Channel 1, gets me Channel 5. I also have it set for 40 Mhz Channel Bandwidth.

The Belkin works fine as a wired device. But for Wireless, you are hurting. You could always and a Access Point like the Trendnet TEW-638APB, which I use for Wireless-b/g, but will work for Wireless-N just fine, It is a N300 (300 mbps) for only $30. I get a decent connection to it from our Living Room, which is about 25' from where it sits in my son's Bedroom.

As for the RAM, check crucial.com, same with the SSD. You may be able to find a good deal on Amazon for them. I use the M500 series 240 GB in my laptop. I only use about 20 gig with Linux Mint. For Windows, it would probably be around 35, since I keep everything on a Amazon Cloud Drive and only Pictures that I am always accessing on my laptop.

bro67, Mar 28, 2016
  13. msjs91011 Win User

I have the usb manager because I have a printer I have been trying to get working thru the router and the USB control center is whats needed for each wireless device to access the printer.

How about the netgear wndr4000 ? I replaced it with the belkin due to the availability of the usb but tbgh I want to just return the belkin because the ONE computer that NEEDS to print, doesnt, and that's my wife's. My 2 laptops have no problem at all but her laptop refuses to hold a conn to the printer long enough to send the data to be printed. I have another thread on that but it's gotten 0 activity, so I've all but given up already. I need another way to make my printer be able to stand alone (not wired to a pc) but still print when i need it to.

But yeah, why's my belkin crippled? Does the 4000 look better? Finally, thanks for your input. I feel like it fell just shy of the original problem here, but its definitely good info that I appreciate. The pc used for speccy is a hp g7 its i think 5 years old? now. I have a dell inspiron 15 that I am transferring all my g7 data to.

msjs91011, Mar 28, 2016
  14. linw Win User
    Honestly, you are fighting a losing battle trying to copy 500GB wireless to wireless. It would be bad enough over wired gigabit.

Why on earth don't you connect them by cable via a gigabit switch? Even if you only do this for the big copy.

15. bro67 Win User
    I would go with a separate Network printer Server and go with a Gateway with Wireless that has antennas, not one of thr flat panel models.

The flat panel models tend to get warm from the antenna and the chipset for wireless.

Stay with something newer that is still supported and all you really need is N300, since you most likely only have one antenna in that laptop. I would have to try and find the service manual or wifi info to see if it can even do 300.

bro67, Mar 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Slow Data Transfer Speeds in Home Network Between PCs - Similar Threads - Slow Data Transfer

2. Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC: I have a few computers on a wifi home network, all running windows 11 or windows 10. Internet speed is very good for all the PCs, and copy speed over the network is good between all computers except one.This problematic PC windows 11 has good speed connecting to the internet...
  3. Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow transfer speed over home network on 1 PC: I have a few computers on a wifi home network, all running windows 11 or windows 10. Internet speed is very good for all the PCs, and copy speed over the network is good between all computers except one.This problematic PC windows 11 has good speed connecting to the internet...
  4. Slow data transfer speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow data transfer speed: I bought HP-15dk0045tx recently with 8 gb ram. Afer two months i have data transfer speed issue. My pc transfers data to USB at less than 2 mbp. i have tried at 3.0 port but nothing changed. But same USB transfers data at good speed in other laptop. I m really worried...
  5. LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs: I'm trying to transfer videos and photos from my old PC to the new but the transfer rate is very slow. I have a gigabit router and both PCs are wired. Sometimes it gets to around 900Mbps then drops down to 50Mbps or even zero. Both PCs are on Windows 10 Pro 1809. So far I...
  6. Data transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    Data transfer speeds: Morning all. Opinions needed, please... Is it best to simply install a USB 3.0 card into my computer (connect various USB drives to it), or buy a QNAP TS-231P for storage and backups? The USB 3.0 would be quicker for data transfer, versus the QNAP over LAN, no? PS: I...
  7. transfer files between computers on a home network

transfer files between computers on a home network: I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected...
  8. transfer files between computers on a home network

in Windows 10 Support
    transfer files between computers on a home network: I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected...
  9. Low intranet transfer speeds between windows PCs using gigabit network

Low intranet transfer speeds between windows PCs using gigabit network: Hello everyone, I decided to open this thread about a subject which has been discussed widely in different forums on the net, namely the extremely low transfer rates of data between PCs running Windows using a gigabit network, because I think to have observed something...
  10. Slow transfer speed between two builds

Slow transfer speed between two builds: Hey, y'all I just finished a new build and turned my old setup into a server/data host for my network. Both computers have a fresh install of windows and are connected together through a router with a Cat6 and Cat5 cable with a average connection of 200Down/30Up. Issue im...