Windows 10: Slow Folder Loading when sorting by Date

Discus and support Slow Folder Loading when sorting by Date in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am a photographer and needless to say have thousands of photos on my computer. However, I've noticed since upgrading to Windows 10 that a folder with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bkushner, Aug 8, 2015.

1. bkushner Win User

Slow Folder Loading when sorting by Date

I am a photographer and needless to say have thousands of photos on my computer. However, I've noticed since upgrading to Windows 10 that a folder with only 5 jpeg's can take 10 seconds to load (with the green process bar) if I sort by date. Seems to be fine with file name sort.

It's been quite annoying..I've noticed this on two separate computers. I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro. Tried turning on and of indexing made no difference...Tried the windows 8 fix of changing directory properties to General instead of photos, again nothing I've tried makes a difference. Thanks

:)

bkushner, Aug 8, 2015

2. Preload a folder / sort by date permanent?

I'm copying this from another forum I posted in because I had no replies.

Is there a way to have windows keep a folder loaded and sorted to how I have it set?

I have a large images folder with various file names that I've downloaded from the interwebs, over 7.7k images not put in other folders. I have it set to "sort by" "date, descending", and "group by" is left unchecked. The problem
    is that when I first open the folder either after a restart or not accessing that folder in a while, it has to re-sort it. What I mean is that when I open it, everything is sorted by name and then it starts sorting it by date like how it's set to. That would
    be fine but it takes over 3 and a half minutes to finish sorting. Yes, I timed it. There has got to be a way to either have the folder pre-loaded so it doesn't have to load it all from the HDD, or have the default sorting set to date.

Nathan Clark_, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Photo order (sorting) - by date

Probably, they assumed that you wouldn't be editing the photos on the phone unless you were using the phone's built-in editor (which always saves a duplicate). Not sure that there's any work-around, there may be some alternative gallery applications out
    there which would sort by the date taken. Nokia Photo Browser maybe.

sockatume---01, Aug 8, 2015
  4. sml156 Win User

It takes quite a while to index a folder or drive I usually leave the computer running for half a day for it to do it's thing

sml156, Aug 9, 2015
  5. bkushner Win User
    I've been running for about a week or more now!

bkushner, Aug 9, 2015
  6. xGMANx Win User
    I want to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 . I only want to save the photos and the favorites in my ( IE) Internet Explorer. How do I go about it? At the moment, I don't have a disc or USB media drive. anything I can use online? Thanks.

xGMANx, Aug 9, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    If you have a MS Account. then do the followings:
    • Open IE Explorer. Right click on title bar and put a check mark on "Menu bar"
    • Click on File->Import and Export then export your Favorites to Desktop
    • Sign in Onedrive: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. with your account and password.
    • Drag the bookmarks and drop to the browser to upload to onedrive.
    • Select all your photos. Again drag & drop to the browser to upload to onedrive.
    • Now you can fresh install Windows.
    • Sign back in to Onedrive and download what you saved in step 4 & 5
    • Open IE and import the bookmarks
    • done.

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

@bkushner
    Unless you want to do a fresh install of Windows then it will clear up some of your problems. If not, there's a lot of junk that was carried over from the previous Windows. One of them is Windows.edb (Search index database). Open the services, temporarily disable Windows Search service. Turn on the folder options to show hidden files and navigate to:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows and delete Windows.edb
    Go back to services and re-enable Windows Search to automatic and let Windows rebuild the search index database.

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2015
  9. bkushner Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I am trying this but it won't allow me to delete the folder, says it's in use by Windows Search. I even tried after rebooting..

bkushner, Aug 18, 2015
  10. bkushner Win User
    Top this fixed my problems. Booted to Safe Mode in order to delete this search file and rebooted and working like a charm now..thanks!!!

bkushner, Aug 19, 2015
  11. Jcpstrat Win User
    Thank you bkushner! I had a similar problem and your fix worked for me too. In fact any sorting in a folder view would take over 5 min.. I did notice that if I dropped back a level and then returned to the folder that was taking so long to sort, it would be sorted. This only happened on my desktop, not my tablet. One word of caution for anyone else trying this fix. After I rebooted out of Safe Mode, it didn’t initially seem to work. I walked away for an hour and when I came back to post that it didn’t work for me … it was working. *Smile

Jcpstrat, Sep 7, 2015
  12. None of the things mentioned worked for me. I solved this by unchecking the "Allow Files in the folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" option. You do this by first getting the Properties of the folder, then on the General tab press the Advanced button in the Attributes section. Apply the changes to the folder and , subfolders and files.

JustDaveIII, Jun 29, 2016
  13. quasar Win User

The solution for me was to replace the Date column with the Date Modified column. This is because Date is not stored in the filesystem metadata, but instead has to be extracted from each individual file (unless it's preloaded in the search index).

To reconfigure Explorer's columns, right click a column header and choose 'More...'.

Source: Stack Exchange.

quasar, Aug 5, 2016
  14. Jonw9 Win User
    Thank you!*Smile

Jonw9, Aug 27, 2016
  15. Jonw9 Win User
    If all else fails, Everything software can find the file you want instantly. My favorite Search vehicle.

Jonw9, Sep 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Slow Folder Loading when sorting by Date - Similar Threads - Slow Folder Loading

2. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting folders by date modified: Hello everyoneI moved a folder that has a lot of folders and files from one hard disk to another, the thing is I like my data to be sorted by date modified which I did, however, the folders aren't sorted by date modified for some reason even though the files "videos" are...
  3. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting folders by date modified: Hello everyoneI moved a folder that has a lot of folders and files from one hard disk to another, the thing is I like my data to be sorted by date modified which I did, however, the folders aren't sorted by date modified for some reason even though the files "videos" are...
  4. Sorting folders by date modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sort folders by date in name

Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  6. Folders sorted by Date Modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders sorted by Date Modified: I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. All of my work related folders are sorted based on Date Modified because I need to know which folders were recently accessed to had changes made to them. Everything is fine until I reset the laptop. Once the machine is back and running,...
  7. Folders sorted by Date Modified

Folders sorted by Date Modified: I am running Windows 11 on my laptop. All of my work related folders are sorted based on Date Modified because I need to know which folders were recently accessed to had changes made to them. Everything is fine until I reset the laptop. Once the machine is back and running,...
  8. folder stuck on sorting by date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder stuck on sorting by date: i was trying to sort by date on my pictures folder and it worked fine, changing it to sort by name also works, and that is what i keep it on now. but when i try to upload files to the internet, internet explorer opens up and it sorts by date on my pictures folder, and only in...
  9. folder sorting by date modified

folder sorting by date modified: might seem stupid but i just got a new laptop and ran into this problem when trying to set up. one of the things i need is to sort files in the 'downloads' folder by date modified, so i can find the ones most recently downloaded at the top. However, i found this was not the...
  10. Sort by date added to folder

Sort by date added to folder: I would like to sort by date added to a folder. None of the date options seem able to recognise when something was added to a folder. Is this possible? This question has been asked many times - but I couldn't find an answer that was current....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folder slow load in pc when sort by date