Windows 10: Slow Login on Occasions?

Discus and support Slow Login on Occasions? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently installed a SSD and clean installed Windows 10 and just a few applications such as Office 2010 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2016. A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steve C, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Slow Login on Occasions?

I recently installed a SSD and clean installed Windows 10 and just a few applications such as Office 2010 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2016.

A cold boot to the login screen takes 15s (fast start up disabled). I have one Microsoft account and two local user accounts. Logging into these takes 3-6s from entering the password.

On occasions, the login can take about 25s and you just see the spinning wheel until the desktop appears. There are no obvious associated errors in the Event Log.

What may cause this occasional slow log in delay and is there a way of tracing what is happening?

:)

Steve C, Jan 26, 2016

2. Slow startup after Windows 10 Threshold 2 update

Nope, still a slow boot and slow login on my Alienware Area-51 R2 desktop.

DaniëlPlooij, Jan 26, 2016
  3. Slow Startup After Upgrade to 10 Version 1511 (build 10586.36)

Is the slowness prior to the login screen showing? Or to phrase another way, is the system fresh and performs well after you login?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 26, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Slow Login on Occasions?

In Event Viewer, look at -> Applications and Services > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance.

Click the Operational log. Boot duration, shutdown duration are listed there. True or false of IsDegradation shows the performance.

Private, Jan 26, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    That's a good place to look! I found at entry correlated with last night's slow log in. I have an Event 110 "Session manager initialisation caused a slow down in the start up process"

I'll investigate what this means but any ideas are welcome.

I also spotted elsewhare oin this Forum that Windows runs a task to update Apps every time a user logs on (see Task Manager Task WindowsUpdate/Automatic App Updates). I've disabled that for the time being.

Steve C, Jan 26, 2016
  6. Private Win User
    EventID 110 mean that some essential Windows component has caused a delay in startup, shutdown or standby.

Normally, if the component been shutdown while it's still working on something, it'll will delay the shutdown process a little and also on the next startup. Leave the computer idle for a minute or so before turn it off, try it, it'll shutdown and boot up cleanly.

Private, Jan 26, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    I'm still having this problem i.e. on occasions (about 1 in 10 logins), the login can take about 25s and you just see the spinning wheel until the desktop appears. There are no obvious errors in Event Viewer or Reliability History and Windows 10 and drivers are up to date.

Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this problem further?

Steve C, Apr 3, 2016
  8. Slow Login on Occasions?

If you are connected via Wi-Fi, you can often see varying login times based on various wireless factors.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2016
  9. jm44jg39 Win User
    I have been having the same issue. I have build 14295 installed and seems to be running well. I found if I disable "Fast Startup" in the Power config. menu it greatly improves my boot time. By disabling Fast Start also deletes the hiberfil.sys file (Hibernate is off). Could there be an issue with "Fast Startup" ??

jm44jg39, Apr 4, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    I'm on build 10586.164. I've now disabled fast start up but I still experience the occasional slow login problem. There are no obvious errors in the Event Log or Reliability History.

Steve C, Apr 6, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    I've just discovered that I no longer have the slow login problem on occasions if I turn off Automatic App Updates in my main user account. When I update apps manually in Store, the next restart takes a while to login - so the slow login is correlated when app updates occur.

I don't know if this is 'feature' of W10 or a problem with my PC. Anyway, I'm happy to update apps manually since I rarely use them anyway.

Steve C, Apr 21, 2016
  12. jm44jg39 Win User
    Thanks....I will try this.

jm44jg39, Apr 21, 2016
  13. Steve C Win User

Slow Login on Occasions?

That fix didn't work since I've a a few start up delays during the past week.

Steve C, Apr 28, 2016
  14. webdove Win User
    If you have Kaspersky, pause it the next time you restart. Having it on always causes my login after restart to take several minutes unless I unplug the Internet. I presume that it is doing something during login that slows things.

webdove, Jun 8, 2016
  15. Steve C Win User
    I just updated my desktop PC to Windows 10 Pro and that too now has occasional slow logins with no obvious errors reported. Bothe Pcs do have Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016.

Steve C, Jun 12, 2016
Thema:

Slow Login on Occasions?

1. Slow Login on Occasions? - Similar Threads - Slow Login Occasions

2. Windows 11 no response on occasion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 no response on occasion: My OS is Windows 11. Sometimes, my OS will not respond to any of my action after around 1 min of boot. I have to force restart it.The error seems to beThe computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f 0x0000000000000003, 0xffffbd0f5fb10b50,...
  3. Windows 11 no response on occasion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 no response on occasion: My OS is Windows 11. Sometimes, my OS will not respond to any of my action after around 1 min of boot. I have to force restart it.The error seems to beThe computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f 0x0000000000000003, 0xffffbd0f5fb10b50,...
  4. windows slow login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows slow login: hello i'm a user of windows 10 . i have a desktop and whenever i press the cpu button and the computer starts the screen is hanged with a black screen and cursor for 5 - 10 minutes please tell what can i do...
  5. windows slow login

windows slow login: hello, i am a user of windows 10 from the past 9 years. but from the last 6 months whenever i login and the put the password the windows takes almost 2 minutes to start. i tried everything - can sfc scan, performed a clean boot, stopped all the background apps closed all...
  6. BOSD on random occasions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BOSD on random occasions: Hi guys. My dad bought me a beast of a computer which i'm very thankful for. The specs are: Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59GHz Video Card: Radeon RX 570 Series RAM: 8 GB submitted by /u/onecoolredditboi [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows running slow at random occasions despite low hardware usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows running slow at random occasions despite low hardware usage: So my laptop as started to run slow without an apparent reason. It used to run everything smoothly, but starting today, it was extremely slow booting up and using every kind of programs. I checked the task manager multiple times and nothing seems to be the apparent cause of...
  8. Diagnosing Slow Login

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Diagnosing Slow Login: My Dell laptop is still taking about 10 secs to login despite having a SSD drive and just being upgraded to v2004 (it was the same before the upgrade). I've disabled obvious third party stuff I don't need in Autoruns. Doing a clean boot by disabling third party service in...
  9. BSOD on occasion (1909)

BSOD on occasion (1909): Hello, I occasionally have BSODs. The screens are really difficult to pin down, as they are happen when web browsing or desktop browsing, and they can happen infrequently (ranging between 9 and 40 days). HARLEEN-(2020-05-14_10-35-54).zip - Google Drive This dump may...
  10. Slow Login Troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow Login Troubleshooting: My Dell laptop is taking about 10 seconds to login whereas it use to be much faster. I found a tip about setting the Group Policy Option "Display highly detailed status messages" as shown below. This shows most of the login time is spent on "Preparing Windows". Any tips on...