Windows 10: Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

Discus and support Slow downs in SATA transfer speed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am having an odd issue where the transfer speed from my HDDs slows to unusable after my computer has been on for a while. I have my primary OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by whitebloodcell, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

I am having an odd issue where the transfer speed from my HDDs slows to unusable after my computer has been on for a while.

I have my primary OS drive as a Samsung 850 1TB SSD, paired with 2 x 3TB Toshiba HDDs. When I first start my computer, everything works as it should. After a few hours however, the transfer speed from the 3TB drives slows to around 200kb/s (according to resource monitor). At this speed the drives are almost unuseable. I am not quite sure where to begin diagnosing this problem. I am using an Asus Maximums VIII Hero Alpha motherboard with Core i5 6600K Skylake processor, and 16GB. As far as I can tell the problem is limited to the HDDs, not the SSD. Looking at resource monitor, there is nothing lse using the drive that would explain the transfer speed, and there are no processes overusing the CPU. There are no programs installed on the HDDs, they are used for storage only. One stores my docs, music and video files, the other contains backups of the other drive created by EaseUS. I use Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

If any other information would be useful, please ask. Any assistance would be appreciated.

:)

whitebloodcell, Sep 25, 2016
  2. Tesla3D Win User
    Tesla3D, Sep 25, 2016
  3. making a USB hard drive my primary hard drive

The internal SATA connection is significantly faster than USB read/write speeds. I'm no expert so I can't say how this would slow down the OS.

laudablepus, Sep 25, 2016
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

Change the SATA slot may helps.

Whatphoeb, Sep 27, 2016
  5. Did try that, same issue. Will try using the ASMedia controller though to see if it's and Intel issue. Have also updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest. At my wits end with this, brand new computer, brand new drives, and they are unuseable. Temps on the HDDs are around 35C, so not overheating. AHCI is enabled in BIOS. Drives are reporting as healthy in any and all analysis applications I've used.

Any other suggestions? Never come across this before so don't know what to do.

whitebloodcell, Sep 27, 2016
  6. Tried putting the drives on the ASMedia controller but the same issue seems to occur after a day or so, albeit not as severely as on the Intel controller. Still only getting around 4MB/s transfer speeds. Could it have anything to do with the computer going to sleep and the drives not waking properly?

whitebloodcell, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

1. Slow downs in SATA transfer speed - Similar Threads - Slow downs SATA

2. speed of file transfers suddenly slow down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speed of file transfers suddenly slow down: Hello , I bought my new laptop 1 month ago . I have lenovo ideapad 3 gaming with rtx 3060 , windows 11 , 256gb ssd , 1tb hdd . i have an issue that my file transfer is very slow and i think it's after the update or i don't know what causes this problem . so help me to solve...
  3. speed of file transfers suddenly slow down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speed of file transfers suddenly slow down: Hello , I bought my new laptop 1 month ago . I have lenovo ideapad 3 gaming with rtx 3060 , windows 11 , 256gb ssd , 1tb hdd . i have an issue that my file transfer is very slow and i think it's after the update or i don't know what causes this problem . so help me to solve...
  4. LAN transfer speed slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN transfer speed slow: I'm copying large amount of files from another PC, about 40gb, but the speed is quite slow, about 25-30 MB/s despite I have a Gigabit router. So far I've tried disabling LSO on one PC, the other PC don't have that options. Also I disabled global autotuning on both PC. Then...
  5. Ridiculously slow transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ridiculously slow transfer speeds: I have been having an issue with file transfers starting at 300MB/s then tapering down to around 20-30MB/s (as low as 6MB/s on the Firecuda) This is based on a 26.4 GB folder of Karaoke files (CDG & MP3 only). This seems ridiculously slow to me. I am not sure how to tell if...
  6. Slow write speed of transfer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow write speed of transfer: My dell 7577 core I7 1050ti model has a slow transfer speed. I transferred a 5 gigabyte file to an external USB 3.1 Kingston DT50 and I got write speed of 8 MB/s. and the read speed was capped at 21 MB/s although I used to get at least 80 MB/s read speed. Please help!...
  7. Windows 10 slows down USB 3.0 transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 slows down USB 3.0 transfer speeds: I have been testing my Lenovo W550s USB 3.0 speeds. When I am using my backup software Macrium Reflect it can reach speeds of 1Gb/s and average speed for the backup us 600Mb/s. When I just do a file copy in Windows 10 Explorer, cut/paste or copy/paste I get transfers of...
  8. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...
  9. Slow SATA Speed On Windows 10

Slow SATA Speed On Windows 10: Hi, Just last week I upgraded my computer from an Intel i5 2500 that was on the ASUS P8 B75 board with USB 3.0 to an Intel i5 6500 on the MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC with USB 3.1. The issue I am now having is that my read speeds from any sata drive is super slow, about...
  10. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sata to sata transfer speed slow